Weekly Memo: 02/01/16-02/05/16
"Overcome Mediocrity & Redefine Excellence"
Message From: Ms. Stewart, Principal
SUCCESS OCCURS WHEN YOUR DREAMS GET BIGGER THAN YOUR EXCUSES....
The energy at our school last week was invigorating and inspiring. It was a pleasure seeing everyone working collectively to meet expectations and continue our journey towards conquering excellence. I am proud that several co-teachers sought the opportunity to meet with me to define and redefine expectations to ensure they continue to meet the needs of our scholars. These conversations at times were challenging but we all kept our focus on the scholars. It would be unrealistic to expect that we will not encounter difficulties with communication and how we teach our students especially in our co-teaching model but it is quite realistic to expect that we all will exercise our best judgment when situations arise.
A special shout of appreciation is extended to our Deans of Culture, Ms. Charles & Mr. Quashie; our Code Blue Team, Ms. Didomizio, Ms. Morton, & Ms. Z. Williams, and Principal. Michelle Allen for presenting at this month's Saturday Academy. THANK YOU!
Understanding our school's PBIS systems is critical for maintaining a strong school culture that not only identifies students who may be at risk but also celebrates students in a uniformed way. Differentiation is becoming actionable at New Hope. The Code Blue Team helped teachers understand how to make simple yet impactful modifications to lesson plans in order to provide choice to scholars in content, product, and proccess.
Last but definitely not least, we were introduced to Nearpod through Principal Allen's presentation and learned the power of using and constructing questions as a means to enhancing student engagement and rigor while unpacking literary texts. This process allowed teachers to dig deeply into content in a manner that will further enhance our ability to raise student achievement for sure!
BE IN THE KNOW... UPDATES & INFORMATION
- New York State ELA & Math Changes: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5hvcxjxlctnSDlYRWoyc05Hcjg4WVdmWEZHZzJyVDNpYW9v. All New Hope scholars will receive a minimum of 100 minutes for Mock Exams.
- Test Readiness Plan (3-5): https://drive.google.com/open?id=12eRla2tRixa_ojUvz20D3Y2n18QpAGupugS4ElY3fEM
- Unit & Lesson Plans: Plans should be uploaded to your respective folders in Drive. Lesson plans must be uploaded on Sundays by 6pm. Click here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By26LahbjNXAQ2xyNE83cmxpQk0
- At-Risk Student Referral: The Code Blue Team is streamlining the referral process for at-risk students who are defined as those students who are in need of academic & behavioral intervention but DO NOT have an IEP. See a draft by Clicking: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xg09PhuwoGaEoTgNWqjVn9rXM30lCXOx3nS1MA5vamA
- K-2 Formal Assessment Calendar Modified: Grades K-2 Round 1 formal observations will commence February 1st - February 29th. See calendar... Click here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1li2Jl2GwEfbLUVOVbctYhmQ548ezF-Jz9KqIQ-RoZpk to view calendar.
- School-Wide Data Access: In keeping with the momentum and planning with our Core Knowledge Curriculum for K-5, it is imperative that you have access to school-wide data and take the time to thoroughly understand the learning progression of CK & the CCLS. Click here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5hvcxjxlctnUl9zdTNsOHJnUEk
- First Grade Extended Learning Experience to Puppet Works.
Monday, February 1, 2016
- K-5 iReady Testing Window Closed: All K-2 scholars should have completed Diagnostic #1.
- K-2 Student Growth Challenge: Please input all student data resulting from the Round of the Student Growth Challenge. The winner will be announced on Monday, February 8th.
- 3-5 Ability Based Grouping Continues: On Tuesday, 4th Grade will commence ability based grouping instruction. The focus will reflect the current math topic and reading standards being covered or reviewed. Be prepared to discuss student progress during team planning.
- 3-5 Submit all NY ELA Rehearsal Booklets to Ms. Stewart by the end of your first prep. Test 2 for the mock exam is included in the booklet. A count of how many books each class is missing should be communicated by 8:30am. Please organize classrooms to meet testing conditions. Click here for the more details...
- K-2 Formal Observations begin this month. The schedule has been updated, Click here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1li2Jl2GwEfbLUVOVbctYhmQ548ezF-Jz9KqIQ-RoZpk
Tuesday, February 2, 2016
- ELA Mock Exam DAY 1: (8:30-10:30) for grades 3-5 will take place Tuesday, February 2nd (Day 1), Wednesday, February 3rd (Day 2), and Friday, February 5th (Day) from (8:30-10:30) (General Ed). All students who are "actively working" should be given more time if needed.
- IEP & 504 students will received their mods but must test for a minimum of 100 minutes.. For a listing of student with testing mods click here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QnVSG6K2q0XWvfaZwJMlxQ3OFRz1RKgBZweSO6WQtik
- K-1 Common Planning: Period 1: ELA Planning with Ms. Stewart (Focus: Fundations: Please bring the following: 1) All completed fundations unit assessments 2) Calendars for February-June 3) PDF version of your class' iReady student profile detailed report) Period 2: Math Planning with Ms. Barrow (Focus: Curriculum Planning & Pacing). 2nd Grade will meet with Ms. Barrow double periods.
- Data Tracking: ALL CCR data from current to past must be inputted into spreadsheet provided by Nigel, data specialist. The trackers shared by Ms. Vasquez should be used. Please see Ms. Vasquez or Ms. Giarrizzo for support.
- S.T.E.A.M. Team meeting in the Science Lab at 4:30pm.
Wednesday, February 3, 2016
- 1/2 Day of School: @ 1:15 Bring Your Data to PD Day... Schedule to follow...
- ELA Mock Exam DAY 2
- K-5 Team Planning should focus on the following:
- Research NearPod: https://www.nearpod.com/. This platform will be used for Reading instruction to engage students in interactive content, collect and share student responses instantly, and to track students comprehension in real time. EduCanon (https://www.educanon.com/) will also be the focal point for next week so familiarize yourselves with how it will be used in the classroom.
- Ensuring all CCR data is inputted in addition to Fundations.
- Preview Pacing Guide & Unit in WriteSteps
Thursday, February 4, 2016
- 3-5 Common Planning: Period 1 with Math coaches Ms. Barrow, Jeanette & Lyndsey; Period 2 with Ms. Stewart (Focus: Close Reading & Using NearPod)
- Curriculum/Instruction, Professional Development & Data/Assessment Team Meetings. All three meetings will be held in NYU space permitted.
Friday, February 5, 2016
- ELA Mock Exam DAY 3
- Student Data Reports: Please use the following progress monitoring report for grades 3-5: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5hvcxjxlctnRFJsaXRiOTVURFE.
- K-2 iReady reports will be printed by Ms. Jada and distributed to teachers.
Professional Development Opportunities: NYC Special Education Collaborative
- If you are interested in registering for any of the sessions, please submit a request for approval especially if it falls on a New Hope Saturday Academy Day.