ByL: Calsey and Salma
Characteristics and Purposes of Common Network Environments:
The WWW is a part of the internet but it is much younger. The internet is 40 years old whereas
the World Wide Web is 20 years old.
It was developed at CERN, the world famous underground physics laboratory in Switzerland. By
Tim Berners-Lee in 1990
The Intranet is an internal website that is setup internally for companies and can be accessed by
employees for the purpose of standard documents or information and many items of information and
Problems with with ICT networks:
- Hackers can get in
- Tasks become VERY difficult when/if the network breaks
- Viruses can get into you computer easily
Some drawbacks to a computer connecting to the internet are:
- Personal information can be revealed
- You have to be careful to avoid dangerous websites containing malware.
- THE INTERNET ISN'T 100% RELIABLE!!!
What is Encryption?
Encryption is when data is scrambled in a way that only someone with a code or key can read it.
Encryption is the process of converting information into a form that is meaningless to anyone except
holders of a ‘key’
A person who gains unauthorized access to a computer system is often called a hacker.
Ways to prevent Hackers accusing your computer?
- Make sure that a hacker cannot physically access any computer on your network (For example, make sure all office doors are locked)
- The most common way to protect your computer’s data is by having user names and passwords
- Some places have ID cards and Fingerprints reader or voice recognition systems.
A firewall is a software or device that’s between your computer/network/ WAN(where the hacker is)
Often we have data that is private or confidential. This data needs to be protected from being viewed
by unauthorized people. This is especially true if the data is to be sent via a public network such as The
Encryption has been used for centuries to protect secrets.
Military leaders as far back as roman times have used encryption to protect important messages sent to
their armies, messages that must be kept secret from the enemy.
If the messenger was caught by the enemy, the message, being encrypted, remained secret because they didn't know the code to decrypt it.
ICT applications and impact:
MEASUREMENT APPLICATIONS: Sensors measure different things, like temperature. These sensors can be attached to computers and they can measure and record all the data collected for you. These are used for scientific experiments, weather stations, environmental monitoring and so on. It is, yet again, is easier and more organized to use.
CONTROL APPLICATIONS: Computer control means that a computer is part of a system. The computer is normally used to run the control program.A sensor is a device designed to measure some physical quantity in its environment. Like above.A normal PC has no way of affecting what is happening around it. It can’t turn on the lights, or make the room hotter. How do we change what is happening around us? We use our muscles to move things, press things, lift things, etc. (and we can also make sound using our voice).
A normal PC has no muscles, but we can give it some. In fact we can give it the ability to do lots of things by connecting a range of actuators to it…An actuator is a device, controlled by a computer, that can affect the real-world.Examples of actuators, and what they can do are...
- Actuator Light bulb or LED- Creates light
- Heater- Increases temperature
- Cooling Unit- Decreases temperature
- Motor- Spins things around
- Pump- Pushes water / air through pipes
- Buzzer / Bell / Siren- Creates noise
Many of the devices that we use in our everyday lives are controlled by small computers...
- Washing machines
- Air-conditioning systems
- Programmable microwave ovens
If we look beyond our homes, we come across even more systems that operate automatically under the control of a computer...
- Modern cars have engines, brakes, etc. that are managed and controlled by a computer
- Most factory production lines are computer-controlled, manufacturing products with little or no human input
- Traffic lights are switched on and off according to programs running on computers which manage traffic flow through cities
Of course, car engines, factories and traffic lights were not always computer-controlled. Before microprocessors even existed, car engines ran, factories produced goods and traffic lights changed.
MODELLING APPLICATIONS: Computer modelling systems are used for many things (cars, buildings and animations) by MANY people all over the world with different professionalism They are used to test a design for something to see if it will work, to predict what will happen if it doesn't work and train people to use that thing so they can't destroy it when it comes to actually using it.
John Leonard (2011). The IGCSE ICT Site. Retrieved March 2013, from http://www.igcseict.net/
Smore (n.d.). Smore - Design beautiful online flyers and publish instantly. Smore. Retrieved February 2013, from http://www.smore.com
Steve Copley (n.d.). IGCSE ICT - Home. IGCSE ICT. Retrieved February 2013, from http://www.igcseict.info/