Mill Creek Magic Messages
News and Updates from Mr. Ortman and Mr. Murtha 11/11/2022
Saluting our Military Veterans!
Mill Creek honored our Veterans during Veteran’s Day by holding an assembly, this morning, to recognize and salute their service. 21 service veterans of various military branches were able to join us. We recognized their service through a musical performance, video tribute, and some very touching letters of thanks written by our students. Our Veteran visitors were also able to enjoy some morning treats (special thanks to Bagel Barn and the Dunkin on Old 202/Moyer!).
We hope our guests of honor left our tribute feeling appreciated and knowing how much we value the years of service they gave to protect our country and our freedoms!
- Monday, November 14-Friday, November 18 - American Education Week
- Wednesday, November 23-Friday, November 25 - Thanksgiving Break (no school)
- Friday, December 2 - End of 1st Trimester (early dismissal) - No AM Kindergarten; PM Kindergarten attends in the AM
- Monday, December 12 - Conferences (early dismissal) - No Kindergarten
- Tuesday, December 13 - Conferences (early dismissal) - No Kindergarten
- Wednesday, December 14 - No PM Kindergarten (AM attends)
- Thursday, December 15 - No AM Kindergarten (PM attends in the PM)
Volunteer to Help During our 6th Grade Ice Skating Party!
Calling all Creekers! It's Time for the Mill Creek Apparel Sale!
It’s time to update your wardrobe and show your Mill Creek school spirit! We have many new selections to choose from!
- The Mill Creek Apparel Sale is happening now thru November 18, 2022.
- All sales are final. No exchanges or refunds.
- All orders will be shipped to Mill Creek about 3-4 weeks after the sale ends.
- Visit the link below to order. Youth and Adult sizes are available.
If you have any questions, please reach out to Amanda Schlueter at email@example.com.
FROM MR. ORTMAN and MR. MURTHA
We had an opportunity to recognize our Veterans of military service on this Veteran's Day, holding a school-wide assembly to honor 21 special visitors, erecting our Veteran's Day Wall of Honor, having students write letters of appreciation to our Veterans, and conducting a variety of classroom activities focused on Veteran's Day. As adults, we understand the importance of showing our appreciation for the service of our military Veterans and the many sacrifices they made in service to our country and working to protect our freedom. We also believe that, as adults, it is our responsibility to get our youth involved in celebrating, recognizing, and thanking those who have given so much to us. A huge thank you to our many teachers who incorporated Veteran's Day into their instruction and especially to Ms. Regec and Ms. Cocca, who coordinated our Veteran's Day Assembly!
The most thanks, however, goes out to our military Veteran's... especially those who are part of our greater Mill Creek Community!
John C. Murtha
Instructional Spotlight - Ms. Mitnik, 3rd Grade
Ms. Mitnik may be one of our newest Mill Creek teachers, but her instruction is that of a seasoned professional! She consistently displays strong technology skills, especially in using CB’s newest technology tool, the ClearTouch, to support classroom instruction. During a recent visit, Ms. Mitnik was conducting a review activity for Reading that asked students to identify parts of a story. She used her ClearTouch to display questions for the class, and they wrote their responses on individual white boards (a sans technology elementary school favorite!). Ms. Mitnik’s enthusiasm, technology acumen, and ability to connect with students through engaging activities have her students enjoying their time with her, and learning a lot, each day!
Registration for students entering kindergarten in fall of 2023 will open on November 7, 2022 (First Grade registration will open later this school year)!
2023-2024 New Student Registration
Kindergarten students MUST be five (5) years of age on or before September 1, 2023. No exceptions. Please note: Kindergarten program session requests (AM/PM) should be directed to the school once registration is complete.
2023-2024 Grade One Eligibility
First grade students must be six (6) years of age before September 1, 2023 (See Board Policy 201). No exceptions. The District does not make age exceptions for children who have attended an approved private kindergarten elsewhere.
Extra-Curricular Opportunities/Community Events...
FROM OUR SCHOOL NURSE...
REQUIRED HEALTH EXAMINATIONS FOR THE 2022-2023 SCHOOL YEAR:
The State of Pennsylvania mandates the following health examinations:
- Students entering Kindergarten and all students new to the district-- Dental Exam and Physical Exam
- Students entering Grades 3 and 7--Dental Exam
- Students entering Grade 6 and 11-- Physical Exam
DENTAL EXAM FORM---https://www.cbsd.org/cms/lib/PA01916442/Centricity/Domain/403/Forms/dentalexam_formH514027.pdf
PHYSICAL EXAM FORM-- https://www.cbsd.org/cms/lib/PA01916442/Centricity/Domain/403/PHYSICAL%20EXAM%20form%202012.pdf
Parents are urged to have physical and dental examinations completed by their family physician or dentist. Exams may be completed any time after September 1, 2021 The completed health forms are due to the health office no later than October 15, 2022. Please keep a copy of the health form for your records.
For Qualifying Families, Apply for Free and Reduced Lunch - It's Easy!
- English: https://vimeo.com/748146211
- Espanol: https://vimeo.com/748143109
Voluntary Information Sharing Across Programs for Free and Reduced Lunch Families...
Dear Mill Creek Families,
Please see the link below to a form that allows Free and Reduced Lunch families to share their information with other programs and ease the burden of having to sign up for support for each one individually.
Thank you, and have a great day!
Estimadas familias de Mill Creek,
Consulte el siguiente enlace a un formulario que permite a las familias de almuerzo gratuito y reducido compartir su información con otros programas y aliviar la carga de tener que inscribirse para recibir apoyo para cada uno individualmente.
¡Gracias, y que tengas un gran día!
Student Laptop Expectations
Additionally, if your child loses or misplaces their laptop case, please reach out to the Mill Creek Main Office.
District Laptop and iPad Care
- Please encourage your children to use their laptop/iPad bags for carrying devices in school, at home, and to and from each location.
- Please encourage your children to report issues/problems with their devices, so they can be properly address and fixed as soon as possible.
- The laptop/iPad payment fee covers accidental damage. Intentional damage may result in a family being billed for the damage.
Schools will be communicating these messages in school as well.
We appreciate your support!
Inclement Weather Procedures for Car Riders - Dismissal
New Volunteer Procedures...
Mr. Shawn Ortman
Mr. John C. Murtha