How to Fill Out a 1040EZ
Trust me it's EZ-er than it looks.
Step on How to Fill Out a 1040EZ
2. Go to your 1099INT form again to find the box that says Taxable interest, and put that number in box #2 (If the number is over 1,500 you are unable to finish this form or to do this form.)
3. This is just for unemployment. If you do not compensate for unemployment then you just put a zero in the box.
4. Add lines 1,2, and 3 to get your adjusted gross income
5.This line is asking whether or not you can be claimed by another person as a dependent, or if you file as an individual. It also asks you whether or not you file with a spouse or if you are single. If you can be claimed as a dependent you will have to fill out another part of the form to get the amount you need for the next part. If you don't get claimed you will put the amount of money that they tell you to in the box.
6. You will subtract line 5 from line 4 to get your taxable income, if line 5 is larger than line 4 than you would just put down a zero in the box.
7. Back to your W-2 form to find the Federal Income taxes that were withheld.
8a. Earned Income Credit (EIC)
8b. This is the part of your form that involves Nontaxable Combat pay, if you were ever in the armed forces and shipped into war then you will put the amount given in the form. If you were never in the armed forces then you will put a zero in the box.
9.Add the amounts from 7 and 8a to get your total payments and credits.
10. For this you will use the amount that you got from line 6 to find the tax portion of your form. You will take this number and go to your tax table depending on what amount you have is the number that you will get.For example from Arnold Johnson's 1040EZ he had $24,950 on line 6 he will have to go to his tax table .You take to the amount and go to the chart on the back of your W-2 form to find your tax.
11. This portion of the form is for healthcare, if you are liable for healthcare fill out this box accordingly if not then put a zero in the box provided.
12. For this portion you will have to add lines 10 and 11 to get your total tax
13a. For this line you will do some math but only if line 9 is larger than line 12, if so you will subtract the 2 this is your refund.
14. For this line you will do the opposite of line 13a but only if line 12 is larger than line 9, if so then you will subtract the 2 to get your refund, the amount you owe.