Oak Ridge Connection
March 27, 2015
Message from the Principal
Thank you for a great week. I enjoyed seeing many of you at Open House. It is a great time of year to see the progress the students have made. They enjoy preparing their projects for you and get excited to show you their classroom The third marking period ended today. We are in the final marking period of the year. It is time to finish the year strong. Encourage your children to give their best effort every day. Have a great weekend.
Dr. Jason Parrott
Learning In Action
Mrs. Gaskill's First Grade Class
Mrs. Gaskill's first grade class listening to a mystery reader.
Mrs. L's Class in P.E.
Mrs. L's class playing follow the leader in P.E.
Mrs. Bodle's Second Grade Class
Mrs. Bodle's second grade class working on reading responses.
Mrs. Kosnik's Third Grade Class
Mrs. Kosnik's third grade class working on Reader's Workshop.
Fourth graders put on their Wax Museum presentations. They dressed as American pioneers and told the story of their life.
Ms. Fischer's Class in Spanish
Ms. Fischer's class working on their Spanish cities.
From the desk of the PTA...
The Oak Ridge PTA is excited to share the new, easier to access weekly newsletter! The newsletter will now be live on the PTA website at www.ptaoakridge.com (see the Newsletter top tab) and can be read quickly on your mobile phone, tablet or computer, and we are currently providing a printable version too. Check the website whenever you need PTA or event info!
Access the newsletter directly at http://www.ptaoakridge.com/newsletter.html
Daddy Daughter Dance
The Daddy Daughter Dance is April 17th, from 7-9 pm Come "Dance Through the Decades" with us. For more information click here: http://bit.ly/1xihm9H.
Please click on the following link to learn more about PTA nominations: http://bit.ly/1biYRgV.
Found iPAD Mini
We found an iPad Mini at the skating event on Wednesday. The iPad is password protected so we do not know who it belongs to. If you lost an iPad Mini, please contact the office.
March 31st- Battle of the Books
April 3-10 Spring Recess
April 14 Bagel Sale
April 17- Daddy/Daughter Dance
April 22 - April 26- Jersey Mike's Subs fundraiser
April 23 - Safety Patrol to Tiger game
May 12 Bagel Sale
May 12 Dentist R US follow up visit
June 11 Last Day for students- full day
Professional Development Late Start Days
News and Notes
Dear 3-5 grade parents, please read the letter regarding the upcoming M-STEP testing.
In an effort to improve system practices, Royal Oak Schools is conducting a parent survey. We value your opinion and ask that you take the time to complete the survey. In order to complete the survey, please go to:
Please be assured that your responses to this survey will be anonymous. Your honest opinion is appreciated. Thank you for your time and attention to this matter. Please complete a survey for each one of the schools that your children attend before March 31, 2015. Thank you.
Open Carry Laws
Due to recent events, we have had many questions regarding open carry laws. Below are excerpts from an article on Mlive.com titled, "6 Facts about Michigan open carry laws and guns in school."
Facts about Michigan open carry law and guns in schools
- Open carry is legal in Michigan schools for individuals with valid concealed pistol licenses. It is illegal for an individual without a concealed pistol license to carry a firearm on school property.
- People with a CPL (concealed pistol license) cannot carry a concealed firearm on school property. Open carry is the only option available to them if they wish to carry a firearm.
- State law MCL28.4250, prohibits CPL holders from carrying concealed weapons in nine designated pistol-free zones, including schools. However, the law allows parents or legal guardians dropping off or picking up a child to keep a firearm inside their vehicle.
- State law MCL 750.237a makes it a 93 day misdemeanor to possess a weapon at schools, which are designated as weapon free zones. However, the law does not apply to security personnel hired by the district, peace officers, those with permission from the school's administration or people with a CPL.
- In December, 2012, Gov. Snyder vetoed legislation that would have allowed CPL holders who went through extended training to carry concealed firearms in schools.
- Competing bills introduced in 2013 sought to change the law regarding firearms in schools. Rep. Andy Schor, D-Lansing, who introduced HB 4104 in January, said his bill would create "true gun-free zones" that would prevent indivuduals from taking guns into schools, while State Sen. Mike Green , R-Mayville, introduced SB112 in January that would have allowed for the carrying of concealed weapons in schools provided the chief executive of the school or school board authorizes the presence of concealed weapons on school property. Both bills are stalled in committee.
OAK RIDGE SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION IS NOW AVAILABLE IN THE HIGH SCHOOL COUNSELING OFFICE FOR SENIORS WHO ATTENDED OAK RIDGE ELEMENTARY. THE APPLICATION IS DUE TO THE OAK RIDGE OFFICE NO LATER THAN MAY 1, 2015.
PRINCIPAL'S FUNDRAISER TO EXPAND THE BOOK COLLECTION IN THE MEDIA CENTER
The Oak Ridge Media Center is very interested in giving students an opportunity to check out some brand new hardcover books. To help us in this endeavor, we will be partnering with Jersey Mike's Subs in Madison Heights. The school fundraiser will begin on Wednesday, April 22nd and end on Sunday, April 26th. On Wednesday (April 22), every student, teacher, and staff member will receive (2) donation cards. You may redeem your donation cards (in person only) at the Madison Heights Jersey Mike's Subs during the 5 day fundraiser. YOU WILL RECEIVE A FREE SUB WITH A MINIMUM $2.00 DONATION. 100% OF ALL DONATIONS WILL BE GIVEN BACK TO OAK RIDGE ELEMENTARY!
Popovich Comedy Pet Theater coming to the Redford Theatre
On Saturday, May 9 at 3:00 p.m. the Popovich Comedy Pet Theater will be performing at the Redford Theatre. One of our parents, Olga Kourdioukova, is offering discounted tickets ($22.00 for adults, $10.00 for children). Feel free to call her at 248.217.4473.