CSA Lincoln Newsletter
Friday, November 9th
Principal's Notes and Highlights
There were lots of hats and smiles when students came to school this morning. One smile shined a little brighter than the rest and rightfully so. CSA Central students also wore hats to show support for Emmie. I heard the hastag #hatsonforEmmie being discussed on the radio this morning. The support shown today happened because one student wanted to make a difference for her friend. I'm always impressed with the empathy our students show others. Our future is in good hands.
I know the family would echo my appreciation for the support shown today. I've included information about what Emmie is going through and how our school family plans to support her and her family. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have questions.
From Tracy (mom):
- In December of 2016, Emmie was diagnosed with a Wilms Tumor, which is a type of kidney cancer. At that time, Emmie had 1/2 of her left kidney removed. Last year Emmie’s cancer returned in her spleen. She had surgery to remove her spleen and then went through 6 months of chemo therapy. A few weeks a ago, we found out that the cancer has again returned. Emmie had 7 tumors removed from her abdomen and liver and has now began an intense chemo therapy regimen that will continue until August. Every 3 weeks Emmie will do inpatient chemo that lasts 3-5 days. She will also go through radiation in January.
How is the school supporting Emmie?
- On days that Emmie has treatment and cannot attend school, the Husky Heralds will be sharing a special message for Emmie via our student announcements. This way she can watch it via YouTube and stay connected. I also talked with students this morning about treating Emmie just like any of us. She deserves to have a normal school experience just like everyone else. The idea of a Hat Day came from a student, Emily Vogel. I'll continue to lean on her classmates to help guide me in finding ways to show support for Emmie. She needs positive attitudes and word of encouragement more than anything else at this time.
How can you help?
- Emmie's family travels to Riley Children's Hospital in Indianapolis on a consistent basis. After talking with Tracy and Stephanie Seaborne (PTO President), the PTO will be collecting gas cards and gift cards to Chick-fil-A and McDonald's. These are two of Emmie's favorite places to stop for a treat on the way home from the hospital. The PTO will be collecting these all next week (November 12-16th). You can send them in with your student and the PTO will be delivering these to the family. Please do not send in checks written to CSA Lincoln Elementary or the CSA Lincoln PTO.
- Tracy also shared that Emmie would love to have friends visit after school. You can contact Tracy via text message at (812) 603-0060. It is very important that all visitors are healthy.
Have a great weekend,
LEGO Robotics Competition and Basketball-Saturday
The LEGO Robotics Team will be competing this Saturday in the Regional. It is a long day for the students and coaches, but a great day. The event is held at the Foundation For Youth. Go team! The team name is Astronanas. They weren't ready to drop the banana from last year's team name.
The basketball teams will be back in action tomorrow morning at Central Middle School. The first game will start at 9:00 a.m. as we take on the Southside Mustangs.
Veterans Day Convocation
- Our Veterans Day Convocation will be held Monday, November 12th at 8:00 a.m. As has been done in the past, we invite our student's family members who served/serve in the military to join us. Coffee and donuts will be available. We would like to recognize our honored guests at the convocation.
- I've included a form that we are asking you to fill out if they plan to attend. Here is the program for the event.
- Guests for the event can enter through the Main Office (Door #1) or downstairs (Door#3). Visitor name tags will be distributed for this event. Special guests will not need to bring an ID.
- Please let me know if you have any questions.
Science Fair! Are you coming?
- CSA K-12 Science Fair will take place on Tuesday, December 4th from 6:30-7:30 p.m. at Central Middle School! You can find all the details here.
- Let us know if you are coming! Please complete the short survey below. This will help with our planning. Thank you!
PEP Night - Tech
Please join us for our FIRST EVER PEP Night! What's PEP? PEP is Parent Education Programs designed by parents for parents to provide quick 20 minute presentations of useful information that we think you may find value in. We have so many great resources within our Husky Family so we're tapping into that to offer you these learning opportunities. Check out the flyer here and join us for this special event on 11/15 at Central Middle School!
The November PTO meeting will be held directly after the PEP event in the same room at Central Middle School. Hope you can make it!
PTO Meeting - 11/15/18
PEP Night: Tech - 11/15/18
Family Movie Night: Home Alone - 11/30/18 McDonald's Fundraiser - 11/30/18
Substitute School Nurses Needed
If you are interested in working as a substitute school nurse, please apply on the BCSC website. An active nursing license in the state of Indiana is required. More information is listed in the job posting online.
CSA Lincoln on Instagram/Facebook/Twitter
Facebook: CSA Lincoln Community
Click here for directions on how to receive text message updates from Mr. Findley