St. Michael Preschool News
Growing with God...
Dear St. Michael Preschool Parents,
The 2020-2021 school year is off to a great start! Thank you for entrusting your child to our loving care and for your support in making the first week of school such a positive experience for your child. Our dedicated teachers are committed to providing a safe, fun, and faith-filled year where we pray, play, and learn together while growing with God.
We are enjoying getting to know our preschoolers! We love seeing their excitement while they play and learn. Please refer to the teachers' daily communication and encourage your child to share a favorite part of their day or tell you about a new friend they made. We can’t wait for more fun adventures ahead as we continue to partner with you to create a strong home-school connection.
Thank you for your continued support and prayers. I hope you enjoy a safe holiday weekend. It’s always a blessing to have time to slow down and celebrate the love of family. Let all that you do be done in love. 1 Corinthians 16:14
NO SCHOOL - Monday, 9/7 - Labor Day
NO SCHOOL - Friday, 9/25 - Teacher Professional Development Day
IMPORTANT UPDATES & REMINDERS
Early Arrival & Lunch Program
Need some extra time to run errands or get to an appointment? We can help! We still have openings in our early arrival and lunch programs. Your child will enjoy the extra time to socialize and play!
Early Arrival - available daily, drop off begins at 8:15 am (Health Screening is at the small playground)
Lunch Program - available on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday beginning Sept. 14, pick up is at 1:30 pm at the playground
Email email@example.com to register.
We are currently planning for a Virtual Back to School Night for late September. Our goal is to give you an opportunity to check in with your child's teachers and the preschool office to get answers to any questions you may still have. This will not be a teacher conference or opportunity to discuss your child individually so please reach out through email or call the office if you have any immediate questions. More information will be sent home soon. Thank you!
If you need to reach the preschool staff, please call 919-468-6110, or in the case of an emergency and we can not be reached, call the parish office at 919-468-6100.
It is essential, particularly with sudden illness, a suspected case of the COVID-19, or another emergency, that the preschool office be able to reach you during the school day. Please make sure you keep your contact information as well as your emergency contacts up to date. Failure to be able to get in contact with you may result in dismissal from the program.
Blackboard Connect – All Call System
St. Michael Preschool uses Blackboard Connect, a one-call message service, to notify parents of school closings, emergencies, or other important preschool information. You will receive a “test” phone call on Tuesday, Sept 8.
The primary phone number on record will be used for non-emergency Blackboard Connect broadcast messages (ex: weather closures or unexpected school closures). In case of an emergency during school hours, a Blackboard Connect broadcast message will be sent to all phone numbers on record.
If you do not receive a “test” call on Tuesday, or you would like to edit or add a phone number to the emergency call system (e.g., grandparent, nanny, additional work phone numbers), please email Michele at firstname.lastname@example.org
Arrival & Dismissal Safety Reminders
- Arrival will begin no earlier than 9:15 am.
- Call or email the office if your child will be absent.
- Email or provide a note if your child will be picked up by someone other than those listed on your carpool list.
- Children will not be dismissed to anyone other than a parent or legal guardian without prior written permission and proper identification.
- Do not leave any children unattended in your car while you drop off or pick up your preschooler.
- Follow directional signs and use extra caution when driving through the parking lot.
- Be careful not to park in designated fire lanes.
- Hold children’s hands walking in the parking lot.
If you arrive late, please walk your child to the preschool front door and ring the bell. Your child will be health screened before entering the building.
If you need to sign your child out before normal dismissal time, please notify the preschool office in advance to plan for your child to be brought to the main courtyard entrance.
Please be prompt in picking your child up. Dismissal is at 12:30 pm at your assigned location. If you are late, you will need to ring the bell at the front door.
Please Note: Except in the case of an emergency, a fee of $10 for every ten minutes past dismissal is charged when children are picked up after 12:35 pm.
REQUIRED DAILY HEALTH SCREENINGS
Upon arrival each morning, children will have their temperature checked and parents will be asked screening questions. A temperature higher than 100.4 will result in the child’s exclusion from preschool.
If your child's temperature check is 100.4 or higher, we will recheck at least 2 more times, once with a temporal thermometer to ensure the reading was not due to being in the heat. However, we ask for your understanding that if after numerous checks, your child's temp is still 100.4 or higher, we will be unable to permit them to stay. This is required by the health department for the safety and well-being of our entire community.
A child must also be excluded from preschool if you answer yes to any of the following screening questions:
•Have you or any of the children you are dropping off had close contact (within 6 feet for at least 15 minutes) in the last 14 days with someone with symptoms of COVID-19 or diagnosed with COVID-19, or has any health department or health care provider been in contact with you and advised you to quarantine?
•Do you or any of the children you are dropping off have any of these symptoms: fever, chills, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, new cough, new loss of taste or smell?
•Since they were last at the preschool, have you or have any of the children you are dropping off been diagnosed with COVID-19?
LET'S WORK TOGETHER TO KEEP OUR COMMUNITY HEALTHY!
COVID-19 ILLNESS POLICY - Please stay home if you, your child, or family member:
- is experiencing COVID-like symptoms: fever, chills, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, new cough, or new loss of taste or smell
- have tested positive for COVID-19, awaiting COVID-19 test results, or experiencing COVID-19 like symptoms
- have been in direct contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID in the last 14 days, is awaiting COVID-19 test results, or is in quarantine for possible exposure
In answering the health screening questions each morning, parents are affirming the health of their child and recognize that if there is any doubt, they should keep their child home, for the benefit of all. Failure to comply with any of this policy may result in dismissal from our program.
*PLEASE NOTE: A child can return to preschool if they receive confirmation of an alternate diagnosis from a health care provider (doctor’s note is required), that would explain the COVID-19 like symptom(s), once there is no fever without fever-reducing medicines and they have felt well for 24 hours.
Illness Policy for Non-Covid Related Symptoms
To protect the health and well-being of all the children, please keep your child home if any of the following conditions exist:
- Frequent sneezing.
- A runny nose requiring constant wiping or accompanied by green drainage.
- Vomiting or diarrhea. Children should be kept home for 24 hours after vomiting and/or loose bowel movements have ceased.
Independently Potty Trained
Parents, please remember that children three and older must be independently potty trained to attend our preschool. Click Here to review our policy.
The following are a few popular books to help encourage your little one's potty progress: Once Upon a Potty by Alona Frankel, A Potty for Me by Karen Katz, Everyone Poops by Taro Gomi, My Big Boy Potty & My Big Girl Potty by Joanna Cole, Pirate Potty & Princess Potty by Samantha Berger.
Click Here for potty training tips. There are also a variety of potty-training videos for kids on YouTube.
Snack & Food Allergy Policy
- Children will bring their own snack to school. We ask that it be just one or two items that can be easily enjoyed by your child.
- Snacks may NOT contain peanuts/nuts or peanut/nut products. This includes foods that have been produced/processed in a plant with nut products.
- Avoid potential choking hazards - all grapes, cherries, and mini tomatoes need to be cut in half. Popcorn and hard candy are not permitted.
Power Snack Recommendations = 1 protein + 1 complex carbohydrate
- The combination of complex carbohydrates (fruits, veggies, and whole grains) with protein and heart-healthy fats, help children to maintain their energy levels for longer periods of time, thereby increasing your child's "learning ready" time.
- Snacks should include, when possible, natural foods that are high in protein and fiber, while low in sugars.
- Please send your child with a labeled water bottle from home or teachers will provide a disposable paper cup since water fountains will not be used.
- To avoid unnecessary sugars, only water (no juice) should be sent to school.
Support St. Michael Preschool
Your orders will help us accrue points to purchase books to grow our class libraries.
Parent Volunteer needed. If interested, please email email@example.com.
Harris Teeter Rewards
During your next visit, please share our Preschool Code which is 4159
Box Tops for Education
Scan your receipts to earn $$$ for our preschool. Thank you in advance for your support!
Parent Volunteer needed. If interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Church Ministry Coming Soon: St. Mike's Tikes & Families
We are very excited to present a new initiative... introducing St. Mike’s Tikes and families! It will be a group that provides families with young children an opportunity to gather, play, and pray! We are currently working on creating meaningful spiritual and social events as well as enriching weekly spiritual resources for our families with young children (birth-1st communion (2nd grade)). Please join our Facebook page and complete our survey below.
Facebook Page: St Mike's Tikes and families, this is a closed group and you will be verified prior to admission.
Survey Monkey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/C8TRNX9
Social Media - Please follow us on…