Dolphin Dispatch August 2023
Dauphin Island Elementary
Message From the Principal
"DAUPHIN ISLAND ELEMENTARY SCHOOL IS SIMPLY THE BEST".
Important Dates to Remember
- August 7 - 1st Day of School (1st Quarter Begins)
- September 4 - Labor Day Holiday - No School
- September 11 - Teacher Work Day (No School for Students)
- October 6 - 1st Quarter Ends
- October 9 - Teacher Work Day (No School for Students)
- October 10 -2nd Quarter Begins
- October 13 - Fall and Class Pictures (All students must wear a royal blue polo shirt with uniform bottoms for pictures)
2023-2024 School Calendar
HOURS OF OPERATIONS
•Building Opens for Students
•Students May Enter Classrooms
•Arriving to the classroom after 8:05 a.m. will be coded as a tardy.
·Dismissal for Bike Riders and Walkers
·Dismissal for Car Riders
Students with an early dismissal prior to 11:30 a.m. will be considered absent for the school day. Parents report to the office to request a student’s early dismissal. You must have a photo ID when checking out a student. (Early dismissals and tardies interrupt the instructional day and may keep the student from attaining perfect attendance.)
If a student becomes ill during the day, every effort will be made to contact the parent/guardian. Please keep all contact phone numbers current and up to date and notify the office of any changes.
MCPSS Attendance Policy
STUDENT ATTENDANCE POLICY Grades K – 12
The following information is provided to you regarding the Mobile County Public School System’s Attendance Policy: EVERY ABSENCE MUST HAVE AN EXCUSE!
Suspensions are unexcused absences.
· No more than eight (8) days excused by parent notes per year.
· Doctor’s notes.
· Head Lice: Only 3 days are excused. After the 3rd day, absences will be UNEXCUSED.
· ALL EXCUSES MUST BE BROUGHT TO SCHOOL WITHIN THREE (3) DAYS OF THE STUDENT’S RETURN TO SCHOOL. After the 3rd day, the absence is unexcused, regardless of the reason for the absence.
Unexcused absences are NOT acceptable!
If your child has:
· 1 Unexcused absence – Parent/Guardian will receive a phone call or email from the school.
· 2 Unexcused absences – Parent/Guardian will receive a phone call or email from the attendance officer.
· 3 Unexcused absences – Parent/Guardian will receive a phone call or email from the District Attorney’s Office stating that this is the last warning before the legal system becomes involved.
· 5 Unexcused absences – Parent/Guardian will receive a letter stating that attendance is mandatory at the Early Warning Truancy Program.
· 7 Unexcused absences – A court petition can be filed on the parent and student.
· 10 Unexcused absences – A referral to the Gulf Coast Family Center (participation is mandatory)
· 15 Unexcused absences – The student’s diver permit or driver’s license can be suspended Early Warning Truancy Program:
· Parent/Guardian’s attendance is mandatory.
· If the parent/guardian does not attend the Early Warning Truancy Program or the unexcused absences continue, a legal notice/petition to Juvenile Court will be processed.
· School staff will continue to monitor the student’s attendance.
It is the goal of Dauphin Island Elementary to produce highly motivated and well-rounded students. In order to achieve this goal, we must create an environment that is safe and conducive to learning. Our school wide discipline plan will reward students for following rules and procedures. The plan provides consistent consequences for students in need of redirection. We will follow the progressive discipline policies outlined in the MCPSS Student Code of Conduct. An orderly environment is the basis for an effective instructional program. Policies and procedures of discipline are implemented to establish respect and to maintain favorable learning conditions free from distractions and misbehavior. The focus of Dauphin Island’s discipline policy is for each student to be responsible for his/her own actions.
Daily Meal Information
All students receive a free breakfast and lunch each day. Breakfast and lunch is delivered to Dauphin Island Elementary each day. A monthly calendar menu is published on the MCPSS website. Parents can also choose to send a lunch with his/her child.
Breakfast is served each day beginning at 7:30 a.m. Students must enter the cafeteria before 8:00 a.m. to be served breakfast.
SPECIAL DIETARY INFORNATION
If your child has any special dietary restrictions or food allergies, please notify the office and your child's teacher.
Students will have a break time each day. They may bring a healthy snack from home or purchase ice cream from school. Please do not send candy or carbonated drinks for snack or lunch. Please send correct change if possible.
$1.25 – Ice Cream
Special treats may be sent with your child to be shared with his/her classmates. If a parent chooses to bring a special treat to the school, the treat must be left in the front office. The office staff will deliver the items to the classroom. Please do not bring balloons.
Medications and Chronic Ailment Information
Medications may only be administered in the office. All medications must be brought to the office by the parent in the original prescription bottle/container from the pharmacy. Please do not send medications to the school by your child. The child’s name must be on the prescription, along with the dosage amount, and time to be administered. The Medications Consent Form and Directions Form (available in the office) with the Doctor’s Signature must be on file before we can administer any medications at school. The same rules apply to over-the-counter medications, such as Tylenol, Advil, etc.
If your child has a chronic ailment, please submit the chronic ailment forms to the school each school year. The forms can be found on the MCPSS website or in school office.
Each child should bring home a folder every Monday. This will include important information for the week and dates for upcoming events. We want you to be as informed as possible.
Mobile County Public School System allows the School or Central Office to call and email every family with important information or reminders. PLEASE ACCEPT THESE CALLS AND LISTEN TO THE IMPORTANT MESSAGE. Information is also posted on the Dauphin Island ES Facebook page and Dauphin Island Elementary Webpage.
Please make sure all contact information is current. Should your information change during the school year, please advise the office immediately. In the event of emergencies or special problems, it is important for us to know how to contact you.
Your child’s safety is a top priority at Dauphin Island Elementary. All visitors MUST report to the front office upon arrival. Visitors are not allowed to visit the classrooms or cafeteria unless approved by the administration. We must work together to protect the safety of our students, faculty and staff.