Buckalew Buzz 20-21 School Year
January 25, 2021
Connect With Us!
"Today I choose to BE Kind, Work Hard, and Do My BEst!"
Our school hours are officially 8:00-3:10. Students may arrive as early as 7:30 and will go to their homeroom beginning at that time.
*disclaimer that items published in this newsletter may change due the COVID-19 pandemic*
From Mrs. Price
As we continue on the incredible journey our our 20-21 school year, we feel like our routines and systems in place are continuing to keep our students and staff safe. Just a friendly reminder that students who are not regularly wearing MASKS, or not wearing them properly during the day, are the ones potentially at risk for being quarantined if a positive close contact is identified in your child's classroom. With our positive cases in Montgomery County higher now than what we imagined in August, we have made a difficult decision to cancel our biggest event of the year, our Buckalew Bash. This is our biggest social and community event and also serves as our biggest spring fundraiser.
With the cancellation of our Buckalew Bash, our PTO and teachers are working to continue what we have already had in place to fundraise as well as trying to creatively design alternate opportunities. We are continuing to have our fun, grade level after school playdates and spirit nights which can be found on social media and the Buzz. After our successful Dance Fit, we continue to thank you for your generosity and support. Currently, our incredible PTO is also working to create other opportunities to support Buckalew's operating budget and to help our Buckalew students get closer to 1:1 technology. Our first grade level "pandemic playdate" is planned February 4th, with our kindergartners. This is a fundraiser for in-person students to stay after school, and for online students to zoom after school. Details are below.
The school board approved the 21-22 school year calendar. It is also attached below in PDF form below for your planning purposes.
Just a reminder, there are 2 different links below to review for success on the learning platform you have selected as a family. The remainder of the information in the BUZZ is applicable to our entire Buckalew Community!
Please join us for a live update from Dr. Curtis Null, Superintendent, on Tuesday, January 26, at 6 PM on the Conroe ISD YouTube Channel. Anyone unable to view the update live will be able to access it on the Conroe ISD Facebook page and YouTube Channel.
Please CLICK here if your child is attending IN PERSON.
Can My Child Go To School Today?
1/25- 2/14- Little Caesars Pizza Kit Fundraiser
2/4- Kg Play Date
2/11- 3rd Grade Play Date
2/12- Student Holiday
2/15- Presidents' Day (School Holiday)
3/9- 4th- Grade Play Date
3/12- Student Holiday
3/15- 3/20- SPRING BREAK
4/15- 1st Grade Play Date
4/22- 2nd Grade Play Date
2021-2022 School Board-Approved School Calendar
Picture Perfect Friday Video Pictures
Child Nutrition Free Breakfast/Lunch Continues Until the End of The Year!
Little Caesars Fundraiser Now - 2/14
Congratulations to this year's Western Art Winners!!
4th Grade- Isha Kadam
3rd Grade- Valentina Medina
3rd Grade- Eleonora Diedukhova
3rd Grade- Reethi Aswin
2nd Grade- Maddox Jurick
2nd Grade- Isabelle Jones
2nd Grade- Ahana Kulkarni
What a beautiful job they've done!! Thank you ALL for your hard work on your Western Art projects this year!! It was a hard decision as always and I'm very proud of you all!
Hi Buckalew Bears! I'm Mrs. Points, your school counselor. With each Buzz, I will have resources to support the social and emotional learning of our students. If your family has a specific need you would like to contact me about, please don't hesitate to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
January's Character Trait: Self-Control
Self-control is the ability to live beyond our wants and impulses. It is the ability to delay our gratification for the greater good. People with self-control have the ability to control their words, actions, and even attitudes.
According to News Medical, a large New Zealand study tracked a thousand people from childhood to age 45. The study found that those who had higher levels of self-control had healthier brains and bodies. They were also better equipped for the health, financial, and social challenges that come with age.
We set our children up for success when we teach the value of self-control and help them practice it in their daily lives.
LOST AND FOUND
A friendly reminder to please label all of your child's belongings with first name and last initial or last name. **Water bottles, lunch boxes, hats, and especially outerwear such as hoodies/jackets/sweaters are all great things to label as these items tend to pile up quickly in the Lost and Found, which is located right outside of the gym.
For more details/close-up pictures of items currently in Lost and Found, please visit the Buckalew Elementary Parents Facebook page.
**please note: any items not claimed by March 1 will be donated If you have any additional questions, please contact Joanna Altimas: email@example.com
Parents just a reminder to send all transportation changes to school with your child in their backpack.
For emergencies only, e-mail Buckalewtransportation@Conroeisd.net
PRIOR TO 2 PM and make sure you get a confirmation that your change was received.
Please note weather is not considered an emergency.
Classroom teachers do not always check emails throughout the day or may even be absent and that request would not be received in time. If you have sent a note with your child it is not necessary to e-mail the note to the front office. Thank you.
2019-2020 Texas Academic Performance Report (TAPR)
The accountability reports can be accessed using the following steps:
From Buckalew's website:
· Go to "Our School/Campus"
· Click “View School Profile"
· Select “Accountability Reports”
· Click “2019-2020”
· Select "Texas Academic Performance Report "
********Easy Ways to Donate Money to Buckalew PTO********
Kroger Community Rewards
Kroger Community Rewards makes fund-raising easy by donating to Buckalew based on the shopping you do everyday. Once you are registered, every time you shop at Kroger you will be earning money for Buckalew! Just search for Buckalew Elementary on your digital account select and save!
Box Tops for Education
The traditional clipping of Box Tops is going away but the Box Tops app makes it so easy to just scan your receipt after you shop. Box Tops are worth $.10 each and can add up fast! Twice a year, our school receives a check to help pay for whatever we need. There are also times to earn Bonus Box Tops and the App will send you these notifications. Participating companies include General Mills, Green Giant, Pillsbury, Ziploc, Hefty, Juicy Juice, Annie’s and many more.
Remember to scan your receipt within 14 days of purchase or it will expire.
Select Buckalew as your charity!
This is a simple & automatic way for you to support Buckalew every time you shop. When you shop at smile.amazon.com, Amazon will donate a portion of the purchase price. On your first visit to AmazonSmile, you need to select a charitable organization & your selection will be saved for future purchases. Just remember to always login under smile.amazon.com.
The purpose of the PTO is to: (a) promote the welfare of children at Buckalew; (b) to foster cooperation between parents and teachers in the education of children at Buckalew; (c) to unite school and community efforts in securing for all children the best education; (d) to engage in fundraising activities for the educational and recreational benefit of Buckalew, its children, teachers, and staff as determined by the PTO and in accordance with the PTO by-laws.
President- Paige Perry
VP Fundraising- Amy Kemp
VP Parent Involvement- Heather Lozinak
VP Communications- Jackie Berry
Treasurer- Elizabeth Kutka
Secretary- Janelle Ray
Parliamentarian- Julie Naughton
Buckalew Elementary PTO Membership 2020-2021
We Cannot Do It Without Your Support!
The Buckalew PTO membership is a family membership (1 per family) and costs $25.
Your membership will include one copy of the student directory and 1 Buckalew Elementary Car Decal.
To purchase your membership online:
1. Go to www.buckalewspiritstore.com
2. Click on Buckalew PTO Membership to add to cart
Buckalew Elementary PTO
Ongoing Spirit event at Locker Room Haircuts! - All Year!
From our Police Department:
A few friendly reminders in regards to school zone safety and car rider drop off safety:
- Please remember to remind your children NOT to cross until the crossing guards are at their posts in the morning. The building is not open until 7:30.
- Please remember if you are in your car, to wait for the crossing guards not only to cross the children, but for the crossing guards themselves to make it back to the sidewalk.
- Please remember to stay off your cell phones when driving in school zones.
- Please remember their are NO DOGS allowed on school property. This is for your personal liability and the safety of all of our students.
- Please remember there are no U-Turns in front of the school.
- Lakeside Park- if you are dropping your kids off or picking them up from Lakeside Park please park your vehicle to do so. It becomes a safety issue to just drive up and let your kids out or have them get in without parking. Please use our car line in the back of Buckalew if you want just drop off your child.
Determining Regular or Close Contact at School
- Individual who has had close contact (within 6 feet for 15 minutes or longer) with a person who has tested positive for COVID-19 up to 48 hrs prior to symptom onset.
- Individual who has had close contact (within 6 feet for 15 minutes or longer) with a person who has tested positive for COVID-19 within 2 days prior to the person developing symptoms and/or testing positive.
- Individual who provided care at home to someone who is sick with COVID-19.
- Individual who had direct physical contact with someone who has COVID-19 including touched, hugged, or kissed them, shared eating or drinking utensils, or were sneezed or coughed on by the sick person while they had symptoms or within 2 days of the sick person developing symptoms and/or testing positive.
- The identified individuals may be required to quarantine at home for 14 days from the date of last contact with the positive person.
- The current pattern is those who do not wear a mask consistently during class are being quarantined.
- Face Shields alone are NOT CONSIDERED a mask or cloth face covering.
Parent Access Login
To access your child’s information online you must register for an account.
Please go to the following link and follow the directions below:
Click the “Student/Parent” tab
Click on “Parent Access Center”
Stay in touch with CISD by downloading our new mobile app!
Download the app on your mobile device today and select ‘yes’ to receive push notifications with the latest news and updates from the District.
- Push Notifications - Select ‘yes’ when you download the app to receive the latest push notifications from the District.
- Calendar Events - Add events to the calendar on your personal mobile device directly from the calendar section on the app.
- News - Check out the latest District-wide and school news all in one place!
20-21 Calendar for your planning purposes
Click below for FAQ's
Please Visit the Roadmap to Reopening as Updates are provided regularly
Give the Gift of a TAE (Teacher Achieving Excellence)
Log Into "Parent Access" by clicking:
and click on the "Teachers/Staff Excellence" Tab.
Feel free to type your own message and send any staff a positive message!