West Pine Middle
Ignite! Engage! Grow!
A Note From Mrs. Wiley
I look forward to seeing all our students back on campus for another week of learning. The late work window is only to be used in the event something is missing or a student needs the additional time. Students should use time wisely in class and check PowerSchool to ensure all work is current.
The transfer request window is currently open through the end of February. All families requesting a transfer must do so each school year. Capped schools are those that are at or over 95% of capacity and are unable to accept new transfers or discretionary admissions. Capped/Closed Schools for 2023-2024 are West End Elementary, West Pine Middle, Pinecrest High, and Union Pines High.
We have home soccer and volleyball games Monday and Wednesday this week. The teams travel to East Lee Thursday. Students staying for the games must have rides at school no later than 5:15pm.
This week is LOVE THE BUS week, and I thank all of our bus drivers for showing up and getting our students to and from school safely.
As always, it's a great day to be a Wildcat.
Valentine's Day Reminders
- Balloons, flower arrangements, and other large items are not permitted on school buses. If your child happens to get one or more of these and rides a bus, he/she will need to call for someone or leave the items at school until someone can come by and pick them up.
- We ask that deliveries not be made during the school day. Instead, surprise your child when he/she gets home after a long day of school!
- Any items that are delivered to school will be held in the front office and given to the student at the end of the school day.
Attention 6th Grade Parents
Per North Carolina law, all students are required to show documentation of both the Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis) and MCV (meningococcal conjugate) vaccines in order to enter 7th grade. Now is the time to schedule an appointment with your health provider to receive these important immunizations. Please remember to send a copy of the immunization record to the school. Any questions/concerns, feel free to contact the school nurse.
Club and Academic Team Updates
- Tuesday: NCDOT Bridge Team, Quiz Bowl, Chess Club, and Musical Theater
- Wednesday: Robotics and Quiz Bowl
- Thursday: NCDOT Bridge Team, BOB, and Military Club
- Friday: FCA
Girls Volleyball & Boys Soccer Schedule: Week of 2/13
- Monday: Home vs CCMS
- Wednesday: Home vs West Lee
- Thursday: Away vs East Lee
All games start at 4:00pm. Students staying for home games must be picked up in front of the school by 5:15pm. Concessions will be available at both indoor and outdoor locations.
Baseball & Girls Soccer Signups:
School fees must be paid below $50, a current BigTeams account must be made and all documentation up to date. Academics and attendance will be reviewed.
- March 2: Interim Reports
- March 2: Mitch Capel Performance for 6th Grade
- March 3: Teacher Workday
- March 22: NC Check-Ins #2 - 6th & 7th RDG; 8th Math & Math 1
- March 23: NC Check-Ins #2 - 6th & 7th Math; 8th RDG
- March 24: Early Release Day, 12pm
- March 24: Seussical, Jr at Moore Montessori School, 7pm
- March 25: Seussical, Jr at Moore Montessori School, 2pm
- March 31: End of Quarter 3
- April 3-7: Spring Break
- April 14: Report Cards
- May 8: Interim Reports
- May 9: Spring Band Concert, 6:30pm
- May 10: Spring Orchestra Concert, 6:30pm
- May 11: Spring Choral Concert, 6:30pm
- May 26: 8th Grade EOG SCIENCE
- May 29: Memorial Day Holiday
- May 31: 6th & 7th grade EOG MATH; 8th grade EOG READING
- June 2: 6th & 7th grade EOG READING; 8th grade EOG MATH; MATH 1 EOC
- June 9: 8th Grade Promotion Celebration, 9am, baseball field
- June 9: Last Day of School/Early Release, 12pm
Please note: There will be no early checkouts during EOG/EOC TESTING until all testing is completed in the building.
Please acknowledge the MCS Student Code of Conduct in Parent Portal.
Instructional (including the encore fees) and technology fees can be paid online, or students can bring in cash or check. Contact Ms. Mullen, our bookkeeper, if you have any questions.
Dogs are not allowed on campus. If your dog is in your car during our morning and/or afternoon carline, we ask that you ensure your dog is restrained when your child exits or enters the car.
Don't forget to review the dress code with your child. In particular, students must wear clothing that covers their skin from chest to mid thigh with opaque (non-see-through) fabric in front, back, and on the sides. Clothing must cover undergarments, and breasts, genitals and buttocks must be covered with opaque (non see-through) fabric. For more information, visit the MCS Student Code of Conduct.
Bus Transportation Information: Students are not allowed to ride a bus in which they are not assigned. They can only ride their assigned bus.
- Routes: Transportation can be viewed on Parent Portal (web browser only, NOT the app). Here you can verify your child's transportation information.
- Communication: Please continue to contact the call center (910-947-5861) for any concerns or questions about your student's route.
The MCS middle school final grades are calculated as follows:
- For a single semester course, a student’s final grade shall be determined based on the final exam 15% of the final grade) and the grade for each nine-week marking period (each marking period representing 42.5% of the final grade).
- For a year-long course, a student’s final grade shall be determined based on the final exam (15% of the final grade) and the grade for each semester (semesters are the average for two nine-week marking periods with each semester representing 42.5% of the final grade).
- Middle school students taking high school courses will be graded using the Grade 9-12 formula.
***ELA, math and science (8th) will use the EOG as the final exam. For courses without an EOG (6-8 SS, 6-7 SCI, and encore classes), the final exam will be determined and created by the teachers. World History and Math 1 follow HS guidelines. Here is the link to the grading policy for the district.
School attendance is important and in order to receive the best education, students need to be present to fully support their academic success. School administrators and teachers track student attendance in PowerSchool. Parents should monitor their child’s attendance and ensure that students do not accumulate excessive absences. Both excused and unexcused absences count towards student attendance. Failure to meet minimum attendance policies may jeopardize a student’s ability to participate in sports or promote to the next grade. Parents will be contacted by school administration or a school social worker under the following circumstances:
- The child has accumulated three (3) unexcused absences in a school year.
- After not more than six (6) unexcused absences, the principal shall notify the family by mail that they may be in violation of the Compulsory Attendance Law.
- When student absences, excused or unexcused, reach five (5) in a semester or eleven (11) in a year in grades 9-12, or fifteen (15) in a year in grades K-8, the principal will contact the family.
- Students in grades 9-12 who are absent from a class more than eight (8) days, excused or unexcused, during a semester course shall not receive credit for the semester or year.
- Students in grades K-8 who are absent more than twenty (20) days during a year shall be referred to an interdisciplinary attendance committee which shall determine if the student should be retained. Additional policies are outlined in MCS Board of Education Policies, Section 6000.
Car Line Key Points
- Doors open at 7:30am. For our students' safety, we ask that you not drop off your child prior to that time as there are no staff members on duty.
- All students are dropped off at front of school in the morning. Please do not drop off in the bus parking lot, grassy area, tennis courts, at WPES, or at a local business.
- Students who work the school store or are involved in an early morning club meeting may be dropped off in the grassy area or front driveway.
- We are getting our students in to the building on time, so that is great news! The line will remain long unless more students ride the bus or families carpool.
- Older siblings will go to the younger sibling's car line for pick-up.
- Don't forget, 7th grade is picked up on the service road behind the baseball field. Cars will enter at WPES.
- 8th grade cars may proceed to the staff parking lot for afternoon dismissal. Once that area is full, 8th grade cars must remain in the main car line with the 6th grade cars. A staff member will be outside to help direct traffic. Use your right turn signal to alert the staff member on duty that you are going to 8th grade pick-up.
- Cars are asked to pull all the way up to the first open spot. The students will walk to your car. Do not stop when you see your child. Staff will direct you to keep moving as we have MANY cars to move through the line.
- Friday car lines will be much longer due to students not having athletic practices after school. Expect longer wait times.
WPMS PTSO News
- PTSO General Business Meetings and Parent Informational Sessions. Mark your calendars and join us to learn how we all can support our students.
- Next meeting: February 16 at 3:30pm
- Our PTSO is raising money for a flag pole and flag for our ball fields. Please reach out to one of our officers (see below) if you would like to help.
Do you want to get involved but don't know where to start? Join the WPMS PTSO. For more information, reach out to one of our board members or email them at email@example.com.
- Alison McCloskey - president
- Amanda Peterson - secretary
- Meredith Morgan-Coleman - treasurer
- Karyn Schwagel - board member
Parent Advisory Representatives
Here are your parent representatives for the 2022-23 school year.
- Parent Advisory Council (PAC): Chiquita Monroe
- Military Family Advisory Council (MFAC): Alison McCloskey
- Hispanic Community Advisory Council (HCAC): Elizzeth Salgado
- African American Community Advisory Council (AACAC): Whitney Alford
- School Improvement Team (SIT): Alison McCloskey and Lynn Antil
Band, Orchestra , Choral Music/Theater, and Athletics
2022-2023 SIT Meetings
Monday, February 13, 3:30pm
Monday, March 13, 3:30pm
Monday, April 17, 3:30pm
Monday, May 8, 3:30pm
Monday, June 12, 8am
Follow Us On Social Media
- Facebook: West Pine Middle School
- Twitter: @WestPine
- Instagram: westpinemiddlemcs
- Hashtags: #thewpwildcatway #igniteengagegrow