By: Thomas Fightmaster
National March on Washington for LGBT Rights - April 25th, 1993
Famous Quote from Pink herself!
Most common symbol to represent equality for the LGBT community.
The Effects of Bullying and Mistreatment
- Each episode of LGBT victimization, such as physical or verbal harassment or abuse, increases the likelihood of self-harming behavior by 2.5 times on average.
- LGBT youth are 4 times more likely, and questioning youth are 3 times more likely, to attempt suicide as their straight peers.
- 64% of LGBT youth feel unsafe at school or at home.
- 82% of the LGBT community faced extreme bullying within the past year.
Not Just The U.S.A
20 countries have released the ban, others are expected to come as the issue spreads to other parts of the world.
At this time in the United States, 36 states have allowed for gays to marry. 14 states have declared the matter "unconstitutional" (Ohio being one of them). The supreme court will take up the issue in the spring of 2015.
Groups for Change
All of which fight to gain equality for marriage rights, job opportunities, housing and much more.
With The Ban in Place...
- Thousands of couples are denied the chance to marry their true love
- Property/belongings cannot be claimed by spouse
- Adoption is not an option for LGBT couples
- Hospital visits can be rejected - Not "true" family
- Homosexuality is found in over 450 species - Ranging from Cats, Chickens, Mice, and Spiders!
- The first gay couple was reported in 2400 B.C in Eygpt.
- In Samoa, it is acceptable for a family with many sons to treat one like a daughter instead.