AVC Library Newsletter
The Purpose of the Media Center
Welcome to September! We made it through the first week and things are looking great! I wanted to take a minute to give you a overview of what you and your students can use the library for this year.
- Coming in as a class to check out books
- Requesting that I book talk a certain genre or topic for your classes
- Co-teaching a research lesson
- Collaborating with another class or grade level on a project
- Book clubs
- Assistance with incorporating online resources and e-books into your lessons
- Assistance with incorporating technology into your lessons.
- Requesting that certain books be pulled to have in your classroom.
- Working together to create an online bundle of kid friendly resources
Click on the box below to see the schedule.
Students will have the opportunity to participate in various incentives throughout the year!
To start with, here are some great opportunities for your kids:
- Pizza Hut's Book-It Program - More information will be delivered to teacher's boxes soon!
- Texas Bluebonnet Award Books - Students in 3rd - 5th grade who read at least 5 of this year's Bluebonnet nominees will have the opportuinty to vote for their favorite.
- Six Flags Read to Succeed - Students can fill out a reading log throughout the school year to earn a free Six Flags ticket to be used during the summer. More information coming in October.
Technology Check Out
The time has come, my friends, to check out Technology from the library!
We have 2 COW (Computers on Wheels) carts and 1 set of ipods that can be checked out through the library.
**You don't have to check out the entire cart of ipods. Please indicate the number of ipods you need in the request.
Here is the procedure:
1. In Oulook, under Public Folders you will need to check the AVC COW calendar under Technology to make sure that the devices are available for the day you are requesting.
2. Go to Eduphoria, Helpdesk (just like putting in a technology workorder)
3. Click on the option for Requesting a COW. If you want the ipods instead, please indicate that in the notes.
4. I will respond to your work order and will send you a calendar request to confirm.
5. Pick up your technology between 7:45 and 8:15 in the morning.
6. Return your technology between 2:45 and 3:15 in the afternoon with the check out form completed.
The Global Read Aloud - If you interested in connecting your students to students from all over through reading the same book from Sept 30th - Nov 8th, please let me know! Here are the books / authors that are being used for this year's Read Aloud.
Eric Carle author study
Marty Mcguire by Kate Messner
Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper
Star Wars Reads Day - Star Wars Reads Day is coming up in October. Check out the site for great activities.
Contact Mrs. Scott if you need more information about any of these events!
AR and STAR
You can put in a work order by going to:
- Help desk
- Technology Work Order
- Scroll down until you see Accelerated Reader (see screen shot below)