SD81 Board of Education Highlights
Reporting on the May 25, 2016 Meeting
In this Issue:
- Example of Excellence: School District 81 Honors Dr. Kristin Kopta
- Ms. Amanda Peterson Named Teacher of the Year by ABC Parent Group
- SD81 BOE Approves Tiffany Schultz as the new Principal of Washington School
The BOE approved the Payment of Bills & Payroll
- March 2016 Bills in the amount of $354,761.05
- April 2016 Payroll in the amount of $905,146.48
- Payment of March 2016 Legal Bills in the amount of $10,298.41
First Public Participation:
- Mrs. Kara Blomquist and Robin Fiala representing the ABC Parent Group awarded Miss Amanda Peterson the 2016 Teacher of the Year Award and $500 to use for classroom enrichment. Mrs. Blomquist stated that The ABC Parent Group wants the teachers to know that they are appreciated. The award is intended for the recipient to use any way he or she wishes for the classroom to help inspire learning. Their hope is to eventually award all teachers in the district. Miss Peterson was selected for her help at special events, increasing involvement, her passion, leadership and energy. Next year there will be a nomination process from parents, administrators, students, and others.
Example of Excellence
Thank You Dr. Kopta We will miss you
- BOE Bulletin Board: The SD81 BOE was honored with a 2016 Distinguished Service Award from the Illinois chapter of the National School Public Relations Association (INSPRA).
- INSPRA Award Luncheon: Members Downs and Ewanio accepted award for BOE.
- IASB Joint Annual Conference will be held November 18-20, 2016
- IASB Delegate Assembly
- A special board meeting and facility committee meeting may be scheduled for June 2nd. A special meeting is necessary to discuss the need for a new lease with the FDA to reflect moving the FDA's tower from its current location at Kennedy School due to construction.
Old Business Information
- Finance Committee Update: The committee met in May and Wendy Flaherty presented a tentative amended budget. The inception of the Kennedy School project prompted the needed for an updated budget, and the opportunity was taken to update transportation costs and other items to better reflect the District's expenditures.
New Business Information
- Tentative Amended 2015-2016 Budget: The tentative amended budget is on display in the district office and has been published in the newspaper.
- Bond sales information was given to the Board of Education members by Dr. Boryszewski through memos upon the sale of the bonds.
New Business Action
The BOE Approved:
- Destruction of Closed Session Tapes Over 18 Months Old
- Transformative Technology Purchase
- Personnel Addition of 4 1.0 FTE certified positions. Dr. Boryszewski commented that the District will realize a savings in eliminating nine paraprofessional positions and adding four 1.0 FTE certified positions.
The BOE approved and accepted the following:
- Classified Staff Hires
- Certified Staff Retirement
- Classified Staff Resignations
- Administrative Resignation
- Classified Staff Retirement
- Certified Parental Leave
- Director of Finance and Operations Contract FY2016-17
- Washington School Principal Contract for Tiffany Schultz
Second Public Participation