Weekly Newsletter - September 5, 2019
Our Mission and Vision Statements
St. Joseph Catholic School provides students with a safe and prayerful learning environment, enveloped by an intimate community of active and faithful families.
Catholic schools in the Diocese of Fort Worth are committed to opening the doors so that our students can reach further than the walls that would otherwise enclose them and therefore are able to recognize and cherish the eternal and transcendental goods of Truth, Beauty, and Goodness.
From the Principal
Today is the Feast Day of St. Teresa of Calcutta. There is much for us to learn from this great woman. One of my favorite quotes attributed to Mother Teresa reads like this, "There is always the danger that we may just do the work for the sake of the work. This is where the respect and the love and the devotion come in - that we do it to God, to Christ, and that's why we try to do it as beautifully as possible." The dedication of our students, parents, faculty, and staff reminds me of this quote. Day to day, we are all working together for a greater good, to serve Our Lord. In working together, this is precisely what we are doing. I am grateful each and every day for your children, and for your partnership in their education.
One only needs to look at all the beautiful photos in this newsletter to see we have much to be thankful for at St. Joseph. There is always so much happening on campus! God's goodness abounds!
In Christ's service,
Diane Price, M.Ed.L.
Theme for the Year: Goodness
Goodness Bible Verse for September
saintly quote to ponder
Enrich your soul in the great goodness of God: The Father is your table, the Son is your food, and the Holy Spirit waits on you and then makes His dwelling in you. — St. Catherine of Siena
New Campus-wide Virtues Program
St. Joseph Catholic School is incorporating a new virtues program across all grade levels to help forge a stronger relationship with Jesus, and to grow in both wisdom and virtue. The program is called: Virtues in Practice by the Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia in Nashville, TN.
Please click on image below to view the program. Program details may also be found on the school website under the "Curriculum" tab and in Parent Links under the "Resources" tab.
Latin and greek roots challenge
Save the date!
Reminders and Upcoming Events
- Early Dismissal and Mass - Friday, September 6th, students will dismiss at noon. We will also attend Mass on this day in devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. We will try to do this as many First Fridays of each month as we can. Please come in dress uniform. For background on why we try to attend as many First Friday Masses as we can, please click on this link: https://aleteia.org/2016/04/29/5-things-catholics-should-know-about-first-fridays/
- Iowa Assessments (1st through 8th) will occur next week. Please refer to the letter emailed out earlier this week for more details.
- NJHS First Responders' Breakfast will occur on Friday, September 13th. This is a time for the entire school community to come together and thank those who help us in our time of need.
- Please follow the Parent/Student Handbook guidelines on appearance and uniform requirements like socks, hair color, length and style, nail color and length, etc. Thank you.
- If you are an Amazon customer, please use Amazon Smile! We receive a donation from Amazon when you shop. Go to: smile.amazon.com to participate. It is a very easy way to support the school! Thank you!
- If you know a St. Joseph Catholic School alumni, please let them know we are looking to stay in contact, and would love to hear how they are doing. See the notice in our alumni section of below.
Home and School Association (HSA)
- Our next Home and School Association (HSA) Meeting will be held on Wednesday, September 18th at 7:00 p.m. in the school cafeteria. We hope you can attend!
- The children of HSA Members who have paid their dues to join, and are able to attend the monthly meetings, are allowed to wear any SJCS spirit shirt purchased through the school with blue jeans and tennis shoes of their choice to school on the Thursday after the meeting!
- Our first Spirit Night of the year: Jason's Deli, September 10th from 5:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. at the 951 West I-20, Suite 209 location. Come enjoy a meal, while a portion of the proceeds are donated to the school!
HSA Spirit Night Contest
This year we are going to have a Spirit Night Contest!
The class that has the most attendance for Spirit Nights will win an ICE CREAM Sundae Party!
Each teacher will be given an envelope to keep the receipts and it is easy to participate!
Three Easy Steps:
1. Attend a Spirit Night
2. Save your receipt
3. Turn the receipt in to your teacher (if multiple students turn in their receipt to one teacher, be sure to write all the students' names on the receipt)
HSA's Box Tops for Education - New Procedure!
Please watch the video below to learn how Box Tops have now become easier to collect! Just download the app onto your phone, connect to our school through the app, and scan your receipt. Any items your purchased associated with Box Tops will automatically be recognized and collected for the school...no clipping!
If you are still clipping Box Tops, please continue until they expire. We believe these will still be accepted. To help you even further, please find a box in front of the school office made for receipts for Box Tops (if you don't have the app yet-we will scan them) and for the actual Box Tops themselves. Please turn in receipts and Box Tops ASAP so we don’t miss the deadlines. They will be picked up every Friday afternoon. Our school ID Number for Box Tops: 184907.
New Rewards Program for St. Joseph - Office Depot! In addition to Box Tops, we can now receive rewards through Office Depot. To access their rewards system and to find all the details, please click on this link: https://www.officedepot.com/cm/school-supplies/give-back. Here is our school ID Number:
ST JOSEPH CATHOLIC SCHOOLID: 70094490 ARLINGTON, TX
Online orders to Office Depot can be emailed to Karina Frias-Esparza at email@example.com
If you have any questions, please let us know. Thank you for all you do to support the school!
Water Walk - A Must Read!
H2O For Life - St. Joseph Catholic School Water Walk Project Completed!
Safe Environment Training Requirement
Per the Diocese, as of 8/01/19 all school volunteers must be current on Safe Environment Training to volunteer in any role at the school. You need to go on the VIRTUS website and make a profile: https://www.virtusonline.org/virtus/ You can do this without signing up for a class. Profiles are needed in the new system so we know you have previous training, as the old database is no longer open for viewing.
Training dates are offered at various locations across the diocese. If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Lori Zalesak in the school office for assistance. In addition to all her other duties, she is our Safe Environment Coordinator.
Knights in Action!
Moments Captured around campus
more special visitors
Beautiful Work on Display
STREAM Wish list
STREAM Enrichment would love to have these items donated for your children's use.
- pipe cleaners
- clothes pins
- Popsicle sticks ( big and small) (colorful and plain)
- plastic spiders (Halloween)
- cotton balls
- candy corn
- marshmallows- small
- colored pom poms
- scotch tape
- gallon plastic bags
- Jolly Ranchers
- Hershey's Kisses
Do you have any information you would like to share with the entire Knight Community? We would love that as well! Please send your news to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once a Knight - Forever a Knight!
Meet our Dominican Sisters!
Meet our parish priests!
St. Joseph Roman Catholic Parish
- Be sure to look into FORMED.org. The parish has paid for your subscription to this vast library of inspiring videos and essential reads to help grow your faith. Just go straight to the "Enter Code" button and enter 4BDX9H to begin the process. You may also access this through the parish website link below. Enjoy!
- Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament is occurring after daily Mass in the Chapel until 5:45pm. Come spend some time with our Lord.
- Please enjoy this link to a lovely article in the North Texas Catholic about the pastor of St. Joseph Parish, Fr. Kelley: https://t.co/3ItrotxIyf
Catholic Diocese of Fort Worth link:
ST. JOSEPH, PROTECTOR OF FAMILIES, PRAY FOR US.