JMS Weekly Update
December 6, 2020
Dear JMS Families,
This week's update contains:
- A Message From Our Nurse
- Yearbook Ordering Information
- School Picture Ordering Information
If you are interested in ordering a yearbook, or purchasing an 8th grade advertisement for the yearbook, now is the time to do so! You can find more information below.
If you still need to order school pictures, you can find more information below. If you need to pick up your school pictures, the JMS office is open on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 7:45-3:15. If you are in need of alternate arrangements, you can contact Ms. Deet.
Please continue to let our nurse, Mrs. Suess, know if anyone in your family has travelled outside of PA and/or is experiencing COVID-19 symptoms. With a planned return to school on December 11th, this information is critical to the safety of the students and staff at JMS.
We all need to do our part to slow the transmission. Please do your best to stay home, wear a mask, physically distance (6ft or more), avoid congregating in groups, and wash your hands.
Do not hesitate to reach out to us with any questions.
Dr. Sarah Shaw, Principal
Ms. Katelyn Deet, Assistant Principal
A Message From Our School Nurse
The nursing department appreciates your cooperation with symptom reporting and is asking for your continued communication concerning symptom reporting, COVID 19 testing, positive test results, and quarantine during remote instruction. The nurses will continue to track this information in preparation for return to the hybrid model of instruction.
As a reminder, if your child has any of these symptoms and/or your child has answered yes to any of the questions, please notify your child's school nurse. We will be checking our email and voicemail messages frequently (contact information below).
1. Do you have any of these symptoms that are not caused by another condition?
Fever temperature 100.4 degrees or above
Shortness of Breath or Difficulty Breathing
New Onset Loss of Taste and or Smell
Nausea or vomiting
2. Have you been exposed to or been in close contact with a COVID positive person?
3. Are you waiting for the results of a COVID test?
4. Have you traveled outside of the state of Pennsylvania for longer than 24 hours?
5. Have you had a positive COVID-19 test for an active virus in the past 10 days?
6. Within the past 14 days, has a public health or medical professional told you to self-monitor, self-isolate, or self-quarantine because of concerns about COVID-19 infection?
We hope that you are enjoying time with your family and staying healthy.
Lauren Suess, MEd;CSN;RN
We’re down to the final few weeks to order a yearbook and take out an 8th grade advertisement. If you are interested in a yearbook or an advertisement visit yearbookforever.com.
JMS Yearbooks are on sale now through January 1, 2021. We will be working throughout the year to collect pictures from the children who are working at home. If you have pictures that you would like to share with the yearbook, please email them to Ms. Beckett at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sunday, November 1 at 12:00 AM-Friday, January 1 at 11:59 PM: $45
Limited extras will be sold on the last day of school for $50. 8th Grade Advertisements are also for sale from now until January 1 for $30. Order your yearbook and take out an 8th grade ad TODAY! yearbookforever.com
School pictures have been uploaded to our photographer's website for ordering. Please visit Wayne's World of Photography to order your photos. Detailed instructions for how to do this are below. To view and order your photos:
- Visit Wayne's World of Photography.
- Click on "Schools" and then "Jefferson Middle School".
- Enter your student's MTLSD 7 digit ID number. (This number can be found on dashboard in the Student Information section.)
- Complete "student information" section.
- Complete your purchase online.
If you have ordered school pictures, you can pick them up at JMS on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday between 7:45 and 3:15. If you are in need of alternate arrangements, please contact Ms. Deet.
The Reorganization Meeting of the Board of School Directors will be held on Monday, December 7, 2020, at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held remotely via Zoom or call-in. All members of the public who wish to join the webinar should go to https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81430068310.
Teachers will contact any students who need to pick up materials for remote learning. Materials will be available in the office on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 7:45-3:15. Please contact Ms. Deet with any questions.
If you plan to travel out of state, please know that your child will need to quarantine for 14 days or produce a negative COVID-19 test prior to entering PA, before returning to school. During this time of quarantine you child will be able to log into class remotely, but will not be permitted to physically enter the building.
The Mt. Lebanon School District will continue serving free Grab-and-Go Meals to any student in the community under the age of 18, with no eligibility requirements, until further notice. The meals will be distributed at the elementary schools.
Meals will be available from 10:45 until 1:15 every day to accommodate all students during their lunch periods.
Resources For Families
The following resources provide information to help Mt. Lebanon School District families and staff navigate the complexities of COVID-19 and the impact the pandemic it is having on our daily lives. These resources will be updated as more information becomes available.
The MTLSD School Counselors in partnership with The Allegheny Children's Initiative Inc., have compiled a list of social services resources that may be helpful to you and your family. Please take a look and reach out to these organizations. They are here to help with any of the following:
- Mental Health
- General Assistance
Safe2Say Something is a youth violence prevention program run by the Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General. The program teaches youth and adults how to recognize warning signs and signals, especially within social media, from individuals who may be a threat to themselves or others and to “say something” BEFORE it is too late. With Safe2Say Something, it’s easy and confidential to report safety concerns to help prevent violence and tragedies.
Here’s how it works:
- Submit a report through the Safe2SaySomething system
- Crisis center reviews, assesses and processes all submissions
- Crisis center sends all submissions to school administration and/or law enforcement for intervention
- If needed, crisis center may contact tipster anonymously through the app
We are excited to announce that we are now offering the convenience of online registration for our athletic programs through partner company, FamilyID (www.familyid.com). FamilyID is a secure registration platform that provides you with an easy, user-friendly way to register for our programs, and helps us to be more administratively efficient and environmentally responsible. When you register through FamilyID, you enter your information once for multiple uses, multiple kids and multiple programs.
As we prepare to start the 2020-2021 school year, we are asking families who need to borrow student technology to please complete the form linked below:
Be sure to list every student for whom you need to borrow a device on this form. Once you have submitted your form, you will receive status emails including device pickup details from an @mtlsd.net email address. Please also be sure to whitelist @mtlsd.net email addresses with your email provider to ensure that you receive these communications from us.
Please direct any and all questions regarding loaned equipment to our support address: RemoteSupport@mtlsd.net
JMS PTA Information
Help JMS Earn Money While You Shop!
If you haven’t used AmazonSmile Before:
- Go to smile.amazon.com and sign in with your regular Amazon username and password.
- You will be prompted to choose a charity. You should enter "Jefferson Middle School PTA Inc” into the search box that appears. It will say "Pittsburgh, PA" as the location for the charity.
- Make sure whenever you check out, you always go to smile.amazon.com on your browser.
If you already use AmazonSmile:
- Go to smile.amazon.com and sign in with your username and password
- Make sure the charity you’ve selected is "Jefferson Middle School PTA Inc." This information is located under the search bar where it says “supporting”.
- If it isn’t, you can change it by clicking on the charity and selecting “change”
- This will bring you to a page where you can search for “Jefferson Middle School PTA Inc” and allow you to switch charities.
- Make sure whenever you check out, you always go to smile.amazon.com to checkout.
- If you shop on the Amazon app. Please activate Amazon Smile on your mobile app by opening the app and finding ’Settings’ in the main menu (☰). Tap on ‘AmazonSmile’ and follow the on-screen instructions to turn on AmazonSmile on your phone.
Clipping Box Tops is an easy way to earn money for our school. Each Box Top is worth 10 cents, so don't forget to physically and electronically clip the for us! The clipped Box Tops can be turned into the office.
See Box Tops for more information on how to scan Box Tops and to download the app. Receipts must be scanned within 14 days for the Box Tops to be scanned electronically.
Giant Eagle Support our students! Enroll your Giant Eagle Advantage Card and earn points for FREE educational rewards with every shopping trip.
Click here to register your card. Our school code is 3369. The Giant Eagle card program is also easy to use - just register your card and shop away as usual!
Office Depot/Office Max
Office Depot/Office Max has a school rewards program. When shopping, remember to ask the cashier to tag Jefferson Middle School. For online orders, enter our school ID (Thomas Jefferson Middle School ID:70088453 Pittsburgh, PA) on the Thank You Confirmation page.
Jefferson Middle School
The Jefferson Middle School learning community has an exceptional reputation for its dedicated teachers, staff and parents working together to provide learning experiences for our children that include high expectations, a challenging curriculum and a shared commitment to provide the best education possible for each and every student.