We Are Family - March 7, 2021
Saturday's Signature Event was a great success! It was great to see so many familiar faces from the school and parish communities again! We appreciate the community's support of our parish and school educational programs.
A special thank you goes out to the event chairs and committee. An event of this magnitude is not possible without a group of dedicated individuals working together. Special thanks to Lora Bowman, Kristin and Chris Roman, Maria Morgan, Alli Shinkle, Rita and Patrick Mitchell, Jo Towns, Elaine Dotson, Becky Wildeman, Connie Roland, Ericka Hernandez, Brent Wright, Kandi Carson, Cody Brown, Vicki Branchini, and Gaytanna McGuire along with the parish and school staff members who contributed to the effort! We appreciate your efforts and talents.
If you purchased a certificate from the auction, it will be sent home via backpack mail this week. Any baskets that were purchased but not yet picked up will be available for pick up at the school starting on Wednesday afternoon.
Janet Abdoulaye, Principal
3rd Grade - IREAD in the lab
- 3rd Grade - IREAD in the lab
All-School Rosary in the classrooms at 2:20 PM for Lent
2:50 PM Release
Mass at 8:45 AM hosted by 1W. Livestream available on our YouTube Channel.
Way of the Cross immediately following mass led by Middle School
- Spiritwear tops with uniform pants or spirit wear bottoms
Save the Dates
- March 25th: 1:20 PM Dismissal for Spring Break (EDM available)
- March 28th - April 1st: Spring Break
- April 9th: Parish Easter Egg Hunt 9 - 10:15 AM
- April 14th: Holy Thursday prayer service hosted by 5th grade at 9 AM
- April 15th: Good Friday Living Stations hosted by middle school at 10 AM with 1:20 PM dismissal (EDM available)
- April 18th: No school - Easter Monday
- April 23rd: Sparty Party Trivia Night
IREAD and ILEARN Testing
IREAD is administered to third graders in Indiana to assess their reading skills. The test is made up of three sections and is administered via the computer over two or three school days. Our third graders will participate in this assessment on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings this week.
ILEARN is administered yearly to students in third through eighth grades. Every grade level is assessed in English Language Arts and mathematics. Fourth and sixth grades participate in a science assessment and fifth graders take a social studies assessment. Students will test several days for each subject area and testing is spread over a three week period. It is critically important that students are present each day. Please avoid scheduling appointments in the mornings during the test window.
ILEARN Testing Schedule
- Testing sessions will be held daily from 8:45 AM to 10:00 AM.
- April 19 - 21: Mathematics (3rd - 8th grades)
- April 25 - 29: English Language Arts (3rd - 8th grades)
- May 2 - 6: Science and Social Studies (4th - 6th grades)
Chess at Saint Susanna
A Note from Our CYO Chess Coach, Mrs. Bolin
I am actively looking for a Chess Coach to train and take over this Chess Club/Team in the future for me as my son Dane is aging out of CYO in 2 years and I want to make sure Chess lives on at St. Susanna!! I expressed this to my Chess families last year and no one was interested in completely taking it over for me as the Chess Coach, although I do have some volunteers who help at practices.
Here are the responsibilities of the Chess Club & Team Coach/Coordinator:
- Communicate with Chess Club/Team families.
- Schedule practices and reserve room space with Jackie Arnett. I've typically scheduled practices 4:00-5:15 pm on Saturdays for convenience before Saturday Mass. Practices have been once a month through Spring and Summer for 60-75 minutes. Weekly practices during the competitive season September-first week of November.
- Lead the Chess Team in CYO competitions on 5 Wednesdays October-Nov from 4:30-6:30 pm in different school gyms. One all-day tournament on the second Saturday of November in the CYO Center.
- Coordinate a Taco Bar for the All-day tournament on the second Saturday of November. Sign-up Genius has already been set up.
- Coordinate and staff a week-long Summer Chess Clinic that is led by Aaron Dean ( Learning Through Games ) each summer at the chess coach's convenience.
- Order Chess Club/Team t-shirts
- Recruit new Chess Club/Team players
- Become the keeper of St. Susanna's chess pieces and chess mats that are taken to each practice, every competition, and available for the Summer Chess Clinic.
- The Chess Coach does not have to be a Chess Master but does need to know how to play in order to teach new players how to move the pieces. Although I often refer parents and new players to ChessKid.com | Online Chess For Kids - 100% Safe and Free to learn how to play prior to their first practice so they can come to the first practice and start playing right away.
I am hopeful that a parent or teacher steps up to help lead this Chess Club/Team. It's such a great group!! If you know anyone who may be interested they may contact me!
Celebrate Lent at Saint Susanna
- Login to your FACTS account.
- Click on "View Details" next to the heading Payment Plan and Billing.
- Click on "View Payment Summary" and ensure that you have the year 2021 in the drop down menu.
- Print this sheet. This will show totals paid per child and category and has our Federal Tax ID number on it.
The service hour tracking form can be found here and a copy will be sent home in the back-to-school packets. We ask that each family complete five service hours this school year. These hours can be completed during school or parish events.
Students may be referred to Ms. Evans by teachers or the principal for a one-time visit. After that, parents must complete an consent form for continued visits. The consent form is available at the end of the Monday Memo or in the school office. You can reach Ms. Evans directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
Easy Fund-Raising for Saint Susanna Catholic School!
Box Tops for Education
Here’s how it works:
- Step 1: Download the new Box Tops App (iTunes or Google Play) – it’s free
- Step 2: Create a username and connect it to your child’s school
- Step 3: Scan your grocery store receipt. Items with the new Box Tops label will be automatically credited to your school
Does this mean I should stop sending in my paper Box Tops that I have already clipped? No! Continue to send those to the school!
Kroger Community Rewards
Information on the Kroger Community Rewards program can be found here on their website or under the "rewards" tab in your Kroger app. You will need to search for the exact name of our organization as SAINT SUSANNAS SCHOOL PTP . From there, you can link your Kroger card with our organization and a portion of your spending at Kroger will come to us.
St. Susanna Catholic School's mission is to provide a Christ-centered, quality education that prepares and inspires its students to excel as they progress in their scholastic careers. Based on Catholic teachings, our students and staff exemplify the value of faith, service, love, and respect in all situations and with all people.