"PEEK at PEAK"
FIFTH GRADE PEAK -January 14
PEAK OPEN HOUSE
Thursday, January 30th: 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM
You are invited to our Winter PEAK Open House. This is a come and go style Open House. We are excited to showcase both topic study and science work!
- All students need to write 2 paragraphs for their feature magazine article. It is saved in their drop box. Be sure to work from the folder side of the drop box and then it will automatically save at their computer at school.
January Work Sessions
I have tried to vary days and times of the optional work sessions. Please RSVP so I know who to expect. I will definitely need to know if you are attending the Saturday session because I will give out my cell number so you can call to get into the building.
- Thursday, January 9 - 8:00 AM
- Monday, January 13 - 7:45 AM
- Friday, January 17 - 7:45 AM
- Saturday, January 18 (Yes SATURDAY) - 9:30 AM - Noon
- Wednesday, January 22 - (Yes an evening time!) 3:45 PM - 6:30 PM
- Thursday, January 23 - 8:00 AM
- Monday, January 27 - 7:45 AM
- Wednesday, January 29 - 7:45 AM
- Topic Study: We have a lot going on in Topic Study! Students are finishing projects, answering their essential question, and preparing notes for display. We have really focused on depth of learning through our note taking and projects. It is important to note that the projects are 100% student completed. My focus this year has been on process not product. We have emphasized depth of learning. Additionally, It is important for the students to learn what a finished project "looks" like without modifications from adults. This is a huge step in the learning process. I am so proud of the students' effort and unique interpretation to their independent research project.
- Math: We continue to work through algebra lessons and rules. Everyone is begging for more time in math - a great problem to have!
- Science: Today students brainstormed what type of solar collector they want to make for our solar collector contest. Groups and individuals made their solar collectors for the contest. At the conclusion of the contest, we will award certificates for a variety of achievements.
- Today we worked on writing our feature magazine article rough drafts.
- We introduced the museum portion of this unit. We brainstormed museums we have visited and what we liked about the museums. We also discussed the types of exhibits we have seen. The purpose is for students to learn more about museums so they can create a virtual museum on their brain topic. Students will also create one additional project to represent our depth and breadth of knowledge.
New Apps are where it's at ---
We have learned the following new Technology Applications:
- Evernote ---for Theme Study
- Symbaloo - "PEAK PAD"
- Drop Box
- S'more poster
- Google Docs
- Create a Graph
- Live Binders --- for Topic Study
- Edmodo (review)