Make & Do for the iPad Crew
Science Edition: Killeen ISD
Session Essential Questions
1. How can educators use technology to make student thinking "visible"?
2. How can educators encourage high levels of cognitive response and scientific reasoning in classroom activities and projects?
3. What is the role of classroom culture in developing students who become responsible for their own thinking and learning?
1- Using the lesson material that you brought with you, find 3 supporting pieces of new knowledge and create a "collection" within Gooru.
2- Find 3 artifacts related to chemical reactions. Bonus points for artifacts related to the video we watched.
Great For: basic editing, cropping, labeling, highlighting, blurring (think kid's faces or personal info, license plate).
Activity: Choose 1 of the following
1) Inherited Traits vs. Learned Behaviors
Find a photo of your favorite exotic animal and create a Skitch with your picture. Label characteristics you believe are inherited traits and list learned behaviors you exhibit. Be prepared to present to your partner and group.
2) Chemical vs. Physical Reactions
Find a photo of either a chemical or physical reaction and label which type of reaction you chose. Label the image to demonstrate how a change is taking place. Be prepared to share out.
Activity: After joining Greg's class, Choose 1 of the following
1) Using the lesson you brought with you, create a 1-minute instructional video and comment on at least one other video in the class.
2) Create a video that explains the difference between chemical & physical reactions, giving at least 1 concrete example of each. Comment on 1 other video in the class.
- Have students create a picture in Skitch, use Thinglink to elaborate on their ideas.
- Steps/instructions for an experiment/lab
- Explain the steps of the scientific method
- Have students elaborate on their work processes (see this math-related example)
- Teacher-created Thinglink with prompts and springboards to spur student thought
Feedback and Discussion
Go to student.infuselearning.com and use Room ID: 69494
- What did you see today that you liked?
- What wouldn't work in your classroom? Why?
- What other options are available to you?
- Share out what you can take from today and use in your classroom (be sure to reference your learning goals!)