Job Position: Worship Technology Leader- FUMC is looking for someone to lead and coordinate the technology aspects of worship. Find the full job description on our website (www.fumcwaukesha.org/worship-technology-leader). Please contact Rev. Susan Bresser, Rev. Greta Hietpas or Melissa Freiberg, SPRC chairperson to set up an interview.
Back To School 2021: Children and Youth look in the mail for your Backpack Blessing card. As you start another year of unknowns, KNOW that your congregation is praying for you and your families. We look forward to seeing everyone in October as we restart Sunday School, Youth Group and start a new Confirmation Class. God Bless!!
Living Faith Today-The topic for 9/14 is ""Twenty Years Later, What Are the Lessons from the 9/11 Terroist Attacks - Part 2" - People whose loved ones died on that catastrophic day, have struggled to come to terms with the murder of a loved one and with the larger issues that terrorism presents to our world. What are the many traumas families experienced because of 9/11? What are possible approaches for people wanting to work against various types of radicalism.
This study group looks at what is happening in the world, how Scripture may guide us, and how we might respond in keeping with our faith. The group meets each Tuesday evening beginning at 6:30 PM for 1 hour via Zoom. This is not a class where you have to be there every week. You can come to some and not others depending on what is going on in your life. If you would like to check out this study group (they really are nice), just email JoAnn Wright (email@example.com) and she will add you to the email list. We hope you will join us.
Waukesha County is listed as having a substantial level of community transmission. Because of this, we are asking the worshipping community to please wear masks as part of our Christian witness. We mask because WE LOVE OUR NEIGHBORS. Our recommendation to mask in worship addresses the needs of the MIXED-VACCINATION status in our faith community. Even though nearly half of Wisconsinites are fully vaccinated, we will be mindful of those not yet vaccinated, those for whom vaccines offer less protection, and those who cannot be vaccinated (including our children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren under the age of 12). Let us continue to practice DOING NO HARM.
XYZ Retreat Cancelled In the interest of “do no harm,” we have found it necessary to cancel this year’s XYZ retreat. The retreat was scheduled for September 19-21 at Pine Lake United Methodist Camp. The wide spread of the Delta variant has become a real concern, especially in a retreat setting. The cancellation was a difficult decision, but we feel that it is in the best interest of all concerned.
- Circle of Sisters Join us beginning September 27th on the fourth Monday of each month, 7:00-8:30 pm, September–May (no meeting in December), to read and reflect on the book Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer. Robin is an indigenous scientist who through essays brings us lessons from the world around us. Attend when you can, even if that is not every month! Please sign up at HERE with your preferred email typed into the comment box. Please give us your information even if you cannot make the first meeting. You will need to obtain your own book. Cheryl Printz will email you the reading schedule as we get closer to our first meeting. We hope to be able to meet in person by September, but just in case we have created a Zoom to meet and will get you that information if needed. Please contact Cheryl if you have any questions or concerns.
- Waukesha Memory Cafe "Waukesha Memory Cafe" is Wednesday, September 22, 10:30- noon. The topic is “Legend of the Night Sky”, presented by Gary Sampson and Dave DeRemer. This is a social gathering for those who are experiencing early-stage dementia, mild memory loss, or mild cognitive impairment (MCI), and for their families, friends, or care partners. For questions, call Lu Ann Ramsey at 262-524-9378. Due to construction at the Waukesha Public Library, we will meet at the Kathryn Muehl room in the Waukesha Parks, Recreation and Forestry Department office at 1900 Aviation Dr., Waukesha.
The Wisconsin Wind Orchestra, one of the few professional chamber wind ensembles in the world, will present a concert at First United Methodist Church, Waukesha, on Sunday, October 3 beginning at 4 pm. The concert is free and open to the public. The wind orchestra will perform a varied program of music ranging from a Renaissance battle piece, to beautiful Impressionist works by Ravel and Debussy, delightful classic music by Haydn, a concerto for bassoon, and a world premiere of a new piece called Laredo Variations from the pen of the group's conductor, Lawrence Dale Harper. A freewill offering will be accepted.
- Men’s Breakfast group is meeting on October 10th. We meet the second Sunday of each month. If you’d like more information, contact Dirk Wilken.
- Attention Upper Room Readers! Copies of the September/October Upper Room are available. Previous editions are available as well. If you’d like a copy, they are available in the hallway. You can contact the Office Manager for a mailed copy as well.
Download FUMC’s APP Today – We are excited to announce that FUMC’s APP is now available to download in the iTunes App Store, Google Play and Amazon App Store. Go to our webpage to download the app or simply search “FUMC Waukesha” in the store to get started. Note: You currently do not need to create an account to use the app unless you plan on using the Giving or Notes portion. Designed to be used on smartphones and tablets, the purpose of our app is to have everything our members and friends need to know about FUMC in one easily accessible place.
Yarntwisters is still a regularly active group. Each Tuesday from 9:30 to 11:30, we have met at members homes. It been a wonderful experience. It kept us active, social distance at first, but helped us able to experience friendship and socialization, much needed during this time. If you have free time and want to join us, we love to add new members. We would be glad to teach anyone to knit or crochet. Yarntwisters love yarn donations, they can be left in room 209 or at church office at any time. That yarn will be put to good use. If you have questions, please contact Joyce Collins at 262-544-1781
- In-Person Scripture Readers Needed- Consider being a scripture reader in the sanctuary! You can sign up and read guidelines HERE or by calling the church office.
If you would like to donate altar flowers, please SIGN UP HERE. Please indicate on the sign up if you would like to keep or donate them to a homebound member after.
Greeters needed: We are now changing the way we use Greeters at FUMC. We would like to have 4 people per Sunday to help people sign in, grab a mask, and give directions etc. Please pick your Sunday and sign up! Bring a friend or family member to join with you. We ask that you arrive by 9 am to begin your time.
- Weeders and Mowers Needed! If you are able to weed, come to church whenever is convenient and devote an hour or two to weed the beds. There is no need to coordinate with anyone. If you are able to mow one week (or more weeks), please contact Brian Hietpas at 414-405-0040 to get on the schedule. The mower is provided.
- You can help increase AmazonSmile donations to First United Methodist Church (at no cost to you) by shopping HERE or with AmazonSmile in the Amazon Shopping app.
Healing Hearts offers virtual support groups for those with a grieving heart. The Adult Grief Support Group meets the second Tuesday of the month form 6:00pm-7:00pm. The Family Support Group for children, teens and adults meet on Monday from 6:00pm-7:00pm rotating between children and parent groups (every other week for each). The Young Adult Peer Grief Support Group meets every other Thursday from 6:00pm-7:30pm. To register for any of these groups call (262)751-0874 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The counting team requests that you continue to use your offering envelopes when mailing in contributions. If you have not received yours, please email Tia Legler with the number of envelopes you would like and she will get those to you.
- Click the link below for the FUMC Photo Directory. If you would like your photo added please contact Cheryl Printz. Link to the Photo Directory: Photo Directory
- We appreciate your ongoing financial support of FUMC's mission and ministry. Our online giving account can be found using this link: HERE Your checks can be mailed to the church and designated to support our church budget or other specific missions of our church. Note to church members: When you mail your check-in, please include your green pledge envelope with your envelope number on it inside the mailing envelope. Our address: First United Methodist Church, 121 Wisconsin Avenue, Waukesha, WI 53186.