February 5, 2021
PROGRAM PLANNING SEASON IS HERE
Program Planning for the 2021-2022 school year has begun. Program Planning is the process by which students, parents, teachers, and guidance counselors collaborate to create each student's class schedule for the subsequent school year. The Central Bucks Program of Studies, which explains the program planning process and describes all courses, can be found on the CBSD website and below.
Program Planning Timeline
- January 4--Program of Studies booklet for Grades 9-12 available online. Click here to view.
- January 5--Program planning presentation for current 9th Graders (during school day)
- January 7--Central Bucks South Curriculum Fair website (for current 9th Graders) opens
- January 15--Program of Studies booklet for Grades 7 & 8 available online at https://www.cbsd.org/domain/387
- January 8 to March 17--Current 9th Grade students enter course requests at home via Parent Portal
- January 27--Program planning presentation for current 7th Graders
- January 28--Program planning presentation for current 8th Graders
- February 7--Course verifications for current 7th Graders viewable in Portal
- by February 11--Course verifications for current 7th Graders electronically confirmed by parents in Portal
- February 23--Course verifications for current 8th Graders viewable in Portal
- by March 2--Course verifications for current 8th Graders electronically confirmed by parents in Portal
- March 19--Course verifications for current 9th Graders viewable in Portal
- by March 25--Course verifications for current 9th Graders electronically confirmed by parents in Portal.
Here is the link to Tamanend's Program Planning page.
CALENDAR ITEMS TO NOTE
Tamanend UNICEF Unite Club Food Fundraiser Week--continues on Tuesday, February 9 (at Panera); details below
Early Dismissal--Friday, February 12 (students are dismissed at 10:45)
President's Day (School Holiday)--Monday, February 14
Middle School Parents Orientation (for parents of current 6th Graders)--virtual presentation posted on Tuesday, February 16 by 7:00 PM; follow-up Teams call (details below)
Parent Council--Thursday, February 18 (virtual, on Teams) Click here to join the meeting.
- Congratulations to the 8th Grade Girls Basketball team for earning first place in the regular season and their runner-up finish in the district postseason tournament.
- Attendance at basketball games is currently available for one (1) parent/player and cheerleader for home games only, and a ticket must be shown prior to entry. Attendance at any event is subject to appropriate behavior and adherence to CBSD athletic and districtwide health and safety plans. Anyone who refuses to adhere to guidelines will be asked to leave campus.
- Boys Basketball tryouts begin today, Friday, Feb. 5th. Details have been sent to those registered on Family ID. Please reach out to Mr. Klein with any questions.
- Family ID opened for Spring sports registration on February 1st. Tryouts/practices are scheduled to begin on March 22nd. Please visit Tamanend’s Athletics page for information/details on registering for sports.
- REMINDER: Please keep in mind that students must go home at the end of the school day. It is the responsibility of the student-athlete and parent/guardian to coordinate transportation back to school on days of practices/games, as well as for away games.
FROM CB SOUTH:
- Family ID is now open for spring sports registration and will close on February 25th.
- CB South girls lacrosse will be having open workouts every Monday and Wednesday on the grass soccer fields from 3:00 to 5:00 and Saturdays from 12:00 to 2:00 in the stadium starting January 25. You must be registered on Family ID to participate.
- No contests
- Boys Basketball tryouts continue
- No contests
- Boys Basketball Tryouts continue
- Wrestling @ Holicong (Away; 3:15)
- No contests
- No contests
UPCOMING TAMANEND EVENTS
Reminder--UNICEF Unite Club Hosts Food Fundraiser Week: February 1, 3, & 9
The Tamanend UNICEF Unite Club is hosting their first ever food fundraiser week! On February 1st from 4-8 pm Chipotle will donate 30% when you use the code J4A499K online and then pick up in store. On February 3rd 10:30am-9 pm MOD will donate 20% when you use the code GR174339T online or mention our fundraiser when ordering in person. On February 9th from 4-8 pm Panera will donate 20% when you use the code “PRFUND” or show the flyer below in person. The money raised will go to UNICEF’s COVID relief efforts and to our own club. This will fund future projects so we can advocate for children around the globe and serve our community. Hope to see you there!”
Celebrating Black History Month--Featured Work: "Still I Rise" by Maya Angelou
Thank You for Supporting Our Recent Cradles to Crayons Drive
Community Service Opportunity
Do you have some free time after school? Do you like being artsy? The Community Service Club has a service project for you!
Cradles to Crayons distributes backpacks full of school supplies every September. They aim to include a hand-made card with encouraging words about the upcoming school year to help the receiving child feel optimistic and excited about learning.
Making cards is easy and fun! Here are the details:
- You can use plain white printer paper, construction paper or cardstock.
- Fold the paper in half and write inspiring messages on the front AND inside the card.
- Use crayons, markers or colored pencils for writing and drawing pictures.
- Make your cards colorful and add fun accents like stickers.
- Cards should not specify age or gender.
- Do not include any reference to family, religion or holiday figures.
- All writing on Ready for Learning cards should be school, education, and learning-specific.
- Please, no glitter!
Tamanend will be doing a collection until the end of February. If you'd like to drop off your cards at school, Mrs. Mancini (room 233) will be happy to collect them! If you are 100% virtual, the front office can put them in Mrs. Mancini's mailbox.
More information can be found at bit.ly/RFL-cards.
Reminder--Let Our Yearbook Capture Your Experience!
The goal of the Tamanend yearbook is to capture a year in the lives of our students. This year, a good portion of student life is taking place at home and we want to see it! What does your online learning set up look like? What do you do during the snack break? We want you to send us your best pictures from online learning! You can upload these pictures by following the steps below:
- Please visit the website https://images.jostens.com/upload.jsp
- When asked to type a User ID, please type 415873954
- Click on “Choose File” and upload your picture
- Under “Contact Information” you will enter your student’s e-mail address, your student’s first name, and your student’s last name
- Under “Image Information” you will enter your student’s first name, your student’s last name, and you will choose their grade.
- Finally, click Upload Chosen Image
All photos are due by Friday, February 26th. Thank you!
Reminder--Join the Wellness/Snack Break Social 10:35--10:55 Daily
Hello! Are you looking for a way to connect with other kids from school while you are learning from home in the virtual setting? Mrs. Cammann is hosting a Wellness/Snack Break Social time each day from 10:35-10:55 during the virtual and hybrid learning models. Students are invited to join in to share some conversation and be connected with students across all grades. On Wednesdays, we will have games and trivia during this time! You are welcome to participate daily or pop in occasionally - no pressure. Maybe you will even get to know some new faces! Just click the link below to take part, socialize, and participate, while using our Tamanend ROAR to respect and include each other in this group. Enjoy your snack and unwind with us at 10:35 any day. Hope to see you there! Click here to join the meeting
Reminder--Order Your Tamanend Yearbook
Don’t forget to order your child’s 2020-2021 Tamanend Yearbook! The price of the yearbook is $40. The last day to order a yearbook is April 30. Please click the link here to take you to Jostens online ordering page. No preorders will be accepted in school – all orders must be done through Jostens. If you have any questions, please email Kristen Gerth at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reminder--Tamanend Parent Book Club
Are you interested in global issues and news? Do you want to get involved in helping people in your community and around the globe? Join the Tamanend UNICEF Unite Club. This club was started this year and the purpose of this club is serve as a space to discuss global issues, engage students, help students use their voice to enforce positive change, make better thinkers and communicators, and much more. Students will have the opportunity to learn about child protection, education, water, sanitation and hygiene which may align with certain areas of study, allowing for a more insightful, understanding life outside of the classroom. The club will also provide students with an opportunity to gain leadership positions on campus. Through fundraising, awareness, and community service, we will be able to help the millions of children who need our help. Please fill out this interest form https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=j0gLqp78hUGl4zhCIN8jyiSa13bnl15Kgt4n4oFy81FURjJUTThYNlM2M0xTN0pWNFU5MzNWUE9OQy4u if you are interested in the club. Meetings will be once every two weeks virtually A date for our first meeting will be sent out to those interested soon! If you have any questions feel free to contact Kalidindi.H055@student.cbsd.org , EORINSKI@cbsd.org , or AHIGGINS@cbsd.org.
Reminder--Mock Trial Team for 9th Graders
Do you want to improve your speaking and analysis skills? Do you like exploring legal issues of everyday events? Or, just want to spend some time hanging out with Mr. Sterner and Mr. Heisey? We are pleased to offer the Mock Trial Club at Tamamend for any interested 9th graders. It’s a great way to learn about the legal profession and debate your way through an actual case as either a lawyer or a witness, as well as build your skills for future participation and competition at CB South. Please e-mail Mr. Heisey (email@example.com) or Mr. Sterner (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are interested. Thank you!
Reminder--Tamanend Today Club
While we can’t currently run Tamanend Today, our live weekly TV show, we are still seeking interested students who enjoy broadcast media and video production. We have some ideas for production until we can go live again, and we would like your ideas for when we can go live. Until then, join us and be a part of producing meaningful, pre-recorded broadcasts and features. If media production is your thing, please reach out via e-mail to Mr. Sterner (email@example.com) or Mr. Landis (firstname.lastname@example.org) to be part of our Tamanend Today Club! Thank you!
QUOTES AROUND TAMANEND
HELPFUL REMINDERS ABOUT TAMANEND PROCEDURES
Teachers will be taking attendance every class period during hybrid learning. If your child is unable to participate in hybrid learning during all or part of the day due to illness or medical appointment, please report your child's absence in any of the following ways:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone (Attendance hotline): 267-893-2920
Please note for Hybrid students: If your child is participating online from home due to illness on a day he or she is scheduled to be in the building, please contact Attendance. Your child will receive Attendance credit for participating online that day if he/she is logging on to Teams calls and participating in classes.
FROM OUR GUIDANCE OFFICE
9th grade students have until this Sunday, February 7th to input their 10th grade courses into the Student Portal.
8th grade students selected their electives this week during social studies classes. Teachers will soon be making academic recommendations, and verification sheets will be posted to the student and parent portals on Feb. 23rd.
7th grade students’ verification sheets will be posted to the student and parent portals today, Feb. 5th. Please see the email from Dr. Caughie that explains the electronic approval process that must be done by Thursday, Feb. 11th.
This Edition of Guidance Sparks--Becoming Aware of the Many Options Available to You
One of the first steps to selecting a career is to become aware of the many options available. In Central Bucks schools, our students begin that process through the Career Readiness related curriculum in elementary buildings (QUEST, Economics Project in Social Studies) and secondary buildings (Success Plan, Information Technology classes).
Here are two videos which might inspire that search for just the right career. Watch them with your children and listen to what they say about what they see in their future.
For younger students: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9TLZBZ3eo8&feature=youtu.be
For older students: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP89iBasyCE
For comments or questions, please contact Ginny Barrett at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FROM OUR LIBRARY
Reminder--Tamanend Library is Here for All Your Reading Needs!
All students have full access to all books in the Tamanend Library and to SORA, our digital collection. If you would like to check out a book, please watch the following videos in your Library Canvas Course to see how to access both physical and digital books. Books will be delivered to classrooms for Hybrid students and Online students can pick their books up in the front lobby of Tamanend!
FROM OUR INNOVATION AND TECHNOLOGY DEPARTMENT
Reminder--9th-12th Grade Student Technology Toolkit
FROM OUR HEALTH OFFICE
Reminder--Required Dental Exams for 7th Graders
Reminder--Please Contact Our Nurse For COVID-Related Issues and Concerns
Please notify our Certified School Nurse, Lauren Myrtetus, if you, someone in your household or your student have been diagnosed with COVID or if your student has been identified as a close contact of someone who has been diagnosed with COVID. Also, please notify Mrs. Myrtetus if your student is ill and is being tested for COVID.
If your students needs to quarantine, he or she should report directly to the nurse’s office on his or her first day back to school for a temperature and symptom screening.
Mrs. Myrtetus is happy to answer any questions related to COVID.
Reminder--Revised Guidelines Regarding Quarantine & Travelling Outside of Pennsylvania
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recently revised their recommendations around the length of time that an individual should quarantine after exposure to a positive COVID-19 case. The district integrated these changes into our Health and Safety Plan. These changes will dictate the time that students are unable to attend school in-person and participate in school-sponsored activities and athletics following exposure and/or travel outside of Pennsylvania.
- Students must remain at home for 10 days—7 days with evidence of a negative COVID-19 test—from the date of last close personal contact with a positive individual. The COVID-19 test must have been administered at least 5 days after the exposure.
- The commonwealth has revised their travel restrictions to reflect the CDC’s new guidance. Pennsylvanians who are returning home after travel are required to either quarantine for 10 days without testing, or to quarantine for 7 days with a negative test on or after day 5 of quarantine. Please note, out of an abundance of caution, our health and safety plan protocols require all students and employees to refrain from in-person instruction and school-sponsored athletics and activities during the commonwealth’s travel quarantine period regardless of age.
Please find a revised flow chart that contains this new guidance for your reference below. If we continue to stay home when we are sick, wear face coverings consistently and appropriately, wash hands regularly, and stay six feet away from others as much as possible, we will all do our part to help one another stay heathy.
Reminder--What to Do If Your Child Is Sick
FROM OUR CAFETERIA
Reminder--Breakfast and Lunch is Available to ALL Students Free of Charge Through the Remainder of the 2020-2021 School Year
Reminder--Free & Reduced Lunch/Breakfast Application
RESOURCES AND ASSISTANCE
Help with Resources
If you are experiencing a financial hardship, please know that the staff members listed below can help you and your family. We can provide assistance with food, clothing, field trips, student fees, internet access, and other issues. Please don't hesitate to contact us:
Brian Caughie, Principal email@example.com
Kyle Dudley, Assistant Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Lauren Myrtetus, Certified School Nurse email@example.com
Jeff Klein, Guidance Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Mandy Cammann, Guidance Counselor email@example.com
Reminder--Coats for Our Kids
Reminder--Grandfamilies Support Group
GETTING INVOLVED AND STAYING CONNECTED WITH TAMANEND
TMS Parent Council
Thursday, Feb. 18th, 9am
This is an online event.
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (scrolling on TV screens during school day and posted on our website)
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: firstname.lastname@example.org
Oficina: (267) 893-2900