Murphy Middle School eNews
November 12, 2015
Murphy Middle School Events - November
Orchestra Skate Night - Thursday, November 19 from 6:00-8:00 at Thunderbird Skate
Texas Legends Family Fun Night - A Fundraiser for the Plano ISD Education Foundation and the MMS PTA! - Saturday, November 21st at 7:00. See details in PTA section!
THANKSGIVING BREAK - NO SCHOOL - Monday, November 23 - Friday, November 27
Athletic Events - October/November
Admission cost for athletic events is $2 for students and $4 for adults. Please help out our ticket takers by bringing small bills.
7th Grade Girls Basketball (6:00 & 6:45 unless otherwise noted)
Thursday, 11/19 vs. Hendrick at Hendrick
7th Grade Boys Basketball (6:00 & 6:45 unless otherwise noted)
Thursday, 11/19 vs. Hendrick at MMS
8th Grade Girls Basketball (6:00 & 6:45 unless otherwise noted)
Monday, 11/16 vs. Hendrick at Hendrick
8th Grade Boys Basketball (6:00 & 6:45 unless otherwise noted)
Monday, 11/16 vs. Hendrick at MMS
Academy Programs of Plano - Information & Meeting Dates Attached To eNews Email
Parents will also have opportunities to learn about each academy during several informational meetings. If your child is interested in one (or more) of the programs, please consider attending one of these meetings. (See schedule below)
An information page about each academy - as well as the schedule below - is attached to the eNews email.
So Many Ways To Be Involved - MMS Clubs (Updated List)
out some simple forms.
Here are the clubs that are formed so far - along with the name and email information of the teacher serving as custodian. Meeting times/dates are set by the teacher, so please direct your questions to him/her.
Book Club with Ms. Pearson in the Library (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Star Wars Club with Mr. Murtaugh in B129 (email@example.com)
Environmental Club with Ms. Pilgrim in E113 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Soccer Club with Mr. Murtaugh in B129 (email@example.com)
Baseball Club with Mr. Lagattuta in E112 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Joy Club with Ms. Perry in J105 (email@example.com)
Reading Rain Club with Ms. Byrd in E101 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Mavs Steep Steppers with Ms. Holt in H102 (email@example.com)
Basketball Club with Mr. Henson in D101 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Check out the latest Basketball Club News at www.Tinyurl.com/murphybballclub
Tennis Club with Ms. Hachtel in E111 (email@example.com)
French Club with Ms. Nee in K104 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Singing & Dancing Club with Mr. Lagattuta in E112 (email@example.com)
Chef's Club with Ms. Thompson in D112 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Poetry Club with Ms. Edenkrans in F103 (email@example.com)
Harry Potter Club with Mr. Lagattuta in E112 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Mattress Palooza - Benefitting the McMillen Band - See Flier Below & Attached to eNews For More Information
The Golden Roar Band of McMillen High School is hosting a Mattress Palooza event on Sunday, November 15 from 11:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. in the McMillen Band Hall. If you or someone you know plans to purchase a mattress in the next few months, please share this event with them. Top name brand mattresses are discounted, and your purchase benefits the band. Even out of town orders can be handled!
7th & 8th Grade Science & Engineering Fair - Refreshments for Judge's Corner Still Needed
Mark your calendar! December 3rd, 2015 is the Annual Murphy Middle School 7th and 8th grade Science Fair and Engineering Fair in the MMS Library from 8:30-1:30pm (judges only).
Should you like to enlist your shopping or cooking skills, the Judge’s Corner will be needing refreshments such as bottled water, coke, diet coke, sprite, cookies, fruit, breakfast muffins, coffee, coffee cups, etc.
Please email Mrs. Jones (email@example.com) if you are willing to donate items for the Judge’s Corner. Thank you!
Should you like to assist with judging, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your science background and your preferred area of judging. Thank you!
Attention kiddos in grades K‐2, 3‐6, 7‐10!
Keep Murphy Beautiful challenges you to create a mascot recycle poster to decorate a Progressive Waste Solutions recycle truck. Please be sure to see the rules and guidelines below and fill out an entry form on the reverse side to submit with your artwork.
WHO: Kids in grades K‐10 who live in or attend school in Murphy.
- Schools: Tibbals, Hunt, Boggess elementary, Murphy Middle School, & McMillen High School and homeschool or other private schools
WHAT: Create a recycle mascot with the theme ‐ “How can I Make a Difference with Murphy Recycling”
- The artwork should be on a piece of paper, card stock, or poster board, dimensions: 8.5” x 11” or 11” x 14”
- Designs must be horizontal.
- Designs must include the name of the mascot.
- Designs can be created with crayons, magic markers, paint, color pencils, ink, and/or digital.
- Each poster must have the artists name, age, grade, address, and phone number clearly printed on the entry form and attached to the back of the art work.
Entries without an entry form will not be eligible.
WHEN: Submissions must be turned into the to City Hall Customer Service by 5pm, Monday, November 30, 2015.
PRIZES: An award will be presented to all 1st place winners– one for each of the following categories: K‐2nd, 3rd‐6th, & 7th‐10th grades
- Each first place winner will have their artwork printed on a Progressive Recycle truck for one year.
Questions and Entries can be directed to City of Murphy, Customer Service Department, Candy McQuiston, 206 N Murphy Road, Murphy, TX 75094, telephone 974‐468‐4045 email: email@example.com
Spring PACE testing referral packets are now available in the front office or through the website, http://pisd.edu/parents/advanced.academics/gifted.pace/.
All referral packets are due by January 13th to Mr. Matisoff in N101. PACE testing at MMS will occur on February 29th for all students. Students should currently be in or plan on taking at least one honor’s class before deciding to test. If you have any questions, please contact Mr. Matisoff, Murphy’s PACE Specialist.
News From Megan Schuler RN, BSN - Plano ISD Director for District Health
In preparation for a healthy 2015-2016 school year, the Plano ISD health services team would like to provide the following helpful and important information. Our team’s purpose is to support a safe and healthy school environment. School nurses need your assistance as we work together toward this common goal. You can help us by encouraging behaviors we teach at school and by following a few guidelines for keeping your children home when they are not feeling well.
Please review the information:
· Immunizations must be up to date according to the Department of State Health Services (DSHS) guidelines for school entry and attendance: http://www.pisd.edu/parents/health/immunizations.shtml.
· All medications and medical procedures at school must have completed paper work. Please see our website at: http://www.pisd.edu/parents/health/index.shtml or contact your school nurse.
· All controlled substances must be brought in by the parent or guardian.
· Please keep your children home for:
o Fever of 100° or more for the duration of the fever plus an additional 24 hours after cessation without fever-reducing medication
o Vomiting or diarrhea for 24 hours after cessation
o Generalized rash
o Oozing wounds that cannot be kept dry and covered
o Red, draining eye
o Untreated live lice
o See the completed list for exclusions: http://www.pisd.edu/parents/health/diseases.shtml
· Please remind your children of cough and sneeze etiquette:
o Cough or sneeze into a tissue or sleeve and not into hands
o Always wash hands for 20 seconds
· Please observe the proper hand washing technique: vigorous friction rub for 20 seconds with soap and rinse with water.
· State screening mandates are performed for vision, hearing (Kg, 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th and all new students), Acanthosis Nigricans (1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th and all new students) and Scoliosis (5th and 8th).
· Growth and development class is taught for girls during 4th grade and boys and girls during 5th grade. A note will be sent home from your school detailing the date and materials to be presented. See your school nurse for details.
· Benadryl and epinephrine are kept in the clinic, to be used by only the school nurse, for undiagnosed episodes of anaphylaxis. Having this medication available for unexpected, severe life-threatening anaphylaxis does not take the place of individual prescribed auto-injectors for diagnosed cases of severe allergy.
· Current health information is crucial for proper care. Please notify your school nurse of all health related issues. This can be done via the Parent Portal: https://parentviewer.pisd.edu or by visiting your school nurse.
· SB 265 (84th Legislative session), allows a student to possess and use a topical sunscreen product during school and related events to avoid overexposure to the sun. The product must be approved by the Federal Food and Drug Administration for over-the-counter use. For a full explanation: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/Text.aspx?LegSess=84R&Bill=SB265
Please do not hesitate to contact your school nurse or district health services for assistance. I also encourage you to visit our website at http://www.pisd.edu/parents/health/index.shtml.
We look forward to working together with you in the 2015-2016 school year. On behalf of our nurses, assistants and the entire team, we hope you have a safe and healthy year!
Megan Schuler RN, BSN
Plano ISD Director for District Health
Diversity Leadership Award
The Diversity Leadership Award Nomination Form and further details about this award are attached to the eNews email.
Thank you Highland Capital for your generous donation to MMS PTA!
Mary Fuentes and Vanessa DeVary are the November Volunteers of the Month!
You have gone above and beyond for MMS. Your hard work and planning are appreicated. Thank you so much for all of your do!!
Murphy MIddle School PTA Community Partners 2015-2016
Please remember our generous sponsors when shopping for services or supplies!!
For more Murphy information, please visit the Murphy web page:
For Murphy PTA news: http://www.mmspta.org
To unsubscribe from Murphy eNews or change your email address, please go to: http://elist.pisd.edu/
If you are getting eNews because you use Parent Portal, please go to: https://parentviewer.pisd.edu/ to revise your subscription.