Buckingham Elementary School
The Mighty Knight Connection - May 2013 - Issue 10
Buckingham Dress Code Guidelines
As the warmer weather approaches, the following are apparel guidelines for all students. Please help your child to make good judgements when choosing their attire:
Central Bucks: Kindergarten-Sixth Grade Registration
Do you have an incoming Kindergarten student or First-Grader? Does your neighbor? Spread the word! Early registration helps with future planning and contributes to more accurate class size allocations. Please be sure to register with Central Bucks School District Registration Department for any child starting in Central Bucks next year! CLICK HERE for more details from Central Registration.
Buckingham Kindergarten Orientation will be held on the morning of August 28th prior to the start of school. More information to follow!
Save the Date - 6th Grade Promotion
6th Grade Promotion
When: Monday, June 17th - Doors Open @ 7:00PM
Where: Holicong Middle School Auditorium
Note: Reception to follow in the Holicong Cafeteria
Planning for 2013-2014 School Year
Buckingham Field Day - May 31 (Raindate - June 7)
- Kids should carry with them a water bottle with their name on it. We will have water stations built into the day to help keep the kids hydrated.
- Sun block/screen should be used before the kids/teacher start in the morning and reapplied in the afternoon.
- Sneakers, socks and comfortable clothing are a must! Hats can be a good idea!Discussing the importance of Sportsmanship and making this a fun day!
- HAVE FUN!
Thank you for taking the time to read this and making sure your child is ready for this fun packed day!
Mr. Durie, Physical Educator
News & Upcoming Events
Jun. 3 - 6th Grade Briarwood Field Trip
Jun. 4 - 3rd Grade Field Trip - Philly Zoo
Jun. 4 - Buckingham Spring Concert - 6:30PM
Jun. 10 - Spirit Assembly - BMX Anti-Bully/Bike Safety Show
Jun. 10 - Buckingham Night @ Chubby's Ice Cream Parlor 5:30PM-8:30PM (Plumstead)
Jun. 11 - School Board Meeting - Educational Services Center - 7:30PM
Jun. 12 - Spring Boomerang Breakfast - 8:30AM - Invitation
Jun. 13 - 6th Grade Beakfast - 7:45AM
Jun. 13-18 - 1st Grade's: Camp Learned-A-Lot
Jun. 14 - Flag Day
Jun. 14 - Yearbook Distribution - All School
Jun. 14 - Move-Up Day - Afternoon - Grades K-5; Grade 6 Kickball Game
Jun. 14 - 6th Grade Party - 7:00PM-9:30PM - Cafeteria
Jun. 16 - Father's Day
Jun. 17 - 6th Grade Promotion - Holicong Middle School Auditorium - 7:00PM
Jun. 19 - Last Day for Students - Early Dismissal - 12:10PM
District Art Show: Hands On - May 17-19
The opening night of the District Art Show 2013 is this Friday, May 17th from 6:30-8:30 p.m. at Mill Creek Elementary. Every year, many of our Buckingham students are featured. Mill Creek will also be open on Saturday and Sunday as well. Why not gather your family and check out the incredible talents of students across the district?
"Read With Rita's" Program
Our Read with Rita’s program is in full-swing! Please have your child read each night and fill out their Read with Rita’s reading log. Once your child has reached a total of 4 hours of reading, have them bring in their Read with Rita’s reading log to earn free water ice coupons from their teacher!
Central Bucks - Support the 9/11 Heroes Run - September 2013
THE 9/11 HEROES RUN UNITES COMMUNITIES INTERNATIONALLY WITH THE GOAL TO NEVER FORGET THE SACRIFICES OF THE HEROES OF SEPTEMBER 11TH AND IN THE WARS SINCE: VETERAN, FIRST RESPONDER, CIVILIAN, AND MILITARY. JOIN US TO RAISE AWARENESS AND HONOR THE FALLEN.
Please join Central Bucks School District is supporting the 9/11 Heroes Run. Registration is now open for the September 15th event. Doylestown borough will once again host a 5k and 1 mile fun walk/run to raise support and awareness for all of the heroes of September 11th.
Buckingham Veggie Garden Sprouts to Life!
The Buckingham Vegetable Garden has taken root with the help of our students, volunteers, and community! Students from grades K,1,2,and 3 began planting the first seeds and seedlings with "cold weather" veggies (kale, cauliflower red cabbage, parsley, peas, kohlrabi, Swiss chard and fennel). The 5th graders will be planting warmer weather veggies like tomatoes, corn and peppers in the next few weeks. Finally, 4th grade student, Rachel Chodeka, created beautiful ceramic tiles noting each bed on the outside fence. Beautifully done and very decoractive!
Thanks to the Veggie Garden Committee, our parent volunteers from each class/grade-level, Pennypack Farm Educator - Diane Diffenderfer, Master Gardner Dave Pincheck and the Farm Manager from Blue Moon Acres who generously donated by Blue Moon Acres.
With this being the first year for our garden, we are excited to see what the growing season will bring. What a great opportunity for our students and community to be able to see the benefits of their planning and contributions - and to just "play in the dirt!"
Buckingham "Steps-Out" to help Others - Africa Walk 2013
On Friday, May 3rd, Buckingham Elementary students were encouraged walk three miles to raise money in order to build a school in Liberia, Africa. Children, teachers, and parent volunteers carried water jugs and balanced baskets on their heads to get a feel for what it is like to carry water in Africa. As a school, Buckingham raised approximately $7,500, which will help finish the construction of the school and provide solar-power for the building - so women might learn to read at night. The walk was a huge success thanks to the hard work of all Buckingham’s Mighty Knights. Because Buckingham students are dedicated to helping others around the world, they are truly making a difference one "step" at a time.
National Teacher Appreciation Day & National School Nurse Day
This week, the Buckingham community celebrated our wonderful staff on two special days: National Teacher Appreciation Day (May 7) and National School Nurses Day (May 8)! Buckingham Elementary is fortunate to have a wonderful school staff that values teaching and children. A special Kentucky Derby-themed luncheon was prepared by Mrs. Vivian Marquez and her Parent Committee. Thanks to those who volunteered or provided a special dish.
On behalf of Buckingham Elementary, thanks to all the parents and students in your recognition of the important work teachers live to do each and everyday.
-Karl Funseth, Principal
Kindergarteners Celebrate "Re-Use" with their Sculpture Gardens!
Happy Mother's Day! - First Graders Honor Moms!
The first grade classes held their annual Mother’s Day Tea on Friday May 10th. The moms were honored with songs, poems and very special writings dedicated to each student's special mom or loved one. The children had a great time performing and telling their mothers how much they’re loved.
Buckingham Welcomes Judge Findley
On Monday, May 13th the honorable Judge Jeffrey Findley visited Buckingham’s fifth grade to talk about the judicial branch of the government and the typical duties of a judge from the Bucks County Court of Common Pleas. Students had an opportunity to ask questions regarding the civil, juvenile and criminal cases that Judge Findley tries.
6th Graders Connect with CB West Math Mentors
CB Cares Boomerang Nominations
May: #40 Positive View of Personal Future -
Young person is optimistic about his or her own future and strives to reach his/her goals. They have hopes, dreams, enthusiasm and plans. He/she demonstrates strong efforts to achieve their goals, whatever they might be.
Students/Parents/Teachers, please nominate a Buckingham student by clicking here! In your paragraph, include how your nominee exemplifies this month’s asset. Nominations are due to Mr. Rosica by May 20th.
School Board Briefs
At the May 14, 2013 School Board Meeting, the Central Bucks School District School Board:
1. Heard the CB West Chamber Choir performance before the school board meeting and via video, the Pledge of Allegiance was led by Mrs. Crotzer’s 2nd grade Barclay class.
2. Recognized Donna Radice, Certified School Nurse at Holicong Middle School, for being named PA School Nurse of the Year. Also recognized four students for winning an Aramark sponsored Nutrition poster contest for National Nutrition Month in March. The students are:
- K-3 Madison Gordon – Warwick Elementary
- 4-6 Sarah Hicks – Doyle Elementary
- Middle Steven Song – Tohickon
- High Grace Lenart – CB South
3. Heard the Academic Spotlight about Hearing Support Services by Jane Curtis and Jean Marie Perry. Ms. Curtis and Mr. Perry provide hearing support to our students with hearing impairments. These students require services to address needs primarily in the area of language arts, communication, accessing public and private accommodations and the use of assistive technologies designed for individuals with deafness or hearing impairment.
4. Heard the Superintendent’s Report, Communications, Curriculum, and Human Resources Committee Reports.
5. Approved the School Board Minutes.
6. Approved Construction Contracts as follows:
- Contract to S & H Landscaping to replace the parking lot, entrance drives, and student drop off loops at Pine Run Elementary School in the amount of $828,185.
7. Tabled School Board Policy #217 – Graduation Requirements, School Board Policy #217.3 – Awarding of Credit-Other Educational Experience, School Board Policy #302 – Employment of Superintendent/Assistant Superintendent, and School Board Policy #312 – Performance Assessment of Superintendent/Assistant Superintendent so that the proposed policies can be posted on the CBSD website.
8. Approved School Board Policy #210 – Use of Medications and the School Board Policy for Electronic Signatures.
9. Approved various personnel items, student trips, Foreign Exchange Student at CB West, Adoption of Courses of Study, Adoption of Textbooks and Staff Workshops. Included in the personnel items were the appointments of the following principals:
- Jason Bucher – Principal, Central Bucks High School – West
- David Bolton – Principal, Holicong Middle School
- Tim Donovan – Principal, Lenape Middle School
- Christina Lang – Principal, Unami Middle School
10. Received a Sabbatical Leave of Absence, Student Activities Quarterly Reports, and Board Calendar as information items.
Buckingham Elementary School
Buckingham, PA 18912-0158
Principal, Karl Funseth
Principal's Secretary, Janice Petrie