CB West High School
West Times Newsletter 1-4-2021
NEWS FROM THE GUIDANCE DEPARTMENT
All Sophomores and Juniors will be starting the Program Planning Process this month. Students will receive instructions from their counselors about how to make their course requests for the 2021-22 school year. The student portal will be open from Friday, January 8th through Sunday, February 7th. During the months of January and February, counselors will make themselves available to meet with students where necessary, and to answer students’ questions (either virtually or in-person). Please visit the Program Planning webpage for timelines, instructions, and resources – including the Program of Studies, which contains all course descriptions and prerequisite information. Watch for emails from your student’s counselors regarding grade-specific info-sessions and/or virtual meetings about Program Planning!
- Watch your Financial Aid deadlines! Check each college’s Financial Aid page for specific requirements and deadlines for that school. See our Financial Aid page for a link to the FAFSA application and more info.
- Students who plan to apply to Bucks County Community College may wait until spring to apply. Please visit BCCC’s Admissions website to learn about the process, which may include placement tests for some students.
Please check Naviance regularly for information about national, regional, and local scholarships. (Once logged into Naviance, click Colleges > Scholarships and Money > Scholarship List.) The list can be sorted by deadline, or you can search for specific criteria which matches your intended major. This list will be updated frequently, with new scholarships added regularly. Please also go to the Scholarship page of the Guidance Website for information about how to use scholarship search services to find more opportunities.
The Central Bucks West Tutoring Academy will continue to provide Peer Tutoring on a virtual platform. There are several tutors available for academic help in many core classes. If your student would benefit from a peer tutor, please have them contact their school counselor or Mrs. Bagnick at email@example.com. We will assign tutors based on availability at the time.
Final Exam Schedule
For the last several weeks we have been actively discussing our approach to final exams. While student learning will always be the focus of our work, we would be remiss if we did not recognize the unique and trying circumstances that this school year has presented, and adapt. The administration has worked with Curriculum Supervisors and teachers to reframe our approach to final exams. We recognize that the hybrid and virtual models have presented unique challenges during the pandemic. Teachers know best what students have learned and what they may be ready to demonstrate mastery of in a cumulative manner. The schedule for final exams is below:
Final exams will be administered during the instructional block within the typical schedule. Depending on the exam date, students may be taking the exam in person as a Hybrid 1 or Hybrid 2 student or virtually if a 100% online student.
- Wednesday, January 20th: English finals due
- Thursday, January 21st: Social Studies finals due
- Friday, January 22nd: World Languages writing final
- Monday, January 25th:
- Monday, January 25th: World Languages speaking and AP Computer Science finals
- Tuesday, January 26th: Specials and AP Psychology and AP Comparative Government finals
- Wednesday, January 27th: Math and Science finals
- Thursday, January 28th: Conflicts/Make-Ups
- Friday, January 29th: Review of exams (Early Dismissal)
We hope that news brings a sense of relief during these challenging times. All students will have an opportunity to demonstrate mastery of learning in his/her course, and do so in a manner consistent with how they have experienced assessment throughout the semester.
CB West will be administering Keystone Exams in December and January. Please Click Here for important and comprehensive Keystone information. Any questions, please contact Mr. Rubenstein, House Principal and School Assessment Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
Winter 2, Biology and Algebra, January
- All testing will take place online, with the student using their 1:1 computer, at CB West High School
- Specific information about room number, proctor, etc. is posted on the Keystone website - you must login to view this list
- All students will need to bring their laptops fully charged on the days that they test
- MBIT students will go to CB West for a full day on the days they test
Biology Keystone Exam
- Virtual Only Students: January 6, 2021 (need to provide your own transportation); Synchronous instruction for everyone else at home.
- Hybrid 1 and 2 Students: January 8, 2021 (district transportation provided); Asynchronous instruction for everyone else at home.
- Make-Up Days: January 11, 14, 2021
Algebra Keystone Exam
- Hybrid 1 and 2 Students: January 12, 2021 (district transportation provided); Asynchronous instruction for everyone else at home.
- Virtual Only Students: January 13, 2021 (need to provide your own transportation); Synchronous instruction for everyone else at home.
- Make-Up Days: January 14, 15, 2021
Book/Item Distribution and Return
We will have a pick-up/drop off for 100% virtual students only on the dates listed below from 2:00pm-4:00pm in the CB West Cafeteria. Students who are participating 100% online will retrieve needed materials as communicated by teachers. Students can also return books or other curricular items by placing it in a labeled bin. Please park in the Junior lot off of MacFarlane Lane and enter the cafeteria. Please wear a mask and keep 6 feet social distancing at all times. Only 1 person per family may come into the building. Please bring a bag or bookbag to carry your items.
Process: Please find your placard, take the items under the placard, and leave the placard on the table at your spot.
Important: Please leave all name labels on any and all items given to you. This will be essential when you return items.
Larger Items: Teachers will communicate with you if you have larger items to pick up. Large items will be labeled with your name and will be in the back of the cafeteria in the large-item section.
Forthcoming Dates: The following are the Thursday dates for pick up and drop off of items mapped out through the remainder of the year (just in case and subject to change).
CB West Parent Council
We look forward to continuing our partnership with parents through the 2020-2021 Central Bucks West Parent Council. Membership to the council is open to all interested CB West parents.
Meetings will be held virtually for the time being. Meetings begin at 9:00 AM and conclude at 10:30 AM.
Please note: If you are accessing the Teams link on an iPhone or Mac, you will need to download the Teams app first. The web version will not work for Safari. Learn more about Teams
January 20, 2021
February 24, 2021
March 24, 2021
April 21, 2021
The State of Pa. requires that all Juniors have a physical on file in the Health Office. As your student goes to the doctor for driver’s permits, working papers, etc., remember to turn in a copy of the physical. Physicals dated the first day of Sophomore year or later will be excepted as a Junior physical. If your child plays sports, this physical will count as well.
Photo IDs and Picture Packets
All IDs and photo packets have been handed out to hybrid students, including those that did not have their pictures taken (last year's photo was used). 'Online only' students will need to come to school during one of the item pick-up/drop-off days or make arrangements with the receptionist for an alternate pick up date. 267-893-2500
Questions about a photo packet or ID?
- Call C & C Studios: 215-345-1851
- Email C & C Studios: email@example.com
Antler Yearbook Information
Don't forget to reserve your child an Antler yearbook for this school year. Due to COVID, we will only be accepting online orders, at www.jostens.com . Don't delay - last year we completely sold out of yearbooks - be sure to reserve your child's high school memories today! Yearbook page on West website
GOOD NEWS ABOUT CB WEST STUDENTS
Please enjoy this Virtual Ensemble piece, Caprice! This performance features members of the CBW Concert Wind Ensemble and over 50 video and audio tracks! The students performed magnificently well, as you will hear in this video. Congratulations to the students and Mr. Delson.
Caprice (Himes), performed by the CBW Virtual Winds
Video Link: CB West Virtual Winds: Caprice (Himes)
Congratulations to JP Tomlinson, Jeffrey Fountain and Dru Sanchez on being chosen to participate in the PA Music Educators Association Festivals.