AIESEC India Talent Management
YUGA: People Stronger than ever
Well into Quarter Two...
You are now well into Quarter 2 of your term. It's been 2 weeks since ANC, what have you done? You have already had 3 months to get perspective and learn from mistakes so my question is how would you assess yourself as a VPTM?
Let's look at a basic checklist below:
- My LCP and I are on the same page about where we want to take talent capacity
- My LCP gives me the power/responsibility to hold other EBs and MBs responsible for taking care of their talent
- My EBs look forward to the inferences I tell them as an output of audits
- On a weekly/monthly basis I give a talent review within EBMs
- On a weekly/monthly basis I give a talent review within MBMs
- I have an operational and talent plan with my VP oGIP
- I have an operational and talent plan with my VP iGIP
- I have an operational and talent plan with my VP oGCDP
- I have an operational and talent plan with my VP iGCDP
- I have a local LEAD program
- I am always clear what is the retention, productivity, NPS and team minimums fulfilment of my membership
- I can tell any of my VPs the 3 top membership issues within their program.
- All EP managers, iGCDP OC members and Account Managers know what is LEAD and can deliver LEAD for their EPs and interns.
- I have an EP LEAD program
- I can describe the culture of my Local Committee in 3- 5 words.
- I have a Life-Long Connection program in my Local Committee.
- I have an member education cycle/ module that is based on operations
- I know the top 5 team minimum issues in my Local Committee and have a LEAD plan for that.
- Most if not all of people who exit (resign/ fire/ leave) my LC receive an exit interview
- I read/watch articles/books/videos about Human Resources, Talent Management, Management, Leadership so that I can add value to my VPTM role.
Out of these 20 points, how many can you score?
I need to be clear, being a good VPTM is not about filling audits, showcasing yourself, having good innovations. It's simply about: knowing operationally where your Local Committee wants to go and having and executing a people plan for it.
If you've been busy in the past few weeks but you're still scoring under 15 in the list above - then maybe you need to re-prioritise. I'm always available for a chat christinakelman.youcanbook.me
Each of these webinars will be the next step after ANC, so please ensure you have caught up on the content done within ANC commission and are prepared to move to the next stage :D
iGCDP: Wednesday 22nd April 8:00pm Link here
oGIP: Thursday 23rd April 8:00pm Link here
For oGCDP and iGIP we are launching specific projects with certain VP's from the commission - if you are interested.
A quick exercise for you and your EB
What you need:
- Red, green and yellow highlighter
- The above image printed
- Your EB
In your next EBM take the print out rate/highlight each box Green, Yellow or Red.
Check out the grid now:
- Which areas are you excelling in and why?
- Which areas are you red in and why?
- What does this grid tell you about what you should be focusing on for the next quarter?
- If one of your members/team leaders did the same exercise would their results be the same? (test it out!)
Lesson Number One: Ask the right questions
Before you proceed to creating your agenda, the most important question that you need to ask is 1. why am I having this conference/LCM (insert whatever channel)? You need to prioritise this answer into 2-3 points. Understand that calling a Local Conference, an LCM, a team meeting is a use of resources - your time, their time, money, investment etc.
the second question you need to ask is:
2. Can I achieve the same objectives (the points you created above) in a simpler way?
let me give you an example:
1. Why am I having this April National Conference?
- Give EBs the ability to 'figure out' what needs to be done in their Local Committees from now until June to achieve their targets.
- Allow EBs to be a stronger leader for their team and their EBs. They can lead and get shit down in a Bottom Up Culture.
2. Can I Achieve the same objectives in a simpler way?
- I could have some webinars - however attendance and ambience affects the quality of the message and delivery.
- LDM and SONA are messages that require specific ambience
- We need to conduct LEAD will will require physical presence
Answer: no we cannot.
Therefore: ANC goes ahead.
let me give you another example:
1. Why am I having this team meeting today?
- To check my team member's priorities and ensure that they are performing
- To give some of the team feedback on how they can adjust their work to do better
2. Can I achieve the same objectives in a simpler way?
- Yes, I can use an online tracker
- I can have individual meetings for the feedback to ensure it is more effective
Answer: We can
Therefore: Therefore rather than our usual 3 hour weekly meeting, we will fill an online tracker and have a 10 minute check in on the weekend.
Let me tell you what I've been seeing: Local Conferences for very less people happening more often. Team leaders calling for excessive meetings, team meetings going on for longer than 40 minutes. Be clear on your objectives of meetings - don't intentionally waste people's time due to you not answering these two questions.
Now, if you see that the conference, meeting is relevant go forth.
Lesson Number Two: Be clear about your boundaries.
- Block out lunch and tea breaks
- Where are your time constraints
- Are there certain traditions that need to be upheld that require time slots? eg. a personal check in for meetings?
Lesson Number Three: Convert objectives into ideas and blocks
My objective was for EB's to 'figure out' what needed to be done in their LCs. This converted into an idea of giving delegates a short 30 minute keynote on the idea then moving them into workshops to practice that idea, then into commissions where they can apply it to their JD and then into EB time to see how implementation can go forth.
This idea produced 4 main blocks for the conference and suggested timings and flow.
Lesson Number Four: What will they be feeling?
For every session, it's not always about the knowledge objective but how is this going to make the delegate feel. How will this block fit into the rest of the day/ meeting.
eg. I have a SOLA at the start of the day, my delegates are going to feel sad but also challenged after. They might also feel sleepy. Therefore, let me make sure there is a short tea break for discussions within members about SOLA and then let me put them into commissions to talk about how to wrap up SOLA and how to proceed. Then I will ensure that the content of my evening plenary has a message/ story about people in the same position as my LC and how they 'broke through' that challenge and achieved.
I will also make sure that it links to the conference theme and that the evening plenary also starts off with a lot of fun to ensure they are not still sleepy.
Lesson Number Five: How is this conference strategic for your Local Committee?
What are the strategic focuses of your local committee and how are they being achieved/ utilised within this meeting/conference. Remember more than anything a team meeting/ conference is a channel for you to achieve a certain message/ objective.
eg. My LC's focus this year is extreme customer experience
Therefore my LCM/ Conference will always be at such a high standard to show the standard of what is customer experience, it will be on time, it will have fantastic ambience, there are no logistics problems, there will always be consultancy of the delegates on how to improve etc.
Also my content in the conference will cover/ educate/ training my delegates of specific aspects of customer experience that I find relevant.
I hope this helped! Check out the ANC back-agenda for support you can always call me.
Looking for VPs interested in piloting this software. Check it out, sign up for a trial if you want. If you are interested please contact me.
Please note there are financial costs involved.
How have you followed up from ANC about the ELD LEAD frameworks?
We all saw this in SONA, what still needs to me followed up? What's my current retention - how can I make my current memberships stay for 1 year at least.
Please note there are financial costs involved.