Tomahawk News- February 2020
Corinth Elementary School
Happy February! We are looking forward to all of the exciting things that will be happening this month. Our 4th graders have been working hard preparing for their upcoming performance of Beauty and the Beast. We will also be hosting our annual Dine with your Valentine. This is a special time for students and families to enjoy lunch together in our cafeteria.
It is our honor to continue serving the students, parents, and community of Corinth. Every month we have Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) assemblies. During these assemblies we honor a student from each classroom that demonstrated the word of the month. We also award classes and grade levels for showing respect on the school bus, in the cafeteria, and cleanliness in their classroom. We look forward to honoring more students in the coming months as they show positive behaviors throughout their school day.
Mrs. Renee Young, Principal
Mrs. Jessica Valente, Assistant Principal
PBIS Assembly, January 2020
For the month of February teachers will be looking to nominate students who demonstrate the "other people matter" mindset within the classroom and school community.
Teft - Rosenbrock Family
Random Acts of Kindness
CARE and Backpack Program Volunteers
These volunteers come to our school weekly to organize and pack 50 bags for our Backpack Program. They also work hard to keep our CARE Closet clean and organized.
Parking and Student Safety for Arrival and Dismissal
1. The bus ramp is closed from 7:00-9:00 in the morning and from 2:00-4:00 in the afternoon. We need to keep this area clear for the safety of our students and for our buses.
2. The parent drop-off loop is in the back of the building near the first grade entrance. Students may enter through those doors starting at 8:14am.
3. Parents who are escorting their child into the building should park in the main parking lot at the front of the building. You must park and walk your student into the building. Students should NOT be crossing the bus ramp without their adult escort.
4. Both parking lots can be utilized when you are picking your student up at dismissal. There are plenty of parking spaces in both lots making parking along the road unnecessary.
Our 4th grade students present BEAUTY AND THE BEAST
Come and join the Beast, Beauty, and all of their friends as our talented Fourth Grade class
presents Beauty and the Beast on Wednesday, February 12th in the Elementary Cafeteria.
Show time for the general public will be at 6:30pm. Our students have been practicing hard, so be sure to come and support their amazing talents as they bring the stage to life!
Dine with your Valentine Lunch Schedule
Gr. K: 10:30-11:00- Tuesday
Gr. 1: 10:55-11:25- Thursday
Gr. 2: 11:20-11:50- Wednesday
Gr. 3: 12:05-12:35- Wednesday
Gr. 4: 11:45-12:15- ThursdayGr. 5: 12:35-1:05- Tuesday
REMINDER: if you are buying a lunch when you come, the cost is $4.50 for adult meals.
*ONLY 1 ADULT PER STUDENT*
5th Grade Honor Roll- 2nd Marking Period
Every Day Counts at CES!
If your child is absent from school, please remember to phone the main office or the school nurse at 518-654-2960 to report the absence. A written excuse must also be sent to school on the day your child returns stating the reason for the absence. This is especially important during flu season for proper tracking of contagious illness. Thank you for your cooperation.
Parents are essential partners in promoting good attendance because they have the power to:
Make getting children to school on time every day a top priority
Alert schools and community agencies to barriers that keep kids from attending class
Ask for and monitor data on chronic absence
Demand action to address systemic barriers that may be causing large numbers of students to miss too much school.
Each day a class has perfect attendance they add a letter to spell out PERFECT ATTENDANCE. Students earn a class party when they have accomplished this goal.
School Bus Safety
Classes go outside for recess during the winter months. Please send your child prepared with boots, hats, gloves/mittens, and snow pants to be outside for 25 minutes. Let us know if your child does not have these items because we may be able to help.
Can Tab Update
We are half way through our can-tab collection for this year. The winning class for the first half was Mrs. Lefebre’s fifth grade class. They brought in 41 buckets of tabs! They will be treated to a pizza party in February. Mrs. DuMoulin’s class was in a close 2nd place with 38 buckets of tabs. Our total for the year so far is 556,000 tabs! Let’s see if we can reach 1 million for the year. Keep bringing them in. Our next winning class will be announced in June.
Students can send a Valentine’s Day pencil gram to friends and teachers this Valentine’s Day. Each pencil gram is $1.00 and can be dropped off in the PTSA Valentine’s Day box located in the office until February 7th. All money collected will be donated to our Cafeteria Angel fund. Pencils grams will be handed out on Valentine’s Day.
Let’s show our Elementary staff how much we love them this Valentine’s Day! We will be setting up a treat table for all staff to enjoy on Valentine’s Day. We are in need of treat donations to be dropped off during arrival on February 14th. Please sign up via our sign up genius link on our Facebook page: Corinth, NY elementary PTSA.
Our next meeting is February 13th at 6:30pm in the Elementary cafeteria. We hope to see you there!
Corinth Free Library Highligts
February is Library Lovers Month and also National Cherry Month.
- February 1st is Take Your Child to the Library Day. We have a variety of events planned from 10:30-3pm. Stop in for a story, to do a craft, play a game with your friends and family, or to put a puzzle together. There will be FREE BOOKS for children.
- The library will be closed on February 17th for president's Day
- Join us on February 24th at 7:00pm for Science Monday. Come have fun with robots, Legos, circuit builders, and the new marble maze.
- The Cabin Fever Board Game Club is in full swing. The Board Game Club is for elementary and middle school age children who love games. Tired of winter? Join us for some fun after school on Thursdays in February. We start after school and play until 4pm.
- Check our website to see what’s happening http://corinth.sals.edu.
- Don’t forget story time for Children and their families is on Saturdays at 10:30am.
- Visit us during your winter recess to find a great book to read, movie to watch, play a great board game, work on our puzzle, or use our computers.
Some Great books to read this month are:
I Want a Dog – Jon Agee
Narwhal on a Sunny Night – Mary Pope Osborne
Feb. 11: BOE Meeting, 6:00pm
Feb. 11: Dine with your Valentine for Gr. K & 5
Feb. 12: Dine with your Valentine for Gr. 2 & 3
Feb. 12: Gr. 4 Play, 6:30pm, cafeteria
Feb. 13: Dine with your Valentine for Gr. 1 & 4
Feb. 13: PTSA Meeting @ 6:30pm
Feb. 14: SNOW date for Dine with Valentine if needed
Feb. 25: BOE Meeting, 6:00pm
Feb. 17 – Feb. 21 NO SCHOOL–WINTER RECESS
Corinth Clothes Zone by the CARE Committee
Corinth Clothes Zone order form- https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfuv_HB4cVFEtmocEeBjayehnzEwhMWSqQiW6qs4_iaL9HOUQ/viewform?usp=sf_link