Tech It Out! #30
May 26, 2015 - Backing Up Your Computer
Enhance Teaching. Empower Learning.
As the year winds down, it's time to start thinking about end-of-year checkout. All computers will need to be turned in to Mike for cleaning and updates. Some things to note:
1. Please make sure all computers are being returned to the correct cart and/or classroom at the end of each day so we have accurate inventory.
2. Any classroom laptops that are not part of a laptop cart also need to be returned to Mike by the end of the year.
3. Teacher computers will be updated to a new operating system over the summer and several teachers will be receiving new laptops for next year, so it is important to make sure your files are backed up!
There are a variety of options for backing up your computer, but here are the ones Mike suggests:
- Option #1 - Any files that are stored in Google Drive will not be affected by computer updates, so that is always a good choice for saving important documents. It's also super easy to do! Check out the 8-second video below if you're not sure how.
- Option #2 - Make sure everything you need is saved to your user folder (see picture below). Mike is able to transfer those files over to a new or updated computer.
- Option #3 - Mike has external hard drives available - see him if you think you need to use one for storage.
- Option #4 - You can also talk to Mike about Time Machine backups for your Mac.
If you already have your own backup saved at home or on your own USB/external hard drive/etc, make sure Mike has the latest version when you turn in your computer for the summer.
As always, if you have any questions please feel free to contact me or Mike!