By: Miranda Blankenship
What do the do? (Description)
- Phlebotomists take blood and collect samples for medical laboratories.
- Phlebotomists use specialized medical equipment to study the samples they collect and look at the cell count, blood type compatibility, and log the information they take into medical records.
- Phlebotomists work on referral from physicians, and will report findings back to them.
- The American Society for Clinical Pathology said phlebotomists made a median hourly wage between $13.00 and $20.16. The pay depends on where the phlebotomist is working.
Jobs near you:
There’s quite a distance between wondering and knowing. And for patients waiting for answers to important health questions, it’s a road they want to travel as quickly as possible.
At Quest Diagnostics Incorporated, we understand urgency. But more than speed, we focus our energies on accuracy. Currently, we seek a Part-time Rep, Phlebotomy Svcs I located in Shelby, NC.
Schedule:Monday - Thursday, 7:30am - 12:30pm
Part-time, 20 hours weekly
Minimum Rate: 12.20+/hr
*Salary dependent upon experience*
REQ # 3734334
Phlebotomy Services Representatives, under the direction of the area supervisor, performs daily phlebotomy activities of the Patient Service Center (PSC)/Mobile/In-office Phlebotomy (IOP) accurately and on time. Maintain a safe and professional environment. Performs with confidence, both the forensic and clinical specimen collection and processing duties following established practices and procedures. Maintains required records and documentation. Demonstrates organizational commitment and promotes a positive image to patients, clients, employees and the public in general.
1. Greet customers appropriately. Treat all customers in a courteous manner.
2. Ensures all field phlebotomy and specimens are collected accurately and on time.
a. Collects specimens according to established procedures.
b. Responsible for completing requisitions accurately.
c. Calls clients to confirm handwritten orders, verify test(s) ordered, obtain accurate billing information, i.e. Diagnosis codes, UPIN information, etc.
d. Researches test/client information utilizing lab computer system or Directory of Service.
e. Labels, centrifuge, split, and freeze specimens as required by test order.
f. Packages specimens for transport.
3. Maintains required records and documentation.
a. Reads, understands and complies with departmental policies, protocols and procedures: (i.e. Procedure Manuals, Safety Manual, Compliance Manual, Automobile policies and procedures, Employee Handbook, Quality Assurance Manual).
b. Maintains all appropriate PSC/Phlebotomy logs.
c. Assists with compilation of monthly statistics and data. Submits data on time monthly.
d. Performs basic clerical duties, i.e. filing, faxing, preparing mail. Will be required to perform electronic data entry.
e. Submits accurate time and travel logs as directed by management and on time.
4. Demonstrates organizational commitment.
a. Adheres to departmental and company code of grooming and dress code and lab coat policies, appearing neat and clean at all times.
b. Reports on time to work, following attendance guidelines.
c. Answers the telephone in a friendly and helpful manner, by incorporating the company name, self-identification and a helpful statement
d. Communicates appropriately with clients, patients, coworkers and the general public.
e. Communicates all unresolved problems immediately to the appropriate Manager, Supervisor, Group Leader or Phlebotomy Services Rep. II for resolution. Remains polite and courteous at all times.
5. Miscellaneous duties and responsibilities.
a. Keeps work area neat and clean. Disposes of biohazard containers when scheduled.
b. Help with inventories and other tasks as assigned.
c. Stocks supplies as needed. d Performs other department-related clerical duties when assigned.
e. Answers phone and dispatch calls when assigned.
f. Participates on teams and special projects when asked.
g. All other duties as assigned, within scope of position.
-High school diploma or equivalent required. Medical training helpful (medical assistant, paramedic). Medical terminology helpful. Phlebotomy certification preferred.
-1 year Phlebotomy experience- pediatric and geriatric capillary and venipuncture.
-Customer service in a service environment preferred.
1. Must be flexible and available based on staffing requirements; weekends, holidays, on call and overtime.
2. Excellent phlebotomy skills to include pediatric and geriatric.
3. Demonstrates good organization, communication, and interpersonal skills, is able to manage concerns of patients and employees in a professional manner.
4. Capable of handling multiple priorities in a high volume setting.
How To Apply
After clicking the button at the top or bottom of the page to Submit, applicants will answer a series of questions and upload or enter resume information. After submitting for this job opening, watch your email inbox (and spam filter). Applicants are sent an email inviting them to complete a required online interactive evaluation, to demonstrate knowledge and abilities, and allow Quest Diagnostics to learn more about them.
Quest Diagnostics has many career opportunities for individuals whose talent, initiative and dedication will complement our belief that the patient comes first and that values do matter. We work to earn our customers’ trust every day by providing the highest quality diagnostic information services in a professional, accessible and informative way. Our workforce is diverse and talented and believes in our vision: "Empowering Better Health with Diagnostic Insights."
[All requirements are subject to possible modifications to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.]
Quest Diagnostics is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Women / Minorities / Veterans / Disabled.