Down syndrome is caused by extra genetic material from chromosome 21. Chromosomes are the structures in cells that contain the genes.
there isnt a treatment to cure down syndrom but there is special treatments to help some symptoms of down syndrome.
- your child could be dignosed before birth
- Children with Down syndrome usually can do most things that any young child can do, such as walking, talking, dressing and being toilet-trained. However, they generally start learning these things later than unaffected children.
- At age 30, the risk is 1 in 1,000
- about 80 percent of babies with Down syndrome are born to women under age 35
- the chance of having another baby with Down syndrome is about 1 in 100 up to age 40.