Digital Study Guides Using Thinglink
Thinglink is technically a digital storytelling tool. It allows you to take an image and embed interactive material (images, videos, websites, text) as hidden hotspots on the image. Mrs. Bach didn't want her students to copy definitions from the textbook, but rather find the material on their own and explain it in their own words. She gave the students a list of the various organelles (cell parts) and they used the web to find explanations for their uses in terms they would understand. As you will see in the following picture, the student would insert a dot where an important organelle was and that linked to the web that would help them understand it.
How To Grade For Learning
- "The primary purpose of grading should be to communicate with students and parents about their achievement of learning goals."
- The 3 C's of motivation: Content (things worth knowing) Choice (autonomy), Collaboration. Educators must emphasize that learners are responsible for learning.
- Assignments need to be the sum of objective completion rather than points given to answering questions or following procedures.
- "the teacher must stop thinking in terms of assignments, tests, and activities to which points are assigned, and start thinking in terms of levels of performance"
- Students can contribute to the summative assessment by answering questions about their growth: What was expected of me? In this assignment, what did I do well? If I had to do this task over again, what would I do differently? What help did I need from the teacher?
- "For grades to have meaning, they must be relatively pure measures of each student's achievement of the learning goals." Effort, participation, attitude, and other behaviors should be reported separately.
Let's Get Those 2018 Resolutions Started
- declutter your Google Drive.
- learn how to use Google Classroom.
- find out why Remind is an awesome method of communicating with parents.
- go paperless.
- take your students on a virtual field trip using Google Expeditions.
- figure out where that thing you just downloaded went to.
- setup a Google Sheet to analyze your data for your SGO.