In 753 B.C men was given the right by law to physically discipline his wife since the man was responsible for all of her actions. Later on during the Middle ages (900-1300) where women was servants and maids men would beat them to make sure they did there job correct. All given permission by law.
What is domestic violence and how do you know when they are occurring within a home ?
Domestic violence is a violent or aggressive behavior within the home, typically involving abuse of the spouse or partner or Domestic abuse that includes physical violence. There are many ways you can tell if domestic violence occurs within a home:
- people who may seem afraid or anxious to please their partner
- Go along with everything there spouse says or does
- Check in often with there spouse
- Receive frequent, harassing phone calls from their partner
- Talk about their partners temper, jealousy, or possessiveness
Getting Out Of An Abusive relationship
Getting out of an abusive relationship is not easy if you have been with your spouse for a long period of time. But if you or someone you know is in an abusive relationship just remind them/yourself that:
- You are not to blame for being battered or mistreated
- You are not the cause of your partner's abusive behavior
- You deserve to be treated with respect
- You and your children serve a safe and happy life
- You are not alone
Why do victims tend to stay ?
It is difficult for someone to understand a victim would want to stay but there are many reasons why they do.
- There are emotional reasons such as belief that the abusive partner will change, threats from the abuser etc.
- Situational reasons such as economic dependence on the abuser, fear of harm for there children, lack of occupational skills , no where else to stay or live
What can friends and family do to help, and where can they receive help ?
Friends and family can help by being non-judgmental, encourage them , love them, and any chance they have try to take them out to eat or just ride around. The more they get away from them the more can be away from the abuser the more they would want to get away . There are national hotlines for domestic violence victims to call and receive help. There are also shelters for domestic violence victims and there children where they can go and live and receive help until they get back on there feet.