Strong, Sixteen, Sybil.
Greatest Woman of the Revolutionary War.
- Father fought in the French and Indian war, and also was a part of the local militia.
- Oldest of twelve children
- Only had one child
- She made the famous midnight ride to warn the minute men across the countryside that the British were heading their way.
- She rode 40 miles across the countryside, twice the distance as Paul Revere.
- So if Sybil had not warned the minute men the British would have taken them by surprise and they would had lost that battle.
- 1761 Sybil is born in Bradford, Connecticut, April 5
- 1775 Paul Revere rides for independence, April 18
- 1777 Sybil rides for independence, April 26
- 1784 Sybil marries Edmond Ogden, Oct. 24
- 1786 Henry is born to Sybil and Edmond
- 1799 Edmond dies of yellow fever
- 1838 Sybil files for a pension from the government, Sept. 8, but is refused
- 1839 Sybil Eddington Ogden dies on Feb. 26, 1839, at age 77