Learn all about safety with computers and everyday life!
Common Sense Security Practices by:Lauren Allen
How can someone be safe while at work? How should they sit at their desks? How about fire safety? How should a workplace be safe for the employees? If you want to know the answers to these common questions, you came to the right place! Here are some tips to solve these problems.
Workers have the responsibility to take care of their health and safety. You have to pay attention to the training you receive, especially when operating machinery. If you are not sure if what you're doing is right, ask for supervision, so you don’t hurt yourself or others. Always wear protective clothing if your job requires it. Report all hazards and injuries to your supervisor. If you can’t remember the safety rules, ask a coworker to help you.
To be comfortable where you work, you need correct ergonomics or the way you sit at your desk. First, push your hips back all the way, so you don’t slump in your chair. Next, adjust the seat height so your feet are flat on the floor, and your knees equal to your hip. Then put your chair back at a one hundred degrees angle to be alert while you are working. If you have an armrest, adjust it to where your shoulders are relaxed. After following these instructions, you should be on your peak performance at your job.
Fire safety is also important.How you react to a fire depends on how well you prepare for an emergency. Here are some simple steps to help you with fire safety, quoted by the Department of Environment, Health, and Safety:
"R: remove anyone from immediate danger.
A: activate the building fire alarm and call 911.
C: confine the fire by closing all windows and doors.
E: evacuate, leave the building.”
Creating a work setting that is safe 365 days a year is in all our interests. It is easy to see that health and safety play an important role in a decent office. I hope this information helped you make your workplace more comfortable, safe, and healthy.
How Do I Protect My Computer? By: Sydney Singleton
Has your computer been running slow lately? If so, it might have a virus. A virus is a piece of code that is capable of copying itself. It usually has a detrimental effect, such as corrupting the system or destroying data. Sometimes you might have a virus and not even know it! Here are some signs that will tell you if something is wrong with your computer.
1. When you’re surfing the web, you might run into a pop-up ad. It will usually tell you that a virus has appeared and ask you to download a paid program to remove it. But you are only downloading more malware! One way to solve this problem is to run a scan with a separate anti-spyware program. You could use SpyBot Search & Destroy or Ad-Aware. These programs point out dangerous ads that are trying to infect your computer.
2. Have you noticed friends and family replying to emails you didn’t send? Or maybe you stumbled across a post on your Facebook page that you didn’t write. This is a sign that someone has hacked you. The first thing you should do to try and fix this is to alert your friends and family immediately! Sometimes emails will contain a tempting link. And if they click this link, they become infected and the virus spreads even further.
3. Some striking signs that your computer has a virus are; it fails to shut down right away, or the machine slows down or crashes. To ensure the safety of your computer, make sure your software is always up to date. And also back up your computer often. This step is the most important because if your software is out of date, it can cause a lot of things to go wrong.
4. Shortcuts are a quick way to get from place to place. A helpful one that computer users like is the “three finger salute” or Ctrl + Alt + Del. This shortcut lets you open up task manager and shows you what programs are misbehaving. Sometimes when you hit this key, nothing will happen. This is often a clue that a virus is messing with your computer. Viruses tend to hide and keep you from removing them. Using an anti-malware software like MalwareBytes will help you identify those pesky viruses.
5. Besides the fact that your computer needs to be up to date, it also needs to have a firewall. There are two types of firewalls: hardware and software. A hardware firewall is between the broadband router and your computer. A software firewall is a program that runs on your PC. It monitors only the Internet traffic entering and leaving your computer. If you have Windows, it comes with a software firewall called Windows Firewall. Make sure you have one so you can protect your computer against viruses and malware.
You need to make sure that you do the following:
1. Keep your software updated
2. Don’t click on links within emails
3. Use free antivirus software
4. Back up your computer
5. Use a strong password
6. Use a firewall
7. Cut down on downloads
8. Use a pop-up blocker
Once you complete these eight steps, your computer will be a lot “healthier”!
The Use of Passwords By: Camilla Greene
Wondering how to protect a file? One way to protect it is to save it and/or send it in an encrypted format. Many software packages allow the user to encrypt sensitive and important information. Protecting a computer or file with a password is also important. This helps you prevent other people from opening your documents, workbooks, and presentations. You would not leave your car or home unlocked because it contains valuable contents. In the same way, you should password protect your files and your computer. This simple measure could save you valuable time money, and headaches.
According to time.com, 27 percent of Americans have had their credit card information stolen. 11 percent have had their computer or smart phone hacked. This is because most people do not have strong passwords. Hackers are everywhere! Do not think this will never happen to you. Those that think that way are actually the people that hackers target. They usually go for the most unsuspecting people, businesses, or schools. You must always have a strong password. Your password should be at least 8 characters long. Try to strengthen the password by using an uppercase letter, a number, and a special character. Do not use your name or your pets name as a part of the password. Hackers will usually try those things first. Many people will tape the password to the bottom of their computer. Do not store you password near your computer. If an intruder is searching for your password, the area around your computer is the first place they will look. Also, it is not smart to use the same password for everything.
Hackers do not get only common people, they also get businesses. Target, Premera Blue Cross, Anthem, Chick-fil-A, and Sony have all been hacked. Millions of people are affected including both customers and workers. Names, emergency contact information, social security information, telephone numbers, email addresses, and credit card numbers have been exposed. If a customer’s information is leaked or money is taken, the customer loses trust in the company. This could affect the company’s business by driving up prices and could even cause it to shut down. If the hackers use your information and destroy your credit, it could take years to repair it. This can cost you a lot of money.
Creating the password is the easy part. Remembering the password can be difficult. Here are some tips to help you remember your password. Relate your password to your favorite hobby or sport. If you are or were a cheerleader, you could say Ilove2ch33r!. You can also make a Passphrase. This is where you take a phrase, song, book, or movie, and use it in your password. You can also substitute numbers and symbols for letters in an easy-to-remember phrase. An example is h3llo2u. Remember, do not make your password too long. If you are horrible at remembering passwords or have too many, you can use the application Lastpass or Onepass to store your passwords.
Backup Recommendations: Darrah Butler
If your computer is infected by a virus there is only one “first step”. The first thing you should do is remove the malware from your computer.
1. Removing Malware from computer
Change your passwords
· Important accounts
Once malware has access to your computer, it has the ability to do dangerous things to your computer.
2. Cleaning Up
The second step is cleaning and updating your software if it is needed.
After a virus, the damage can permanently disable software applications.
4. Scan for viruses
After you reinstall your operating systems, install the antivirus software if you don’t have it.