HLES Parent Newsletter
November reminds us of the many things we are thankful for. We are thankful for our HLES students and families, our community, and a great staff at who loves and inspires our students.
Thank you to all who came out for Trunk-or-Treat! We had a great turnout, and a lot of fun! Also, thank you to all who participated in our Pumpkin Decorating Contest - we had over 120 pumpkins for our pumpkin patch!
Our Red Ribbon week was a huge success! We had great participation for our dress up days, and learned a lot about safety and saying no to drugs. Our Read-In and character day was also a a great success! Thank you to all who took part - it was great to see all our students excited about reading!
- Thank you to all who came out to the Grand Opening celebration of the H-E-B Fuel Station! Every MFISD elementary school had the opportunity to raise school funds when HEB guests came in, completed a passport, and cast their vote. Highland Lakes won second place, and was awarded $500 for our school!
- Picture ReTake Day is Thursday, October 8th. Picture forms were sent home in Thursday folders. Please be sure to send your order form back to your student's teacher on or before Thursday morning.
- Our cafeteria will be serving Thanksgiving lunch on Thursday, November 15th, and we would love for you to join us! A form was sent out in Thursday folders with information about Thanksgiving lunch. If you are planning to attend, please return the form by November 5th so that we can be sure to order enough food. Please come 10 or 15 minutes before lunch starts so we can get you checked in with your ID. We will pre-print badges for parents already in our system. Adults will buy a meal ticket ($3.50) in the foyer so that the cafeteria lines will be able to move quickly .
- We will be celebrating Veterans at Round-up on November 16th. If you are a veteran, we would love to recognize and honor you. We will have a special presentation at Round-Up (at 7:30 am), followed by a breakfast in your honor in the library. Please join us!
- Our school day begins at 7:45 am and ends at 3:15 pm. School doors open at 7:15 am for breakfast, and we begin instruction in classrooms promptly at 7:45 am. Please plan to have your children arrive at school as close to 7:15 am as possible so that they have ample time to eat without missing instructional time.
- We ask that parents who drop off their children in the morning do not drop them off earlier than 7:15 am, because we do not have staff available for supervision until that time. You are more than welcome to come earlier that 7:15 am, but if you do, please wait at the picnic tables with your student until our staff is available to supervise.
- Every Friday morning, we have Round-Up (our morning meeting). Round-Up will begin at 7:30 am and end at 7:50 am. If your student is a car rider, please plan to bring them to school at 7:15 am on Fridays so that they won’t miss out on any of the fun.
- Please continue to check Thursday folders for important information coming home. As we continue our focus on literacy, please be sure to read with your student daily and encourage them to read independently as well.
- It is never too late to volunteer! If you would like to be a volunteer at Highland Lakes, please call the office and we will get you plugged in.
- Should your student’s transportation/pick-up need to change, please be sure to communicate that to their teacher in the planner. If the transportation/pick-up needs to be changed during the school day, please be sure to call the office before 2:30. If your student needs to take a different bus, it must be approved by the transportation department. The number to transportation is 830-798-2300.
- If you are bringing treats for your student's birthday, please select something that is easy for teachers to serve to students such as cupcakes or cookies. Due to student food allergies, we ask that you bring treats that are store-bought with ingredients printed on the label. In order to maximize instructional time, we ask that parents do not go into their student’s classroom for birthdays. The school office staff will deliver the treats to the classroom for students to eat at the end of the school day.
One Novel Read
November 12 - HLES Superintendent Award Presentation @ School Board Meeting, 6:00 pm
November 9-16 - Fall Book Fair
November 14 - Turkey Trot
November 15 - Thanksgiving Lunch
November 15 - Model Mustangs (October & November) & 3rd/4th Grade Performance
November 16 - Veteran's Day Celebration at Round-Up
November 19-23 - Thanksgiving Break