Burleson Elementary News
December 10, 2020
A NOTE FROM MRS. COFFMAN
We will send out a link through Class Dojo and add to the SMORE when it is ready :)
K-4 Flakes Musical
- Practice letter and sound recognition. Letter for this week is Oo.
- Focus on number recognition up to number 16.
- Library book is due back on Tuesday.
- Please write number of words read on reading log in purple folder.
- Bring water bottle every day.
Thank you to the parents that sent snacks. Please look at the red note in purple folder.
Have a safe and blessed weekend.
Mrs. A 😊
1. We will be doing a lot of fun holiday activities and crafting next week!
2. Continue practicing ALL sight words over the break. New and old. It is very important for becoming strong and fluent readers.
3. Please be reading and having your child read at night. Their exposure to books is important.
4. Bring library books and a water bottle (with a good lid) every day.
5. A lot of students are complaining of chapped lips with the colder weather... you may pack chap stick in their backpack for them!
6. Please reach out on Dojo if you need anything or have any questions!
Christmas Party note will be going home today in your child's purple folder. Please bring a wrapped holiday book for the gift exchange.
Thank you for all you do :)
- We are testing over ALL 75 sight words in the bag this week. Please practice every night.
- Continue to practice math facts, with a focus on +6 for a test on Friday.
- Our spelling test will be on Tuesday, so study over the weekend.
- Please read every night with your child. The Book It reading log is due by the 17th to earn a coupon.
- Bring library books and a water bottle every day.
The Christmas party will be on Thursday, December 17th at 1:15. Look for a note in the purple folder.
If you need anything, please contact me on Dojo. Thanks!
* We will spend time reviewing addition facts for several weeks before moving on to subtraction facts in January.
* Study the spelling words, sentences, and phonics rules for a test each Friday.
* Bring your library book to school every day. READ, READ, READ!
* Remember to bring a water bottle each day(water only).
*A note about our Christmas party went home yesterday. There is also more information on our Class Story on ClassDojo. If you would like to bring something, please look over this list of things that are already taken care of and let me know what you would like to bring.
*For our gift exchange, the second graders will be exchanging Christmas mugs that will be used for the hot chocolate during the party. Please have one to school for your child to exchange no later than Wednesday, December 16th.
Thank you for all that you do!
- In reading this next week we will be doing activities with the book: The Polar Express
- Social Studies: we will be looking at cultures and how they celebrate light. On Thursday we will be taking a Virtual Field Trip through the Texas Tech Cultural Center to learn about these other cultures.
- Writing: We will be finishing up our book to be published! I am missing some permission notes so be checking your Dojo messages for updates!
- Please watch for a note about our Christmas parties that will be happening next week.
- Also make sure your child is reading every night and recording it on their Home Reading Log so they can earn a Book It coupon for the month of December.
- We are finishing up our lessons on fractions with finding the sum of unit fractions
- Math fact test are on Friday's Next week's math fact test will be on Thursday.
- Math fact homework is due on Fridays!!!
- In science we are starting to learn how soils is composed of decomposed plants and animal remains, and rocks that have been broken down over time.
- Next week in math we will be learning financial literacy. We will be learning about how supply affects the cost of goods, having to pay interest when borrowing money, and how education and experience can affect how much you get paid for your job.
Our Christmas party will be on Thursday, December 17th at 2:30. Due to Covid restrictions, parents will not be allowed to attend this year. Instead of sending treats, we are asking for all 4th grade students to bring $2 so that we can purchase all the goodies needed.
We will have stockings for the students to fill and are asking for students to bring “stocking stuffers,” enough for 19 students. Even though it will be unlike past Christmas parties we are planning, with your help, to give the students a fun time.
Mrs. Bell & Mrs. McCormick
- Last week we began digging deep into vocabulary using a resource called Vocabu-Lit. Students will take a vocabulary test on Friday based on the new words introduced this week.
- Our spelling words this week are Homophones – test on Friday!
- In Social Studies we are wrapping up learning about How Texas came to be, focusing on Stephen Austin and Sam Houston.
- As always… Read, read, read – Reading is a homework assignment! All students are required to read for at least 20 minutes every evening. Please make sure you are initialing your child’s Reading Log every evening after they have read.
Please remember to send your child with a clean mask and refillable water bottle every day.
Please message me on Dojo with any questions or concerns.
- In Math were are recording and organizing data. We are using frequency tables, dot plots, and stem and leaf plots.
- We have started a unit about properties of soil in Science. Color, texture, and ability to retain water are some of the properties we are learning.
- We have completed our middle of year map testing. It was an improvement over the beginning of the year. Good job 4th grade!
- Study multiplication facts every night. Students MUST know their basic multiplication facts or Math is going to be REALLY difficult for them. Everything we do is related to the basic facts.
- Your child has a note about our class Christmas party in their purple folder today.
- Bring a water bottle and clean mask EVERYDAY!
- Thanks for all you do at home to help your child be successful!
- Please watch for a note about Christmas parties coming home!
- Spelling Test this Friday
- Please make sure students are bringing clean masks and water!!!!!
- Keep reading nightly
-Please keep working on Multiplication Math Facts. Have your child practice every night for 5 to 10 minutes, it makes it easier to simplify and find equivalent fractions.
-Math Fact Quiz on Friday.
-Please keep an eye out for Christmas notes regarding parties.
THANK YOU PTO!!
Pizza, Salad and dessert were amazing.
Thank you for all you do for our school!!
UGLY SWEATER DAY AT BURLESON ELEMENTARY!
WEDNESDAY SNACK SHACK
Prices will range from $2.00 - $4.00