Riverside High School
Parent Newsletter- September 21st, 2020
12 National Merit Semifinalist
RHS was informed that it had a GCS high of 12 National Merit Semifinalists for 2021. Congratulations to Quinn Berzins, Kevin Fu, Manasvini Garigipati, Laurel Holley, Alvin Hong, Zachary Simpson, Bryce Taylor, Cameron Tsai, Harper Uhlemann, Derek Xie, Brian Yoon and Victor Zhao.
AP and SAT
RHS did extremely well on the SAT and AP Exams during the 2019-20 school year. Riverside joined five other Greenville high schools with an SAT average that scored above the state and national average. Riverside had the highest AP Exam passage rate in Greenville with a 79% rate.
RHS finished strong in 2019-20 in Career and Technical Education. Outside of the four Career Centers, RHS finished with 35 students that earned a "completer" status in a particular professional field, while also earning a district-leading 345 total certifications.
12 National Merit Semifinalist
AP and SAT
eLearning and Virtual School Reminders
Information From the Counseling Department
- Seniors - Virtual College Application Day – 9/25/20 from 10am-12pm. Mrs. Rogers, other school counselors, and admissions reps from local colleges will meet with seniors on Google Meet to discuss their college applications and answer questions about how to apply. Seniors, you will receive a Google Meet link in your school email. Please join and drop in any time between 10am-12pm on Friday, 9/25/20.
- REMINDER – For those seniors who signed up for the make-up SAT - Wed. 9/23/20 (Green/Blue students) or Tues. 10/27/20 (Red/Purple students). Students were notified and reminded to sign up again if they were still interested. Wednesday, September 23rd is for Green/Blue students, and Tuesday, October 27th will be for the Red/Purple students
- All grades – Please see the new School Counseling website for information for all students at every grade level: https://sites.google.com/greenvilleschools.us/rhsschoolcounseling/home. Please contact your school counselor any time you have questions or concerns.
Check out our new Attendance Website!
Please see the school's new "Attendance Website" for all questions about student attendance. You will also get information on how to submit notes and documentation to the school for your student.
SAT Testing Information
Attention Students Taking the SAT: Students that signed up to take the Fall SAT makeup Exam, the Blue/Green Group will take the exam on Wednesday, September 23, while students in the Red/Purple Group will take the SAT Exam on Tuesday, October 27. Students be advised that pre-coding will occur the day of the exam and not prior. Please see Mr. Irvin if you have any questions.
firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Financial Aid Workshops
Parents are invited to attend one of four virtual financial aid workshops sponsored by Greenville County Schools. All workshops are open to the public. Hear from school counselors and college financial aid officers regarding the most current financial aid information. All types of financial aid, including scholarships, grants, and loans will be discussed. Please click the link for more information.
Senior Students and Parents:
- Watch the following Senior Class Meeting video, from Herff Jones, with information about Riverside High School graduation supplies! This video can also be found on the new School Counseling website under the “Senior” class page.
- Seniors MUST order a cap and gown to walk at graduation. If you have concerns about ordering a cap and gown please reach out to your school counselor. Senior Class Meeting video - vimeo.com/443459473
Football Tickets & Gameday Information
Please see the following information regarding football game tickets and gameday information at Riverside High School. Please be reminded that due to COVID-19, our stadium capacity has been greatly reduced and only a certain amount of tickets will be available for each home game. Please know that game day policies will be strictly enforced, and your cooperation will be greatly appreciated. We cannot wait to see our Warriors play this year under new head coach Erie Williams. A reminder that Riverside High School hosts Dorman on Friday, September 25 in a Region 2-AAAAA contest.
Riverside High School Athletics
Riverside High School will begin hosting athletic events this week. Please see all of the information below in regards to athletics. We are excited to see our Warriors in action. Athletics Information:
- Clear Bag Policy is Still in Effect
- RHS Gym "Covid-19" Capacity is 256 Individuals
- Tickets Can Be Purchased Online Via GoFan.co
- Tickets Can Be Purcahsed at the Door with a Debit/Credit Card; NO CASH ACCEPTED
- Gym Will Be Taped in Groups of 4. No More than 4 People May Sit in a Pod
- ONLY SCHSL Passes Will be Accepted Until We Are at Capacity or Tickets Are Sold Out
- Spectators MUST Wear a Mask and Stay 6-Feet Socially Distanced at ALL TIMES
- Covid-19: If You Feel Sick or Have a Fever, Please Stay Home; If You Have Been Exposed to Covid-19, Please Stay Home
- Any seniors interested in applying to Davidson College and being nominated for the Bryan Scholarship should see their counselor. The Bryan Scholarship nomination deadline is Monday, September 28. To submit a nomination, please go to this link - HYPERLINK "https://www.davidson.edu/admission-and-financial-aid/financial-aid/merit-scholarships/nomination-scholarships/lowell-l-bryan-scholarship" https://www.davidson.edu/admission-and-financial-aid/financial-aid/merit-scholarships/nomination-scholarships/lowell-l-bryan-scholarship. Each school may have up to three nominees. You must be a varsity athlete in a certain list of approved sports and plan to play at Davidson. You must submit a transcript and recommendation with the nomination form. Your nominee(s) must submit a full, completed application for admission by October 15th
- Attention Current and Former Art Students: National Art Honor Society is now accepting members. If you were a member last year, please join again, even if you cannot be in an Art class this year. If you are new to an Art Studio class this year, you are eligible!
- Be part of an organization that provides needed items and artwork to the community and our school, and also participates in art-related activities.
- You may join by paying dues on MySchoolBucks. - $7 for Underclassmen. Seniors -$20 (Dues of $7 and senior cords of $13). See any of the art teachers for more information.
- Members - please join NAHS Google Classroom - Code ecogutn - to receive details about upcoming events! Mrs. Bianchi is the point of contact.
- Anyone in the class of 2024 interested in joining student council? The freshmen election process is open! The application can be found on Miss Nance's website. Applications are due by 4pm on Tuesday, September 22, 2020. If you have questions stop by H-104, Miss Nance's room, or email her at HYPERLINK "mailto:email@example.com" firstname.lastname@example.org.
- National Honor Society will begin accepting applications in early October. Please begin watching the announcements for details at the end of September.
- Are you interested in pursuing a business career? Join DECA, and explore career paths, gain experience, and meet an international community of more than 215,00 student business leaders. If you are interested, fill out this interest form: HYPERLINK "https://forms.gle/M6Nj4c6WknxxVoA58" \t "_blank" https://forms.gle/M6Nj4c6WknxxVoA58 Contact Mrs. Brewster if you have any questions.
- Underclassmen Makeup Portraits will be here at Riverside on September 30 and October 1. If you didn't attend orientation in person or didn't like your picture, plan to dress for portraits on your attendance day. We will take makeup photos of all underclassmen between 8:45am-11am those days.
- Seniors - if you missed senior portraits you have one last chance! Call Images TODAY to schedule a makeup session. The number is 864-834-4261. You must have an appointment to take part. Please check the RHS website for information on attire. ALL SENIOR PORTRAITS ARE TAKEN IN TRAVELERS REST AT THE IMAGES STUDIO.
- All members of the French Honor Society should pay their $3.00 dues for the 2020-21 School Year. This will be done through MY SCHOOL BUCKS. Our induction Ceremony scheduled last spring was cancelled, but if you paid your joining fee last year then you are automatically an official member this year. We will discuss how to honor our new members at a later date. The Google Classroom Code for French Honor Society is q3nf3kn. If you have questions email Leslie Gallagher at HYPERLINK "mailto:email@example.com" firstname.lastname@example.org
Breakfast and Lunch information
- Breakfast and lunch is now free to all children under 18 years of age until December 31, 2021.
- Take home meals are also free to all children under 18 years of age until December 31, 2021.
- Take Home meals will continue to be offered during Phase 2. The meals will include breakfast and lunch for the days that you are e-learning.
- Take Home orders should be placed on or before the day(s) you are on campus.
- For Example: If you attend Monday and Wednesday and you would like to take the extra meals, you will need to place an order on or before Monday and again on or before Wednesday.
Please call the cafeteria 355-7808 if you would like more information about the take home meal program.
Lunch is a choice of Regular or Spicy chicken sandwich, Cheeseburger, Pizza or a Deli Sandwich with Fries or carrots and fruit or milk.
We are selling Chips and drinks in the cafeteria for breakfast and lunch.
- Girls basketball will be having preseason weight lifting and conditioning Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 3:45-4:45 starting Monday September 21. All girls interested in playing basketball are encouraged to attend the workouts as long as you have your planeths forms and physical completed. If you have any questions please see Coach Jones in the gym or email her at HYPERLINK "mailto:email@example.com" firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Softball Meeting has been moved. Any girl interested in Softball for the 2020-2021 season needs to plan to meet after school on Monday, September 21st @ the softball field regarding important information about the fall and spring season
- Attention to all those interested in joining the Riverside Wrestling Program, we are beginning our preseason weight training and conditioning sessions on M-W-TH from 5:15 to 6:30pm at RHS. Meet in the hallway outside the weight room. Please contact Coach Prescott at 864-320-7701 or Coach Pettit if you have any questions. Looking forward to seeing you all there!
Creating a Backpack Account for Parents
Please take the time to create a backpack account for parents. A backpack for parents account provides parents, guardians, or contacts with a central place to sign in to do the following:
- View their student's information including demographics, attendance, classes, grades, lunch balances, and test scores
- Apply or register their student to Special Focus schools and programs (Fine Arts Center, Career Centers, etc.)
- Receive alerts and notifications regarding their students
- View their student's school and contact information
- Manage parent and contact information for their students
To create your parent backpack account follow the attached directions. Please note that parents only need to create a backpack account once. This is not an annual process.
Destination Return to School - Parent Resource Guide - Back to School Information 2020-2021
Please see the links attached below to all information regarding returning to school this fall (Virtual and Traditional). Please see the attached flyer that gives a two-page overview of the return to school plan. The ebook provides additional details that we believe will be important to many parents. It is a long document, but has been bulleted and categorized for easy access and reading.