August 1 Update
Note From Ms. Muehling
As things continue to evolve at a federal, state, and district level, we are updating plans and working towards a strong start to our school year. Below you can find updated information about daily schedules, technology requests, New Panther Orientation, Curbside Registration, and engagement sessions with our new superintendent.
Stay healthy and well!
Peace, Love, Panthers!
Kris Muehling, Proud BW Principal
Important Fall Dates To Remember!
- New Panther/Kinder Orientation Video available
- Curbside Registration
Friday, August 7
- Virtual New Panther/Kinder Orientation Q&A, 10 am
Tuesday, August 11
- Welcome Back Teachers
Wednesday, August 12
- Virtual Class Lists Posted on Living Tree 4:00 PM
Friday, August 14
- Virtual Meet the Teacher (details coming soon)
Tuesday, August 18
- Students' First Day
BW Curbside Registration This Week!
Curbside Registration will be available this week from 9-11 and 1-3. Please be sure to stay in your car, wear a mask, and follow the health and safety protocols. Detailed information can be found in the link below.
New Panther Orientation
Welcome families! We are so excited to have you join our beautiful community and can't wait to learn and grow with you!
New Panther/Kinder Orientation Week- Aug 3-7
- Orientation Video will be available on our website, LivingTree all week
- Video will include information about our mission/values, history, traditions, programs, communication, and PTA
- We will have an additional video for ALL families to address specifics around schools reopening and remote learning during Meet the Teacher (Aug 14)
- We'll introduce you to the staff
- August 7 at 10:00 am we will have a live Q&A session on Zoom
Meeting ID: 876 9906 8069
- Submit questions prior to Q&A here: New Panther Orientation Questions
- Meetings are the first Tuesday of the month at 6:30 pm- schedule coming soon!
- Agendas posted on LT and in the front entrance of the school
- PTA minutes posted on LT, website and the front entrance of the school
How To Get Involved
What Will School Look Like?
First Three Weeks of School
- 100% Online
- Students will be assigned to a Virtual Class List
- Begin at 7:40 with Morning Announcements and a synchronous Morning Meeting
- Students will have a set schedule that will include core academics, recess, lunch, and specials
- AISD and teachers will be providing all curriculum for families/tutors (you will not need to create your own curriculum or lessons)
- Students will be able to interact with teachers and classmates multiple times a day through synchronous lessons
- Small group synchronous lessons will be important to support individual learning, provide one-on-one feedback and monitor student goals
- Students will work independently (away from a screen) on assigned asynchronous lessons
- Students will have specific lessons that need to be completed and submitted for feedback and a grade
- All lessons will be available on BLEND
- Daily structure and curriculum delivery will be very different from the emergency remote learning that occurred in the spring
- Students and families will receive ongoing feedback
- School Ends at 2:57
- 7:40 Morning Announcements (asynchronous)
- 7:45-8:15 Classroom Morning Meeting (synchronous)
- Special Areas-45 minutes per class (3 days of week Synchronous, 2 days a week asynchronous)
- Kinder- minimum of 60 minutes synchronous/core subjects
- 1st-5th- minimum of 90 minutes synchronous/core subjects
- Each class will have various small group synchronous times to provide individualized supports
- Recess 30 minutes per class
- Lunch 30 minutes per class
- Office Hours 60 minutes per day
Learning Platform and Tools
- All students will access the AISD Portal daily
- All students will access BLEND (Canvas) for schedules, assignments, synchronous/asynchronous learning, links to additional resources through the AISD Portal
- All teachers will be using a common BLEND Course Template for consistency across grade levels
- BLEND will be easier to navigate than in the spring (more organized and fewer clicks)
- BLEND support/preview will be available the week of Aug10-15 from the Parent Engagement Support Office (I'll send out more information when it's received)
- K-2 will have SeeSaw embedded to support primary student learning and feedback
Technology and Device Requests
Bring Your Own Device: Due to worldwide shortages, Austin ISD is seeing some delays in receiving Chromebooks and iPads for students. Families who would like to return their Austin ISD Chromebook or iPad and use a personal device instead can do so at our Computer Curbside locations. Doing so is entirely optional, but could help a fellow Austin ISD family that needs immediate access to technology. Please check this flyer for Computer Curbside dates, times and locations: bit.ly/aisdcomputercurbside.
Technology Requests - Parent Cloud: Families can now begin requesting technology needs using a new form in the Parent Cloud. After logging in to my.austinisd.org, search for “Technology Distribution,” and the link for the form will appear. My.austinisd.org also has a link and instructions in both English and Spanish for creating a Parent Cloud account.
Technology Requests - Paper Forms: Families can request technology using paper forms in person on almost all Austin ISD campuses on Aug. 3-6, from 9-11 a.m. and 1-3 p.m., during curbside registration. Families will not receive a WiFi hotspot that day if it is your first time requesting one.
K-2 iPad Apps
For any student using an AISD iPad, there will be specific apps installed prior to delivery. If you are using your personal iPad and would like to install these apps, please refer to the AISD K-2 iPad App List
Technology Requests - By Phone: Families can also request technology by calling their school or the Parent Support Line at 512-414-9187.
Class Lists/Family Requests
- Every student will be assigned to a homeroom virtual teacher
- Students may have opportunities to learn from various campus teachers through synchronous or asynchronous lessons
- We recognize the stresses that families are under with remote learning and child care, however, we cannot commit to any request for specific teachers or grouping of students due to the many factors that drive student placement: special education, ESL, 504, GT services, social, emotional and academic needs, class size, new/transfer students, and the numerous family requests/learning pods
- Class Lists will be posted on LivingTree on Aug 12 at 4:00 pm
New Family Pulse Survey
- AISD sent out a new Pulse Family Pulse Survey last week
- Please be sure to complete this as it helps with scheduling, staffing, and health and safety preparations
Engagement Opportunity with Dr. Elizalde: New Superintendent
Last week, the Austin ISD Board of Trustees named Stephanie Elizalde the lone finalist for Superintendent of AISD. We are excited for the Austin community to get to know Dr. Elizalde and learn about her vision for our district. Next week the district will provide a variety of opportunities for Dr. Elizalde to share more about herself and hear from our Austin community.
The first opportunity will be a conversation between Dr. Elizalde and AISD Board of Trustees President Geronimo Rodriguez hosted live on AISD.TV and Facebook. This conversation will center around some of the community driven questions that were part of the Superintendent interview process.
Tuesday, Aug. 4
5:30 p.m. English; 6:30 p.m. Spanish
The next opportunities will be a series of virtual meet and greets broadcast live on AISD.TV and Facebook. The conversations will focus on the themes listed below and Dr. Elizalde will address questions submitted by the community during the meeting.
Wednesday, Aug. 5
12 p.m. Spanish; 1:30 p.m English.
Leadership, Culture and Equity
Thursday, Aug. 6
6 p.m. Spanish; 7:30 p.m. English.
We are delighted to offer these opportunities for the Austin community to connect with Dr. Elizalde and look forward to beginning this new chapter of AISD, together.
Have a question? Use Let's Talk! to get the answers you need. Families may call the Family Support line at 512-414-9187. You can also send a Let's Talk! text to (512) 886-6434. Support is available weekdays from 7 a.m.–5 p.m.