Colrain Central School News
Where we learn by serving...
Finding us online
March 10, 2023
A Note From Mrs. Looman
- This weekend is the deadline for registering for spring baseball. Please see the registration form below and reach out to Kristin Richardson with any questions you may have.
- Reminder: Our Preschool & Kindergarten Registration for next year will be held next week on Friday, March 17th. If you have, or know, anyone whose child is eligible for either preschool or kindergarten next year, please be sure they know about it.
- There will be no school for current preschool/kindergarten students on Friday, March 17th because of the registration days.
- Wednesday, March 22nd is a full day. We will be having an all school assembly at 2:30 in the gym. Some grades will be performing the dance they have been working on in PE.
- Spring Family/Teacher Conferences are scheduled for Thursday and Friday, March 23rd and 24th. If you need to reschedule your conference, please contact the office as soon as possible. Both of those days will be 12:30 dismissal times.
- We are in need of substitute staff. If you like children and have a schedule that allows you some time, please consider talking to me about becoming a substitute.
- We also continue to look for a full-time school psychologist. If you know anyone who may be interested, please let me know, or point them in our direction.
- Mark your calendars! Wednesday, March 29th will be the District Showcase of Learning at MTRS. This is an opportunity for you to see some of the amazing work of students from around the district and learn a little more about what MTRS has to offer. More details to come.
The Book Fair is Coming!
Mark your calendars for March 20th - 24th.
The Book Fair will run Monday - Friday and will be open during conferences. Students will have the opportunity to preview the books, write a wish list, and visit the book fair with their class. The Book Fair will also be open during Meet and Greet and recess/lunch times (if we have enough volunteers to staff it).Please fill out this Google Form if you are able to volunteer at the Book Fair. It’s easy to do and you will be trained when you show up. All volunteers need to have a current CORI Form on file in the office. Please contact Sandy White in the office if you have any questions about the CORI: 413-624-3451, email@example.com.
Literacy Communications Survey
Caregivers for students in grades K-8 are invited to share feedback about literacy-related communication. Please let us know how we are doing with sharing information about your student's literacy program and literacy learning.
Specialist's Scoop: Valerie Lively, Special Education Teacher
Teachers use a lot of ‘buzz’ words or phrases… what do they mean! Here is an explanation of 8 math best practices, as cited from Fletcher Maynard Academy (click the link for more information) These 8 best practices were developed by Fletcher Maynard Academy out of Cambridge MA. Our current math program, Bridges, supports these practices.
Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
Model with mathematics.
Use appropriate tools strategically.
Attend to precision.
Look for and make use of structure.
Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
These practices help us become good problem solvers. This next link provides us with a visual of how this looks in the classroom. Classroom poster for good problem solving.
The Town of Colrain Is Seeking an Administrative Assistant
The Town of Colrain is seeking an administrative professional to provide support services to the Board of Selectmen and Town Administrator (This is a part-time – 24 hour per week, benefited position).
Applicants should submit a letter of interest, resume and application (available at the Colrain Town Office located at 55 Main Road in Colrain) to Kevin Fox, Town Administrator, 55 Main Road, Colrain, MA 01340, or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
A full Job Description is available upon request and is also available on the Towns web-site: https://colrain-ma.gov .
The Town of Colrain is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
3/14: LEC meeting
3/17: PK & K Registration Day~no school for current PK & K students
3/23 & 3/24: Family/Teacher Conferences
3/29: District Showcase of Learning at MTRS
March early release dates:
1:50 dismissals: 3/15, 3/29
12: 30 dismissals: 3/23, 3/24