Brookwood Elementary School - August 27, 2021
Mark Your Calendar:
- August 30 - Specials: K-1 - Day 3; 2-5 - Day 8
- August 31 - Specials: K-1 - Day 4; 2-5 - Day 9
- August 31 - Dogwood Pizza Night
- September 1 - Specials: K-1 - Day 5; 2-5 - Day 10
- September 1 - IOWA Testing - 2nd Grade
- September 2 - Specials: K-1 - Day 6; 2-5 - Day 1
- September 2 - IOWA Testing - 2nd Grade
- September 3 - Specials: K-1 - Day 7; 2-5 - Day 2
- September 3 - IOWA Testing - 2nd Grade
- September 6 - Labor Day - Student & Staff Holiday
- September 14 - Digital Learning Day #1
- September 21 - BES Night at Texas Roadhouse
- September 30 - Fall Picture Day
News from the P.B.I.S. Team
Golden Tickets are coming to Brookwood! Students in all grades will earn golden tickets for displaying positive behavior at school. By following the expectations for our 3Rs (Responsible, Respectful and Ready), students will collect golden tickets. Tickets will be redeemed for a wide variety of rewards ranging from mystery prize bags, snacks, and extra activities. You can help us by reinforcing the 3Rs at home, too!
Calling all 5th grade students! Try out for Readers Rally!
Do you LOVE to read? Are you competitive? If you answered yes to both of these questions, you should check out Readers Rally. It is a quiz bowl style reading competition. Over this school year, the Readers Rally club will read 15 books and practice answering questions using buzzers at weekly meetings. In February, Readers Rally clubs from all over Gwinnett County will come together for the BIG competition.
All 5th-grade students who want to join the Readers Rally Club will need to read an assigned book and receive a qualifying score on the book test. Students who want to participate will need to stop by the media center any morning next week (August 30 - September 3) to pick up the assigned book from Mrs. Reynolds. The test will be Thursday, September 9th.
Only 20 students will be selected.
The book club will start Wednesday, September 16th and the remainder of the calendar dates will be given to students accepted into the competition book club.
Questions or Concerns? Contact Mrs. Reynolds at Karleen.Reynolds@gcpsk12.org.
Car Rider Parents
School is released at 3:20 each day. Our car rider line begins moving shortly after the release bell. We have made adjustments to load more cars and move the line quickly and safely with this year having the largest number of car riders in our school history.
We need your assistance. If you line up prior to the school release time of 3:20, you block streets and intersections and the line is not moving yet. There is nowhere for your car to move until school is dismissed.
If possible, we request you enter the car rider line between 3:20-3:30. This will be during the timeframe that the line will be moving. If you are blocking roadways prior to the school dismissal time, you will be asked to leave the line and return once school is dismissed and the car rider line is operating. Thank you for your assistance in getting our Brookwood Colts home safely.
Car Rider Procedures
Thank you for your patience as we continue to adjust our AM and PM car rider process. Please follow the procedures listed below to help our arrival and dismissal operate efficiently.
Car Rider Procedures
- We encourage you to let your student ride the bus to and from school. If you choose to bring or pick up your student, you must get in the carpool line and follow these procedures. Never park in an adjoining neighborhood, on the street, or in our parking lot to pick up or drop off your student.
- The carpool line begins in the lower bus parking lot off Holly Brook Road.
- Please do not make a U-turn in the middle of Hollybrook Road to enter the carpool line. Making a U-turn is unsafe and a traffic violation. Also, do not use the Brookwood Manor entrance or the neighborhoods across the street to make a U-turn.
- In order to arrive on Holly Brook Road in the correct direction to get in the carpool line, there are a couple of routes that can be taken. One option is to take Five Forks Trickum Road to Oak Road. Turn left onto Oak Road, then turn left onto Highpoint Road, which turns into Holly Brook Road. Another option is to take Dogwood Road to Mountain View Road. Turn right onto Mountain View Road. Then take a right onto Oak Road. Next, take a right onto Holly Brook Road.
- Cars are not allowed to use the front drive during arrival and dismissal times. (8:20 am – 8:45 am and 3:00 pm – 3:45 pm)
- FOR THE SAFETY OF ALL STUDENTS DO NOT DROP OFF STUDENTS BEFORE 8:20 AM. You will know it is time to let them out when you see the staff members come out.
- The BES Tardy Bell rings at 8:50am. If for any reason your student arrives after 8:50 am, you must escort your student into the building to check in and provide information regarding the reason for your student’s tardiness. The front drive may be used after all buses have left.
- Please also help us be safe in the car rider lines by not talking on your cell phone when you are dropping off or picking up students. We really want your attention on the students as they arrive and leave each day and on helping us keep them all safe.
- Please pull down as far as you can so that we can unload and load several cars at once. Please be patient and do not pass other cars while we are unloading & loading students. Please stay in line between the cones and the curb. Do not move until directed by BES staff.
- Students should open and close their car doors independently. We are trying to allow several cars to drop off and pick up their students at once and our attention needs to be focused on the safety of students.
- Please help us keep the line moving by having your child ready to exit your car. Masks and bookbags should be handy or already on your child.
- Staff members on duty will look for the student’s number on the car rider tag provided to you. Your car rider tag needs to be hung on your mirror each day and remain there until your student is safely in the vehicle. If you do not have your tag, you will be asked to provide photo identification and the pick-up process will take longer. You are welcome to request additional tags as needed through our front office.
- If someone different is picking up your student, you will need to send a note to the office in the morning. We will then give your student a pass to take to the staff that is on duty. The person picking up will be required to present photo ID that matches the name on your note.
- When exiting please follow the directions of staff members. Please note you cannot make a left turn out of the bottom parking lot during arrival and dismissal.
- Please know that safety is our priority, and we appreciate your help by following our procedures.
Brookwood Elementary Needs You!
If you are interested in applying to be Brookwood Elementary's next cafeteria monitor, please contact Bridget Fagan (770-736-4360) in the front office.
A MESSAGE FROM The BES HEALTH RESPONSE TEAM
Did you know that Brookwood ES has a Health Response Team (HRT) which manages and communicates COVID related information with staff, students and parents? The HRT gathers information, conducts contact investigations and communicates as needed. In the next few months, it is important that you continue to alert the school if your child develops symptoms or tests positive for the virus.
Common symptoms include:
Fever (100.4 or higher), Cough, Shortness of breath, muscle/body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, congestion/runny nose, nausea/vomiting, sore throat, fatigue
Brookwood ES HRT Members:
Brookwood ES: 770-736-4360
Brooke Ahlers: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bridget Fagan: email@example.com
Tiffany Pruitt: firstname.lastname@example.org
Debbie Taylor: email@example.com
Low, low Yearbook Price ends today!
Get your yearbook NOW for the lowest price of the year. Place your order TODAY to purchase this year's yearbook for only $32.00! The price increases to $34 on Saturday, August 28th. (Credit card installment plan is available.)
Celebrate Your 5th Grader in the Yearbook!
Create and purchase your 5th grade ad between now and September 27th to receive the EARLY DISCOUNT! This year we have two ad sizes to choose from:
- 1/4 Page - $20 (After September 27th - $30)
- 1/8 Page - $12 (After September 27th - $20)
Go to the Jostens website to purchase your ad before the price goes up!
Tuesday, September 14th is a Digital Learning Day!
On September 14th, GCPS will have a digital learning day for ALL students to allow teachers to plan future lessons for students. On this Digital Learning Day:
- Students can find all their lessons and assignments on eCLASS, but there will be no live instruction.
All students will complete their special area class digitally. More information is on the Brookwood ES homepage.
If your student is in need of a device to access eCLASS and Google Classroom on the September 14th Digital Learning Day, complete this linked form by September 3rd to request a device. Computers will be checked out to students on September 13th and sent home. Students will return Chromebooks, chargers, and hot spots on September 15th following the Digital Learning Day.
Mark your Calendar for PTA's 1st General Meeting of the year!
Media Center Volunteers Needed
If you would like to volunteer in the Media Center, please go to Sign Up Genius.