November 2016-Ashford University Newsletter
Military Development and Engagement
The Military Community Newsletter at Ashford University was created for you to learn about and share community events, resources, and key topics relevant to service members, veterans, and their families nationwide. Please contact Ashford's Military Development and Engagement Specialist if you have questions or additional resources you would like to share with your fellow military community.
IN THIS ISSUE
- Career Services Events for Students and Alumni
- Military Education Outreach Team and Events
- Reduction of Three TRICARE Regions to Two
- Tutoring Services at Ashford (Available 24/7)
- Transitioning From the Military Webinar
Ashford San Antonio SVO Volunteer Event
Get Connected with Military CHAMPS
Nationwide Conference Calendar by Month: US Veterans Magazine
- Previous Editions
Upcoming Events: Webinars, Workshops, Teleconferences, and Career Hiring Events
Military Education Outreach Team and Events
Meet the Ashford Military Outreach Team and find out when they will be on a base near you!
Reduction of Three TRICARE Regions to Two
NEW REGIONAL CONTRACTS TO ADMINISTER TRICARE BENEFITS
Process referrals electronically
- Decreased wait times for beneficiaries to get specialty care.
- Less administrative burden for military hospitals and clinics
Share more data across the enterprise
- Improved beneficiary care coordination and access to care.
- Real time access to data on utilization and medical management.
Increase the use of analytics and standardized metrics
- Fewer gaps in care.
- Improved clinical quality and patient safety.
Do you (or does someone you know) have difficulty navigating websites, typing or reading mobile, tablet or laptop screens?
MerckEngageoffers a free resource that can help linked to on each MerckEngage web page!
It's called eSSENTIAL ACCESSIBILITY
eSSENTIAL ACCESSIBILITY is a free assistive technology that helps people who have trouble typing, moving a mouse or reading a screen, navigate the web hands free and more. It can be used on almost any website. You can install the app located on the eSSENTIAL ACCESSIBILITY web page.
This service is completely free from MerckEngage and Merck.
Also view other helpful resources available from MerckEngage.
Tutoring On Demand
We are committed to your success and know how busy you are. When you want help, you want it now, free, and live. As such, Tutoring On Demand is available to help you with writing and library work in every single course. It is available 24/7 so it fits into your busy life.
Please take advantage of this free support in writing, library, and in the courses listed below. You are here to succeed, and these tools will help you to achieve success. Please contact your advisor for additional information.
Interested in learning more? Check out this video.
Transitioning From the Military Webinar
Are you a Servicemember or Military Spouse transitioning from the military to the civilian workforce? If you missed the live webinar you are in luck! The webinar recording has been made available. By vewing the recording of this webinar you will:
- Understand the practicality of setting short term and long term career goals
- Uncover the skills you gained from your military experience and understand how those skills are valuable to employers
- Gain access to techniques and resources to help you network in the civilian community and plan your long term goals
- Appreciate the importance of managing stress as you make a major life change
Ashford San Antonio SVO Volunteer Event
Student volunteers assisted the farmer with:
- planting, caring for, and cleaning fruits, vegetables, and other edible plants.
- helped with the construction and maintenance of gardening boxes, raised beds, trellises, walking paths, and other existing structures.
- composting, weeding, digging, planting, watering, and/or hoeing throughout the fields.
- also assisted in landscape and property clean-up by picking up trash, raking, sweeping, shoveling, mowing, and weed eating.
There is another event coming up this month however if you do not live in the San Antonio area and would like to give back in your own community, contact Stephanie Kinman or Jennifer Morgan to see how you can build up your community while engaging with other Ashford Students.
Get Connected with Military CHAMPS
Ashford understands the challenges of being a military affiliated student while pursuing higher education. We have developed syllabus dedicated to addressing those unique needs. It is our goal to pair up Military Mentees with Military Mentors so there is common ground and cultural understanding where the pair speak the same language.
Deployments, frequent moves, and field exercises can all be distracting when you are attending classes. Connect with a Mentor who can help navigate those overwhelming scenarios, provide resources, tips, and personal experience to help you be as successful as possible while also building a relationship with a peer.
Top Reasons Mentees Join CHAMPS:
- To get to know another student on a personal level
- For support and guidance on managing time and other commitments
- For advice and encouragement as you begin your academic journey
- Tips to navigate Ashford Writing Center, Library and student Portal
Stay up to date on nationwide events that could impact you. Career expos, transition workshops, and everything in between. Presented by US Veterans Magazine.
* The newsletter may contain now or in the future links to other websites, such as links to military charities, discounts or offers, or other third parties that may provide services or products to you. These links and this information is being provided to you for your convenience and as a resource. We are not responsible for the privacy practices, the content of, or any other actions of such other websites or their owners or operators, information they may collect or information they may share. Further, the inclusion of an organization on this newsletter does not indicate an endorsement of such organization (or of any religious or political point of view promoted by such organization) by Ashford University or its affiliates.
Citations and URL Image Retrieval
Reduction of Three TRICARE Regions to Two Image. Retrieved from: http://www.health.mil/changes
MerckEngage image. Retrieved from: https://www.flickr.com/photos/48076930@N02/16315106064
- Calendar Image. Retrieved from: https://www.flickr.com/photos/9317081@N06/3751989987/in/photolist
Stephanie Kinman: Military Development and Engagement Specialist
Stephanie Kinman is a six year Navy Veteran spent two of those years attached to a Marine unit. She is well versed in understanding the unique challenges military students face. She achieved her undergraduate degree in Psychology from University of Phoenix and her MSW with a focus on Military and Veteran Populations from University of Southern California.
Stephanie is dedicated to the military student population and brings her education, social work background and personal experience, both in the military and in the classroom, to provide resources, community events, and hot topic webinars to the military students at Ashford University.
She created the Ashford Military Community Newsletter (that provides University, local, and national resources), oversees the CHAMPS Peer Mentor Program for military affiliated students, and recently kicked off the Military Speaker Series as a means to elevate military cultural competency university wide.
Please connect with her if you are interested in being featured in the newsletter, making a contribution, or looking to mentor other military students.