School Closure Week of 6/8
Dear Students & Families,
Last week was a difficult one for me. I spent a lot of time worrying about how our students were dealing with the civil unrest and social issues that have resurfaced. Especially given how much they were played out on social media. I hope families were able to have discussions about current events and help students process. Hockinson High will always work to be a safe place for all students. If a student is struggling with all this, please reach out to their Counselor or I.
Monday, June 8th, 8am to Friday, June 19th, 4pm
16819 Northeast 159th Street
Brush Prairie, WA
With the Stay at Home Order lifted, we are reopening our office to help facilitate end of the year processes. We will have someone there from 8am to 4pm, but they will have a lunch break mid day. Feel free to call or come by.
We are still providing free pick up lunch and breakfast service from 10:00 am to noon, Monday through Friday, for all children (ages 0-18) until during the COVID closure. Pick up is in the bus turnaround.
Plan for Incompletes
We will rely on teacher input to choose one of the following options. However, when we get back to school, we will work to get student input as well. It will all be coordinated by our Administrative Intern Dawn Lloyd. This program won't begin until we are back in the building on a consistent basis.
Option #1 - Students who had an F on the Term 4 grade and didn’t engage in at home learning to an extent that they were able to bring their grade up, will be put into credit recovery or be given the opportunity to retake the class. We will treat these students much like we would have if they failed in previous semesters.
Option #2 - Students who were passing on the Term 4 grade but didn’t engage in at home learning to an extent to keep their passing grade will make up the work under the supervision of a teacher.
Students who received a single Incomplete grade, will be assigned to that teacher’s Focus class for the 2020/2021 school year. This will provide them with a chance to work with the teacher to complete enough work to earn a letter grade (the one they had at Term 4).
Students who received multiple Incomplete grades will be assigned to an “Incomplete Focus”. This will be hosted by volunteer teachers and supported by Administration and Counselors. Students will stay in that Focus until they have earned their letter grade in each class they received an Incomplete.
In order for Option #2 to work, we will need to know which standards the student didn’t show knowledge on. Therefore, teachers will be required to fill out a form to provide that information and assignments for the student to complete in order to meet those standards.
- Option #3 - This could be used for any student regardless of their Term 4 grade. If the student has a subsequent class in the same subject area, we can backfill the grade with what is earned in the next level class. For example, a 9th grade student receives an incomplete in English. We can backfill the grade based on how they score in 10th grade English. We will refer to this as “higher course completion.” This option is only available for courses taken 2nd semester of the 2019/2020 school year. Departments will create maps to show where this option is possible. It may not be possible in all content areas.
At Home Learning Tips
We only have two weeks left. Students should be focusing on big assignments they have either missed or teachers have assigned as finals. If you have questions, be sure to communicate with your teacher.
Fees and Fines
To continue the mission of doing all we can to make it safe and convenient for families we have removed all convenience fees for food service payments ($1 per transaction) and fees/fines Touchbase (2.75%) until 6/30/2020. The merchant fees expenditures HSD pays will be funded with savings from the closure.
To make a payment online:
* Log on to the Hockinson School District website
* Click on Payments (in the white menu bar)
* Click on Fees and Fines
* Log in using your Skyward Family Access login information
* Click on Pay Fines/Fees
End of year item drop off and pick up (repeat information)
The following is important information regarding the final drop off and pick up of the year.
- 10:00 – 2:00 Seniors
- ALL fees, fines and materials must be returned before we will give out Diplomas.
- Pick up permission/liability release slips for Senior Party
- 9:00 – 11:00 Juniors
- 11:00 – 1:00 Sophomores
- 1:00 – 3:00 Freshmen
During these times you will be:
- Cleaning out your locker
- Dropping off your iPad and any checked out books
- Paying any fines
- Picking up your yearbook and diploma (seniors - fines must be paid before getting your diploma).If picking up a yearbook for a friend, we will need verbal confirmation from them. Only family members are allowed to pick up a diploma if the student is not able to.
- Dropping off any band items (instrument, sheet music, uniform, etc.) to the band room
Please keep in mind that we will still be adhering to the social distancing guidelines, so this will not be a time for gathering large groups. We encourage students and parents to wear masks if possible.
We are extending our Wednesday (10-12) drop off/pick ups through June 10 for anything other than the above. Seniors - we still have a number of yard signs to be picked up, so please stop by if you don't have one yet!
Seniors and Graduation
Virtual Graduation will be released Thursday, June 11th at 7pm. We will be sharing a YouTube link with the full ceremony in the following ways:
- We will email out the link to all senior students and parents
- We will post the link on our website & Schoology
- We will share the link on all our social media pages
If you want to plan ahead, we will use our HHS Video Productions YouTube page (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaGLW6-xIckZoOea7h9q4qA). You can go subscribe now. You will need a decent internet connection to watch it. It runs a little over an hour long.
I know it may feel a little cheesy, but we'd love seniors to watch the ceremony wearing their caps and gowns. I encourage families to try and make it a big event to celebrate their graduates. Please share pictures with #Hockinson2020.
We have begun releasing some of our award winners via videos on social media and Schoology. Be sure to log in to see all the great things are kids have accomplished!
Seniors parents organized a Celebration Cruise for Friday June 12th. For more information go to their Facebook page 2020 HHS Senior Celebration Cruise
All fees and fines must be paid before we will give students diplomas.
We are still tentatively planning an in-person graduation on August 7th at 7pm. This will be contingent on the restrictions of large gatherings being lifted. We are looking at holding Graduation outdoors to help minimize risk to everyone.
Our Senior Parent Grad Night Party is planning on hosting an event after the August 7th ceremony. Be sure to pick up permission slip paperwork when you pick up/drop off stuff on the 15th.