Krishnasai Chalasani and Zach Maeshima
EU - European Union
Purpose: To deliver peace, stability, and prosperity in Europe, helped raise our citizens’ living standards, launched a single European currency (the euro), and is progressively building a single Europe-wide free market for goods, services, people, and capital.
- An economic and political alliance
- Countries Involved: Austria, Belgium Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom.
- The main headquarters for the EU is in Brussels.
- The EU was formed on November 1, 1993.
- The EU was created after WWII. It was originally created for Economic cooperation but quickly expanded for other things.
NATO - North Atlantic Treaty Organization
Purpose: To safeguard the freedom and security of its members through political and military means.
Political - NATO promotes democratic values and encourages consultation and cooperation on defence and security issues to build trust and prevents conflict.
Military - NATO is committed to the peaceful resolution of disputes. If diplomatic efforts fail, it has the military capacity needed to undertake crisis-management operations. These are carried out under the Washington Treaty, NATO’s founding treaty, or under a UN mandate, alone or with other countries and international organizations.
- Countries in the NATO: Albania, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey, the United Kingdom, the United States
A political and military alliance.
The headquarters is located at Boulevard Leopold III, 1110 Brussels, Belgium, on the northeast perimeter of the city.
NATO was founded April 4, 1949
NATO was created in 1949 by the United States, Canada, and several Western European nations to provide collective security against the Soviet Union.
NAFTA - North American Free Trade Agreement
Purpose: To benefit the countries within the agreement, but many have been disagreeing with it. NAFTA links 450,000,000 citizens creating $17,000,000,000 worth of goods/services.
- Countries Involved: United States, Canada, and Mexico.
- A treaty between the neighboring countries of the United States (Canada and Mexico). It was designed for increasing trade between the countries by reducing/eliminating restrictions on commerce.
- The headquarters for NAFTA is in Troy, Michigan.
- It was began to take in effect on January 1, 1994.
- It was accepted and signed by President George H.W. Bush, the Mexican President Salinas, and the Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney in 1992. Then, it was signed into law by a different U.S. president, President Bill Clinton.
OPEC - Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries
Purpose: To unify all oil policies to make sure that the price of oil is stable so the countries involved in the organization have a more stable economies of producing and buying oil.
- Countries Involved: Baghdad, Iraq, Islamic Republic of Iran, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Venezuela, Qatar, Libya, the United Arab Emirates, Algeria, Nigeria, and Angola.
- An organization for managing oil.
- The main office for OPEC is located in Vienna, Austria.
- It was created on September 10-14 of 1960.
- It was created during a Conference in Baghdad in 1960.
Purpose: The Warsaw Pact was created to counter NATO countries.
- Countries Involved: Soviet Union, Albania(up to 1968), Bulgaria, Czechoslovakia, East Germany(up to 1990), Hungary, Poland, and Romania.
- A mutual political military defense organization that put Soviet Union in command of the militaries in the countries within the treaty.
- Said that if anyone were to attack the countries within the treaty, all the countries would have to aid the country and make Marshal Ivan S. Konev command the armies.
- The headquarters of the Warsaw Pact was in Moscow due to the USSR being dominant country within the organization.
- The pact ended after the Cold War (1991).
- The Warsaw Pact was named in the location where it was created (Warsaw).
UN - United Nations
- To maintain international peace and security;
- To develop friendly relations among nations;
- To cooperate in solving international problems and in promoting respect for human rights;
- And to be a centre for harmonizing the actions of nations.
- Countries Involved: China, France, Russian Federation, the United Kingdom, the United States, Argentina, Australia, Chad, Chile, Jordan, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Nigeria, Republic of Korea, and Rwanda.
- An intergovernmental organization to promote international co-operation.
- The headquarters of UN is a complex in New York City.
- UN was established on October 24, 1945.
- The United Nations officially came into existence, when the Charter had been ratified by China, France, the Soviet Union, the United Kingdom, the United States and by a majority of other signatories.
CIS - Commonwealth of Independent States
- Countries Involved: Azerbaijan, Armenia, Belarus, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Ukraine.
- A community of independent nations established by a treaty
- CIS was created in December 1991.
- CIS formed when the former Soviet Union totally dissolved in 1991.
So, how do supranational organizations benefit nations?
Consolidated versions of the treaty on European Union and of the treaty on the functioning of the European Union: charter of fundamental rights of the European Union. Luxemburg: Office for Official publications of the European Communities, 2010. Print. This book is credible. This helped us getting research about the EU. It had very accurate facts.
"Countries." EUROPA -. N.p., n.d. Web. 4 Feb. 2014. <http://europa.eu/about-eu/countries/index_en.htm>. This website helped us get research about the EU. This website can be credible since it has accurate facts.
"Gateway to the EU." What is the EU? : Cumbria County Council. N.p., n.d. Web. 6 Feb. 2014. <http://cumbria.gov.uk/business/ecodev/europedirect/what.asp>. This website helped get facts about the European Union. It was credible since it had very accurate information compared to the others.
"Google Images." Google Images. N.p., n.d. Web. 5 Feb. 2014. <http://www.google.com/imghp>. This website helped us get copyright free images of each supranational organization's logo.
"History of NAFTA." About.com US Economy. N.p., n.d. Web. 6 Feb. 2014. <http://useconomy.about.com/od/tradepolicy/p/NAFTA_History.htm>. This website is very credible since this helped us get very accurate facts about NAFTA.
"Home." OPEC :. N.p., n.d. Web. 6 Feb. 2014. <http://www.opec.org/opec_web/en/>. This website helped us get valuable information of OPEC. This website is guaranteed credible since this is the official website of the organization.
"North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)." Office of the United States Trade Representative. N.p., n.d. Web. 5 Feb. 2014. <http://www.ustr.gov/trade-agreements/free-trade-agreements/north-american-free-trade-agreement-nafta>. This website helped us get information of NAFTA. This website is very credible since it provided accurate facts.
Tatum, Malcolm, and Bronwyn Harris. "Supranational Organization." WiseGeek. Conjecture, 16 Jan. 2014. Web. 6 Feb. 2014. <http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-supranational.htm>. This website is very valuable since it gave me a lot of information about supranational organizations and helped me make my introduction, thus making it credible.
"The Warsaw Pact is formed." History.com. A&E Television Networks, n.d. Web. 6 Feb. 2014. <http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/the-warsaw-pact-is-formed>. This website is very valuable since it gives accurate facts about the Warsaw Pact. This website is very credible since history.com is used by most teachers.
"United Nations Foundation :: United Nations Foundation - Connecting You with the United Nations." United Nations Foundation. N.p., n.d. Web. 6 Feb. 2014. <http://www.unfoundation.org/>. This website is very credible since this is the official page of the UN thus giving us very accurate facts.
"Warsaw Pact Countries." About.com Geography. N.p., n.d. Web. 6 Feb. 2014. <http://geography.about.com/od/lists/qt/warsawpact.htm>. This website is very valuable since it gives accurate facts about the Warsaw Pact. This website is very credible since about.com is used by most teachers.
"What Is NAFTA?." wiseGEEK. N.p., n.d. Web. 6 Feb. 2014. <http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-nafta.htm>. This website is very valuable since it provides information about NAFTA thus making it credible.
"histoire, ONU, Nations Unies, Charte, chronologie." UN News Center. UN, n.d. Web. 4 Feb. 2014. <https://www.un.org/en/aboutun/history/>. This website is very credible since this is the official website of the UN, thus giving us accurate facts.
"GALE." Cengage. N.p., n.d. Web. 6 Feb. 2014. <http://www.cengage.com/search/showresults.do?N=197+4294904997>. This website is very credible since it is one of the CHS databases. It also gave us valuable information about the topic we were assigned.