I hope you are all settling into your "new normal" and finding ways to make things work for you and your family as we navigate through this School Closure time. I want to thank you as parents for all you are doing these days.
I have heard many positive remarks from families over the past few weeks, especially praising the teachers at Elmdale during this time. This is something I would like to echo - a huge thank you to our wonderful teachers who are working extremely hard to make sure every student has meaningful learning experiences available to them at home. It's been a challenge trying to balance enough work with too much or too little as every child learns differently, but I know that using SeeSaw, email, Google Meet and other technology has helped them to do their best at that. So a huge thank you to the Elmdale Teachers!
As we look to the next couple of months and planning for the fall, there are so many unknowns. Some are waiting for direction from the province, others from the school division, yet others need to wait until we know how successful the next stages of reducing restrictions are. Some things on our minds:
- Kindergarten Welcome events
- Grade 5 transition
- Grade 4 farewell
- Planning for the 2020-2021 school year
This is just a brief list. Just know that these things are on our minds and we're trying to navigate them the best that we can. In the meantime we wish you all the best as you continue your learning from home. We miss you all and hope to see you soon!
Mr. Vince Hiebert
Principal: Elmdale School
Families are assigned times to pick up their packages as follows:
- Last name A-E - 9:30-10:30
- Last name F-J - 10:30-11:30
- Last name K-O - 11:30-12:30
- Last name P-T - 12:30-1:30
- Last name U-Z - 1:30-2:30
- If you can't make your scheduled time, the overflow time will be 2:30-3:30 for any remaining packages
A Note From the Library
- Please return library books on Monday. There will be return bins available at the entrance. If you have any questions about your child's library books, please email Mrs. Penner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NEW Signouts - we will be allowing students to sign out books! If you are interested in signing out books, parents can email Mrs. Penner in the library at email@example.com with a list of books they would be interested in signing out by Friday at 2:00pm. Students can also list books they have enjoyed reading and ask for "something similar". Books will be placed with your packages to be picked up on Monday.
- If you would like to sign out books throughout the month of May, arrangements may be made with Mrs. Penner. Please email her at firstname.lastname@example.org
Online Registration for Kindergarten
We are still accepting Kindergarten Registrations for the 2020-21 school year. To be eligible, children must be five years of age on or before December 31, 2020. The registration process will take place online at www.HSD.ca. If you do not have access to the Internet, please phone the school office for assistance.
Grade 4 Farewell
Class Lists for 2020-2021
We will soon be starting the process of creating class lists for the 2020-2021 school year. This is a very involved process and requires us to work closely as a school team to create class lists that are balanced and equitable for all. We take this process very seriously as we try very hard to create a positive learning environment for students.
We consider a variety of criteria when creating class lists, including:
- Achievement (balanced class composition)
- Social and behavioural considerations
- Male/Female ratio
- Group dynamics
- Learning styles
- Parent input
Parental requests are something we consider in this process, but we cannot guarantee that we can honour each request. We look closely at the merits of each request and balance that with all of the other considerations.
If a parent would like to make a specific request for a friend or teacher placement, these should be based on academic and learning needs, and be submitted in writing to Mr. Hiebert (email@example.com) by May 15, 2020. All requests submitted by that date will be considered, however we cannot guarantee that all requests will be honoured. Late requests will not be considered.
Given appropriate support at home and at school, it has been our experience that the vast majority of placements are successful. Where a placement is proving to be difficult, we ask that parents and students give it the time required for friendships and classroom community building to develop.
Thank you for your continued support and commitment to your child's education.
Mr. V. Hiebert
Principal, Elmdale School
Elmdale Teachers for 2020-2021
Learning Support - Rose Friesen
School Counsellor - Tara Klassen
Literacy Support - Pamela Reimer
Phys Ed - Kelly Tufford
Music - Louise Redekop