Field Trip to the Apple Store
Wednesday, Feb. 17th, 7:30-10:30pm
Apple Store, Frisco, TX, United States
On February 17, we will be traveling to Frisco's Stonebriar Mall and learning about digital storytelling using iPads before the store opens to the public at 10:00 am. Because this opportunity occurs before the store opens, we will be LEAVING SCHOOL EARLY at 7:30 am. Please be sure to send back the gold permission slip (in Tuesday folders or linked below) by Friday. We're going to have a great time learning some new digital skills!
Our campus is participating in the American Heart Associations' Jump Rope for Heart. Don't forget to send your pledges back this week!
The yearbook is NOW on sale. You may purchase through the school or online. The basic book is $20.
Order and pay online: ybpay.lifetouch.com ID Code: 10305116
Order at school: Make checks payable to Chavez Elementary or pay in cash.
What We Are Learning This Week
Great Expectation Life Principle: Loyalty
Math: Equivalent Fractions & Comparing Fractions
Social Studies: Symbols of Texas
Writing: Expository Writing (Writing to Explain)
Language: Sentence combining
Don't forget your books for library on Tuesday.
Academic Fair Projects
Morning Tutorials Are Open - 7:10-7:40 am
In our class, students who attend will receive a healthy snack when they bring their attendance ticket to me.
Important!!! Be Sure to Join Us On:
Edmodo - Our Communication System & Protected Learning System
Go to www.edmodo.com.
Have your student sign in. (Username and password are inside front agenda cover.)
Scroll down the left side of the page until you see Parent Code. Write this code down.
Logout (upper right corner, click on “Me” and select Logout).
Go to www.edmodo.com and select “I’m a Parent” (under blue box that reads “I’m a Teacher”).
Enter your student’s code and set up your account.
Make sure to go Account (upper right corner, click on “Me”) and select "Settings". You can select to have email or text alerts for specific items.
On our Edmodo site, you can see:
Daily agenda (planner/calendar)
Homework links (Folder->Classroom Information)
Subject area links
- Determine a fixed spot to plug in your Chromebook EVERY night so that it is charged and ready to go the next day. We have found that this step is crucial to keeping your Chromebook working properly. Keep your charger in your laptop bag when not charging.
- Please be sure to keep case free and clean. Stickers and moisture can damage devices.
- Make sure you bring your Chromebook every day in the computer bag/sleeve. This is an essential school supply, not an extra.
- Monitor your child's computer usage in a common area.
- If students are not taking care of their computer responsibly, computers will stay at school. If you would prefer that it stays at school, please just let me know.
Homework Expectations: 1. Read a minimum of 20 minutes nightly and complete reading log. 2. NEW CHANGE - Each night students will complete a worksheet, SHOWING ALL WORK. 3. Practice vocabulary words. Test on Friday.
This Week's Vocabulary Words
Each child will be tested on Friday. Students are expected to be able to use these words in sentences. These are words we use day-to-day, so a functional use is critical to learning and understanding.
- benchmark fraction - common fractions that are used for comparison to other numbers
- number line - horizontal line with numbers listed in order
- reasonableness - state of having good sense and sound judgment
- area model - a visual representation of multiplication using a grid
- pictorial model - a model that uses pictures to represent ideas
- producer - people or thing that makes something
- consumer - a person or animal who eats something
- photosynthesis - chemical process where plants create sugar
- ecosystem - all of an area's living and nonliving things
- food web - interrelated patterns of eating among organisms
- food chain - living things dependent on each other for food
- devices - instruments made for a particular purpose
- reason - to argue by appealing to someone's intellect
- refine - to improve or perfect something
- ethnic - of or relating to national or cultural origins
- refugees - people who have to leave their country, especially because of war
- immigrants - people who travel to another country to live
- Anglo - a white American of non-Hispanic descent
- Latino - an American of Hispanic descent
- loyalty - faithfulness towards a person or thing
You can practice these words on Edmodo using the Vocabulary Spelling City app.
(Click on the 2x2 array of on the far right. When the apps window opens, select Vocabulary Spelling City, and go to Vocabulary Week 22 in the yellow section. There are lots of games to help you learn your words!)
To set up your account, enter your email address as your username. If you don't' remember your password, click the link. If at any time you are prompted for your student's ID number, just ask her/him to tell you her/his lunch number.
Dates to Remember
Week of Feb. 8th-12th
Chavez Library Scholastic Book Fair
Friday, Feb. 12th
Valentine's Day Party 1:45-2:30 pm
Monday, Feb. 15th
No School: Student Holiday/Staff Development Day
Saturday, Feb. 20th
Saturday School for Invited Students
Wednesday, Feb. 24th
Class & Spring Individual Pictures
Saturday, Feb. 27th
Saturday School for Invited Students
Tuesday, Mar. 1st
4th Grade Math Benchmark
Wednesday, Mar. 2nd
4th Grade Reading Benchmark
Friday, Mar. 4th
Grandparent's Lunch 11:20-11:50
Week of March 7th-11th
No School: Spring Break
WANTED: Used Dryer Sheets
Used dryer sheets for whiteboard erasers.
WANTED: Playing Cards
If you have decks of playing cards or UNO games, we would love to use them for math.
WANTED: Old Scrabble Tiles
If you have an old Scrabble set, we can use the letter tiles for our Word Work activities.