Cooper Landing, Hope, and Moose Pass Schools
August 16, 2021
The KPBSD is conducting a survey to give KPBSD Stakeholders the opportunity to provide input for the planning and use of the ESSER III (Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief) Funds. The survey window will be open August 11 – August 17, 2021. Please click here to take the 3 question survey.
District News About Covid Mitigation Plan
Online News Release
KPBSD COVID-19 Mitigation Plan updated
Soldotna, August 12, 2021—The Kenai Peninsula Borough School District is looking forward to school beginning on August 17, 2021, and has some important updates to the layered mitigation plan designed to keep students and staff safe during the ongoing pandemic, and high community spread of the Delta variant.
A few highlights in the layered mitigation plan:
· Face Coverings: The KPBSD highly recommends all students and staff to wear a face-covering while indoors. All visitors and volunteers must wear a face covering when indoors during the academic school day.
· Symptom Free Schools: Families and staff can help keep schools healthy. A person should stay home if they have any symptoms of illness, and potentially test for COVID-19.
· Physical Distancing: Student cohorts, pods, and physical distancing of six feet will be encouraged while working and learning with others in school buildings.
· Bus Transportation: Face coverings are required for everyone who rides a bus to and from school or a co-curricular activity. (U.S. Department of Transportation mandate.)
To learn about additional layered safety measures including handwashing and good respiratory etiquette; cleaning and building ventilation; contact tracing; diagnostic and screening testing; vaccination opportunities; and sports and activities, please review the KPBSD mitigation plan.
Cooper Landing School Updates
We are so excited about school starting soon! We've missed the kids and we hope they've missed us.
The school day will begin at 9:00 and end at 3:15. Drop off and pick up will be at the front doors only.
Staff are busy preparing and getting the classrooms ready. Andy, our custodian has done a fantastic job cleaning and disinfecting everything from top to bottom.
The district highly recommends that all students and staff wear a face covering while indoors. Any visitors to the school must wear a face mask.
Please be sure you have completed the registration process for your student. Here is a link to the forms and instructions: https://www.kpbsd.k12.ak.us/students_parents.aspx?id=39221
District News About Remote Learning Option
Online News Release
KPBSD 100% Remote Learning Option
Soldotna, August 12, 2021—The Kenai Peninsula Borough School District will offer a districtwide 100% Remote Learning option during the 2021-2022 school year. The new learning option will provide remote education to support the learning needs of KPBSD students and their families who have concerns about attending their neighborhood school in person during the pandemic. The districtwide 100% Remote option begins August 17, 2021, and is open to students in grades 1-12.
Districtwide 100% Remote Learning is a teacher facilitated, parent supported program that is a blend of online curriculum and synchronous virtual connection with the learning community.
- Students in Grades 1-12 will enroll for school at their neighborhood school, but tell the school secretary that they are selecting the KPBSD 100% Remote Learning option
- Students will have an option to transfer back to their home school during certain dates based on grade level*
- When parents and guardians choose to enroll their children in remote learning, it is 100% remote. There is not an option to join neighborhood school classes simultaneously
- After enrolling, the 100% Remote school will contact families with a greeting and introduction to remote learning that is specific to the grade level enrollment of the student
- On Monday, August 16, 2021, a new 100% Remote Learning website will be live and provide additional information
Districtwide Remote Learning OptionS
Elementary: Grades 1-6
Elementary 100% Remote Learning is a teacher facilitated and parent supported effort that will utilize the curriculum of Edmentum.
- Edmentum will provide targeted instruction in core subjects
- KPBSD remote instruction teachers will augment the curriculum by monitoring progress and targeting needed student support
- Community building and project based learning from the teacher will support students in their learning journey
Note: this will be different from the way the 100% Remote Learning option was delivered from the neighborhood school during the 2020-2021 school year.
Middle School: Grades 7-8
Skyview Middle School will offer synchronous classes delivered from Skyview Middle School teachers. Students will enroll in their neighborhood school, and select the KPBSD 100% Remote Learning option.
- Educators will teach 100% Remote instruction for both the 7th and 8th grade sections of the core classes: math, science, English Language Arts, and social studies
- 100% Remote middle school students and families will follow the Skyview Middle School bell schedule
*Enrollment transfer dates between 100% Remote and the neighborhood school for elementary and middle school grades 1-6 are: August 10–27, 2021; October 18–22, 2021; January 3-7, 2022; and March 14-18, 2022
High School: Grades 9-12
KPBSD Distance Education and VTC classes will be utilized for 100% Remote learners.
- Students will enroll in their neighborhood school.
- The school will identify the student as remote and enroll the student in the appropriate KPBSD online classes.
*Enrollment transfer dates between 100% Remote and the neighborhood school for high school grades 9-12 are: August 10-27, 2021; and January 3-7, 2022
Moose Pass School Updates
We are so excited to start a new School Year at Moose Pass School!
We have many returning students and many new students!
We look forward to the first day of school on Tuesday, August 17!
The school day will begin at 8:45 and end at 3:15 (we have returned to pre-covid schedule)
There are a couple of changes starting this school year at Moose Pass School that we would like parents to be aware of:
1. Joining Ms. Barron (our head teacher), we have a new Instructional Aide; her name is Courtney Little. We will all miss Mrs. Thomas, but we are excited to welcome our newest staff member.
2. As of right now, we do not have a hot lunch program. We are looking to hire a food service manager, but until that happens, families will be responsible for making sure that students come to school with food for morning snack and lunch.
There is a lot of information from the district in this news letter. Please feel free to contact the school with any questions or concerns. The phone number is: 907-288-3183.
Hope School Updates
Welcome back to students tomorrow! We hope everyone has had a wonderful and relaxing summer. We are welcoming a new middle and high school teacher to our community this year. Tammy Highly, hailing from Shungnak, and originally from Missouri will be joining our team, replacing Ms. Earl.
A few notes regarding the beginning of the year:
1. If you have not yet registered your students, please do so today. https://www.kpbsd.k12.ak.us/students_parents.aspx?id=39221
2. Please remember to bring outdoor gear and non-marking gym shoes, and a change of clothes (if your student is k-5) to be stored in their locker. We go outside for recess every day, rain, shine or snow!
3. We do not have a secretary at this time. Phones and emails may not be answered in as timely a manner as you are used to, so please bear with us through this transition.
4. Masks are not required this year, but the district encourages everyone to wear one anyway.