The Dolphin Echo
Families: October 16, 2020
A Message from Principal Cooper
I have a lot of important information in this Dolphin Echo. Much of what is in this newsletter is happening next week!
Thank you for taking the time to read it. If you need support with anything in this newsletter or you need help, please call our Main Office.
You also always email me: email@example.com
Bring PE to Your Family Week Event: Wednesday, October 21st
I am excited to share with you that our school will be participating in Bring PE to Your Family Week on Wednesday, October 21st. Daily physical activity has many benefits for kids, such as increasing their energy, focus, and readiness to learn and reducing stress and anxiety. Being active is always important, but never more than during COVID-19. Of course, physical activity has benefits for people of all ages, so helping our students’ families be active together is one of our physical education goals. As you may remember, our school conducted Take Your Parent to PE Week last year, and we all had fun. Due to the current pandemic, this year’s event is designed to be enjoyed at home. I hope that your family will participate together in one or more of your child’s physical education lessons during Bring PE to Your Family Week. It will give you a better understanding of the teaching and learning that takes place in physical education, and you will experience firsthand the fun and engaging activities that are helping to keep your kid(s) healthy and active. We will be participating on Wednesday, October 21st.
Back to School Night: Oct. 22
Our Back to School Night event has been rescheduled to next Thursday, October 22nd at 6PM.
The event will be through a Zoom Webinar.
Here is our Back to School Night Event Schedule
- 6:00PM Principal Message & Back to School Night Presentation LIVE (panelists will include the principal, our attendance technician, our family engagement facilitator, our student engagement facilitator, our teacher-on special assignment, the school counselor, and school-based therapist. You will have the chance to see each of these people and hear about the services they provide for our students as well as how to contact them in the future.
- Our Annual Title I Presentation will take place at the end of this presentation - All families are invited, and I welcome input from our families.
- All Teacher Back to School Night information will be shared at the end. It will be self-paced. Families will be able to view it at their own convenience. This information and a recording of the event, will also be uploaded to our school website for later reference.
**Zoom Webinar information will be shared on Thursday, October 22nd prior to the event in Parent Square.
Drive-Thru Halloween at Howarth: Oct. 24th
Drive-Thru Halloween at Howarth (All ages welcome; only registered children ages 2-12 will receive a treat bag and each child must be registered separately)
DATE: Saturday, October 24th
TIME: 1 p.m. - 4 p.m.
LOCATION: Howarth Park Upper Parking Lot (630 Summerfield Rd, Santa Rosa)
FEE: Free (must pre-register for 30-minute time slot)
ABOUT: A safe, socially distanced drive-thru Halloween activity where families will get to enjoy some spooky fun Halloween scenes, participate in a scavenger hunt, and receive a treat bag, all while in your car!
REGISTER: REGISTER ONLINE or call 707-543-3737
Drive-Thru Trick-or-Treat Event at HLES: Friday, October 30th
Virtual Fall-Themed Literacy Night: Friday, October 30th
Book Fair: Oct. 26-Nov. 8
SAVE THE DATE!
We’re having a Fall Book Fair! And it will be all online.
You’re invited to shop our Scholastic Book Fair online from Monday, October 26th through Sunday, November 8th! All purchases benefit our school and connect kids with new books, favorite characters, complete series, and more!
Enjoy these special online shopping features:
Shop for Book Fair exclusives directly from the interactive booklist
Over 6,000 items, including new releases, best sellers, and value packs
All orders ship direct to home
FREE shipping on book-only orders over $25*
Watch for more information coming home soon, including links to the online fair.
MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS FOR 5TH & 6TH
Families with 5th and 6th graders
- We are going to start handing out instruments to 5th and/or 6th graders in the coming weeks. Please fill out this form so we know which instruments your families want to borrow: https://forms.gle/cPD4XVoPWvDExDY49
- Watch this video to learn how to add subtitles in spanish to YouTube Videos: https://youtu.be/0h51-GPtZKw
- We are planning to start passing out instruments to students participating in our Music Classes this year. For more information, please watch this short video: https://youtu.be/7iDgaE-Nsxo
- Slides from the Video: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1kejDyjj3f2iNFFop1x6wXa919js5V4Uxhilc4hWCH8I/edit?usp=sharing
Mr. Hodson, our Music Teacher, is ready to start loaning out musical instruments to 5th & 6th graders only. Click here to access the form which must be filled out by families before an instrument can be taken home.
Once you have filled out the online form, then it means you're ready for pickup on Tuesday, October 27th from1:00-3:00 PM.
SCHOOL CAMPUS SAFETY
As we welcome families/students to campus for our various material distribution, we'd like to remind you of a few health and safety protocols.
1. Please stay home if you or your student:
- exhibit COVID-19 symptoms (i.e. fever of 100.4°F or higher, cough, shortness of breath, the new loss of taste or smell, etc.)
- tested positive for COVID-19, and are within the 10-day isolation period
- have had close contact (longer than 15 minutes) with a person who has tested positive for COVID-19 within the past 14 days
- live or cohabitate with a person who exhibits COVID-19 symptoms or has tested positive for COVID-19
- traveled outside of the state (specifically to high-risk areas) within the past 14 days
2. While on campus, please respect social distancing of 6 feet and wear a mask at all times. We recommend sanitizing your hands prior to and after the event.
Password Hotline: 707-890-3777 If a District Chromebook is not working submit a help ticket through this link or call 707-890-3848
SCHOOL MEAL INFORMATION FOR 2020-21
Grab-and-Go Meal Bags are distributed from 11:00am - 1:00pm
5 breakfasts/5 lunches
For enrolled students
Pickup once a week
Pick up meals at any location
Elsie Allen High (599 Bellevue Ave)
Piner High (1700 Fulton Rd)
Monroe Elementary (2567 Marlow Rd)
Lincoln Elementary (850 W 9th St)
Lewis Ed Center (2230 Lomitas Ave)
Brook Hill Elementary (1850 Vallejo St)
Cook Middle (2480 Sebastopol Rd)
Barcodes speed up meal service like a library card!
Letters and emails with a unique barcode will be sent out for each enrolled student.
Bring your barcode letter or email for each enrolled student
Scan each barcode
Take your meals home!
If a student does not have a barcode, CNS staff will work with the household at the meal distribution site to serve the enrolled students.
***Additional Information on Redwood Empire Food Bank Groceries***Get the latest updates about where to get food from Redwood Empire Food Bank at https://getfood.refb.org/
Helpful Links and Videos
Videos to Help with Distance Learning
- Seesaw Log In - Sign in with Google / Balancín Iniciar sesión - Iniciar sesión con Google
- Activate the Camera in Seesaw / Activar la cámara en balancín
- Switching Between Classes on Seesaw / Cambiar entre clases en balancín
- Technology Support from District Staff / Apoyo tecnológico del personal del distrito
Resources for Families
- Integrated Wellness Center - Mental health support from Santa Rosa City Schools / Apoyo de salud mental de las escuelas de la ciudad de Santa Rosa
- SRCS Request for Therapy Support / Solicitud de SRCS de apoyo terapéutico
- Family Resources from A Healthier Generation / Recursos familiares de una generación más saludable