A recap of the Board meeting held July 7, 2021
The Reading Community City School District Board of Education held a regularly scheduled work session on Wednesday, July 7, 2021. The district has returned to in-person Board meetings in the Media Center at 810 East Columbia. Meetings are streamed and archived here.
Wednesday, July 21, 5:30 pm
Board Meeting - RCCSD Media Center
Tuesday, August 3, 12:00 pm
Community Chat - Creamy Whip
Wednesday, August 4, 5:30 pm
Board Work Session - RCCSD Media Center
Wednesday, August 18
First Day of School - Reading Jr/Sr High School (grades 7-12)
Board Work Session - 5:30 pm; RCCSD Media Center
Thursday, August 19
First Day of School - Reading Elementary (grades 1-6)
Friday, August 20
First Day of School - Reading Elementary (grades PK-K)
Monday, August 23, 9:30 am
Community Chat - RCCSD Media Center
**Back to School events will be finalized and communicated prior to August 1.
Superintendent and Treasurer Update
Superintendent Jason Enix and Treasurer Colette Lewis provided a mid-summer district update.
Key highlights are below:
- Enrollment and staffing for the 2021-2022 school year is being closely monitored throughout the summer. Known vacancies have been filled at the Jr/Sr High and all current teaching vacancies have been filled at RES. Further staffing decisions will be determined as needed in the weeks leading up to the start of the school year.
- The Summer Jump Start program for grades K-8 is set to begin on July 19th. Those registered will receive first-day information during the week of July 12th. Classes will be from 8:30-11:30
- Construction and facility updates at all three properties:
- K-12 Campus: Ongoing punch list items and final projects are either underway, completed, or scheduled for later this summer. Summer cleaning and hallway painting projects have been priorities thus far this summer.
- Hilltop: Underground work has been nearly completed, field grading and cuts have happened, and structural work is underway. Project work is on schedule thus far.
- Central: Final estimated start-up and ongoing costs associated with the property have been provided for Board consideration. The Buildings and Grounds Committee will be meeting in September to continue discussion of the future of the site.
- Summer technology work has been ongoing with student devices and network maintenance to prepare for the school year. Chromebooks for each student in grades K-5 are ready to be housed in the building and 6-12 students will be responsible for transporting devices to and from school each day.
- Health orders from ODH expired in June and no further orders have been issued regarding Covid-19 to date. RCCSD is planning a full in-person return for 2021-2022 with masks optional per CDC recommendations.
- Traffic patterns for arrival and dismissal will remain the same for the upcoming school year, as will the school days. The Jr/Sr High is 7:20-2:10 and RES is 8:10-2:30. Doors will open at 7:05 and 7:55 respectively. Further details, maps, and directions for traffic patterns will be communicated in August.
- The state budget bill has been signed by Governor DeWine and impacts to RCCSD funding are being studied, with projections showing very modest increases that would slightly improve our 5-year forecast.
The full presentation may be viewed here.
Safe Routes To School
RCCSD has been awarded a $9,000 grant from the Ohio Department of Transportation to support safety, wellness, and education. This is the culmination of collaborative work between RCCSD, the City of Reading, and Hamilton County during the past three years and will be an initiative within the district in 2021-2022.
Reminder: Kindergarten Registration
A reminder that if your child will be five years old by September 30, 2021, they are eligible for Kindergarten this fall. There are several steps to register, but you can begin the process here. Please be sure to complete every step of the process so we can continue our planning for the start of the school year.