Mrs. McCown's Class News
The School Scoop
What are we learning....
Reading: Readers Develop Expertise in Science & Social Studies
- Identify, understand, and use diagrams and photographs in non-fiction texts
- Know and apply grade level phonics to decode words
- Determine the meaning of words and phrases in non-fiction texts using surrounding sentences, photographs, illustrations, & other text features.
- Compare and contrast most important points of 2 texts on the same topic.
- Ask and answer questions to demonstrate understanding of key details in a text.
- Recognize and use text features in a non-fiction text
- Non-Fiction Writing
- Partner research and writing
- Safe Internet Researching & Researching from a Text
-Writing a Non-Fiction Piece using Research
- Edit and revise writing pieces with peer and/or teacher support
Math: Place Value
- Place value and understanding the 3-digits or a 3-digit number
- Understanding 100’s, 10’s, and 1’s
- Representing numbers in multiple ways (Standard Form, Number Word, Expanded Form, Quick Draw)
- Reading and writing numbers in multiple ways
- Decomposing numbers
- Skip counting by 5’s, 10’s, & 100’s
- Number lines
- Comparing 3-digit numbers using symbols: > greater than, < less than, & = equal to
Social Studies: History and Culture
- Explore people, events, and artifacts from the past
- Read and create timelines about famous Americans
- Understand how timelines are useful when learning about history
- Explore and understand primary and secondary sources
- Understand various cultures influence on communities
- Compare information from more than one source
- Vibrations cause sound
- Pitch (High & Low)
- Volume (Loud & Quiet)
Dates to Remember
Wednesday, September 30 - First quarter Reading Celebration for students who met their first quarter AR goal.
October 12-16 Spirit Week
October 12th Mustache Monday (wear a mustache)
October 13th Twisted Tuesday (Mix-Match Day)
October 14th Wacky Wednesday (wild and wacky hair)
October 15th Team Pride Thursday (Sports Day)
October 16th Freaky Friday (costume day)
Friday, October 16 - Awards Rally (I will send home more info if your child is receiving an award.)
Friday, October 16 - Early Release - Lunch will be from 11:50-12:20. Car riders will be dismissed at 1:10, buses will begin loading at 1:15, and after school care will be dismissed at 1:30.
October 19-23 Book Fair
Tuesday, October 20 - Fall Celebration (I will be sending further info as this date gets closer.)
Thursday, October 22 - Wednesday, November 11 - TRACK OUT!
Students will return to school on Thursday, November 12th.
Just a quick trip to Eqypt in technology!
Hanging out in the garden!
The kids enjoyed helping Mrs. Brown pull weeds from the garden to get it ready for fall.
Being silly on PJ day!