May/June 2022 Volume 3 Issue 8
April was a fantastic month for our AEMS students! We are so proud of their participation and success; here are the things we accomplished:
- Band- Our amazing band performed the National Anthem at the 66ers baseball game on Thursday, April 21st.
- Phoebe Tan was celebrated in RUSD's Celebrating Student Excellence awards as our AEMS Portrait of a Graduate on Friday, April 22nd.
- No Place for Hate (c) hosted the first ever AEMS Social Justice Poetry Slam Tuesday, April 26th. Over thirty students participated and our MPR was a full house! It was a great evening that you won't want to miss next year! AMES has met all the criteria to earn its second designation (in a row) as a No Place for Hate(c) school.
- Seven AEMS artists participated in the Chalk the Walk Day in downtown Riverside on Friday, April 29th.
- Track & Field athletes ran, jumped, and threw their way to over 60 medals with 19 first place medals and 11 second place medals at the return of the RUSD Track Meet at North High School, Saturday, April 30th.
May-August 8, 2022
- MAY 2-6: Teacher Appreciation Week; Math SBAC Testing
- May 9-May 20: SBAC Testing Make-ups
- May 3: PTSA Meeting (4:00 pm) virtual; Guitar Show (6:00 pm/MPR)
- May 4: 8th Grade Promotion Pictures through PE classes (Students should dress nicely for these photos.); AVID Field Trip to Cal State San Bernardino
- May 5: Chats with Chann (3:00 pm) link posted on school webpage; Spring Choir Concert (6:00 pm/MPR)
- May 6: 8th Grade Vision and Hearing Testing all day
- May 7: Saturday Flight School (8:00 am-12:00 pm)
- May 10: Band Spring Concert (6:00 pm/MPR)
- May 11: AVID Field Trip to Knotts Berry Farm (12:30 pm-7:30 pm)
- May 12: Spirit Squad End of Year Show (5:30 pm/Gym)
- May 14: Saturday Flight School (8:00 am-12:00 pm)
- May 17: 8th Grade Awards Night (5:30 pm student arrival/6:00 pm award ceremony/Gym)
- May 18: 8th Grade Field Trip to Castle Park (7:30 am- 2:30 pm)
- May 19: MINIMUM DAY-Final Exam Schedule (periods 1,3, 5)- One lunch served for all students from 11:30-12:05, students who don't wish to eat lunch may be picked up at 11:30 am; YEARBOOK DISTRIBUTION DAY!
- May 20: MINIMUM DAY- Final Exam Schedule (periods 2, 4, 6)- One lunch served for all students from 11:30-12:05, students who don't wish to eat lunch may be picked up at 11:30 am
- May 20: 8th Grade End of Middle School Dance (6:00- 8:30 pm/quad)
- May 23: HALF DAY SCHEDULE (periods 1-6, release at 12:05); Promotion Practice @ AEMS
- May 24: HALF DAY SCHEDULE (periods 1-6, release at 12:05); 7th Grade LAST DAY
- May 25: PROMOTION @ Martin Luther King High School (7:30 am student arrival to the gym/ 8:30 am ceremony on the field)
- May 30: Memorial Day
- May 31: 1st Day of AEMS Summer Program (9:00 am- 2:00 pm)
- June 24: Last Day of AEMS Summer Program
- August 5: 1st Day of School 7th Grade Only
- August 8: 1st Day of School for all students!
8th Grade End of Year Events
- Wednesday, May 25, 2022 @ 8:30 AM (STUDENT ARRIVAL IS 7:30 AM.)
- Martin Luther King High School, 9301 Wood Road, Riverside 92508
- Please contact Mrs. Scott at 951-697-5700 extension 53101 if you require handicap parking or ASL interpretation. Please do this as soon as possible.
- DO NOT BRING ANY OF THE FOLLOWING TO THE PROMOTION CEREMONY: balloons, noisemakers, air horns, large umbrellas, beachballs, signs or coolers (No outside food or drink, other than water, is permitted inside of the stadium.)
AEMS Summer Program
This year AEMS is hosting an In Person Summer Program for our current 7th grade students and our rising 6th grade students. (These students will be 7th and 8th graders in fall 22/23 school year.) Instruction will be in English Language Arts, math, and enrichment/explore.
- Summer Program runs Monday through Friday, June 1-24 from 9:00 am -2:00 pm. Lunch is provided.
- We will have opportunity for student support in English Language Arts, math, and an art or AVID enrichment session each day.
- Current 7th grade students interested in Accelerated Math 1 and Honors ELA 8 for the 22/23 school year are encouraged to sign up especially if they did not take Accelerated Math 7 or Honors ELA 7 this year. Letters will be going home to specifically invite those who selected those courses without prior Accelerated or Honors level classes this year, to attend. Taking this summer program will bridge the learning from a non-accelerated/honors 7th grade course to the more rigorous class for 8th grade.
- Please contact Mrs. Orsbun (email@example.com) or Mr. Gull (firstname.lastname@example.org) to enroll ASAP- spots are limited & this program will grant priority to enrollment in the 8th grade classes for those who did not take Accelerated Math 7 or Honors ELA 7 this year.
AEMS Cell Phone/Electronics Policy
We want to let you know this policy will not change as we move into the 2022/2023 school year (and beyond). This is a permanent policy. Consequences for having a cell phone or earbuds out on campus may include a verbal warning, 15 minute detention, and/or parent phone call home. Students who ask for permission to contact parents are NEVER denied, and they go to a private location in the office to make their contacts. Parents, you will assist your child's ability to follow this policy by not contacting they via phone during the school day. If you have an emergency and need to reach them before 1:55 pm, you may contact, or come to, the office and we will gladly help.
Academic Assistance at AEMS
Remaining dates for Flight School are: 5/7/22, & 5/14/22
AEMS Tutoring Opportunities
Does your student need help with their assignments or organization? Did you know that we offer three opportunities for tutoring to your child beyond what their classroom teacher might offer? Below are the AEMS Tutoring Opportunities:
- AVID After School Tutoring- This is not just for AVID students! Our AEMS AVID Program hosts tutoring sessions for ALL STUDENTS on these days. Times and location above.
- PrimeTime- Academic Hours are built into every PrimeTime afternoon. Tutors are available to help your child in every subject and/or help get your student organized. Email Ms. Salveson at email@example.com for more information.
- Paper- Free, online service available to RUSD students in grades 7-12. Tutoring is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Students access Paper using their Clever portal.
2022/2023 School Year Start Time
- Daily start time for school will be 8:00 AM.
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday school will end at 2:25 PM.
- Wednesday end time will be 12:35 PM.
If you need to sign your student up for PrimeTime for the 2022/2023 school year, please got to http://bit.ly/PTinterest and complete the interest form.