VCR Lesson 7 Presentation
Joseph Scott Jegier
Fill in the blank:
She received the Nobel Prize in Science for her ______________ contributions to the field.
- Praiseworthy; deserving reward or esteem.
meritum - to deserve
meritoruis - 15th Century Latin - meant deserving of divine grace, after which English added the "o" to the end.
Choose the incorrect usage.
- Mother commended daughter, for she had made meritorious grades at school.
- He was so humble that he did not accept his award, even though his actions were meritorious.
- Her dancing is meritorious; the whole crowd views at her tacky dancing as strange.
- Even though she was meritorious, she did not receive the scholarship because of biased interviewers.
- I deserve and A for my meritorious presentation.