Mrs. Birkland's Kindergarten Class
WE HAD A GREAT WEEK! TAKE A LOOK BELOW TO SEE WHAT WE HAVE BEEN UP TO.
This week’s letters were Yy , Yank the YoYo and Pp, Pat the Pizza. Ask your child the sign for Yy and Pp. With Yy we made our own yo-yos. With the letter Pp, we played with playdough pretending to pat pizza dough, make pies, make people, and even the letter P. We also searched for our letters in poems. We read “When I Get Up in the Morning” and "Mix a Pancake." Make sure to read these poems at home as they come home in your child’s daily folder. During this time we also worked on our kindergarten high frequency words. This week we learned our last 2 for the quarter if and said.
Making the yo-yos
Letters We have studied
Sight Words We have practiced-PLEASE PRACTICE AT HOME!!!
- Who were the characters in this story? (the people/animals the story was about)
- When and where did the story take place? (sometimes this can be figured out in the picture clues throughout the story)
- Can you tell me what happened in the story starting at the beginning? What happened next? Then what? How did the story end?
- Was there a problem in the story? How did it get solved?
- Did you make any connection in the story?
If your child can't answers these, then, open up the book and find the answers together. Happy Reading!
Hour of Code
How can we make something move without touching it or talking? We use code! On Thursday we participated in our district's Hour of Code. To prepare students to be career ready, we are introducing them early to the concepts and ideas behind coding and programing. Today was a jumping off point. :) We learned a big word- algorithm. It acts a lot like a recipe, or a set of directions to accomplish a task. Our task today was to help move a Flurb to his fruit using a 1 step direction with arrows. We then moved him to his flower pot using 2-3 step directions. We wrapped it up by downloading Kodable, a cool coding app with multistep directions for coding. We can't wait to continue to learn more about coding throughout this next quarter and beyond!
We moved from using hand signals to using arrows
Then we tried it on our own with paper
Finally, coding with the kodable app using multistep directions
United Way Campaign is Next Week
Each year our school district collects money for United Way. Families in our community utilize many of the services offered but most are non-profit so they rely on funds like these to continue serving the community. There are a couple ways to participate in our school community with United Way. United Way week is October 19-23. (Next Week) This year we will work to “Be a Lifesaver” to meet a building wide goal. Our school goal is $1800.
Monday— The flavor of the day is Cherry (Pennies)
*Incorporate as much RED into your outfit as you can
Tuesday— The flavor of the day is Watermelon (Nickels)
*Incorporate as much GREEN into your outfit as you can
Wednesday— The flavor of the day is Orange (Dimes)
*Incorporate as much ORANGE into your outfit as you can
Thursday – The flavor of the day is Raspberry (Quarters)
* Incorporate as much PURPLE into your outfit as you can
Friday— The flavor of the day is Pineapple (Dollars)
*Incorporate as much YELLOW into your outfit as you can
Parent Teacher Conference
Just a Few Reminders
- All students need a change of clothes labeled in a large baggie or plastic bag. If you have not sent one in yet, please do so.
- Water bottles are welcome on PE days. They exercise a lot and cannot be going out to get drinks all the time, so if they want a drink, they need to bring a water bottle.
Specials Schedule for next week
Mrs. Amy Birkland
Lunch Time 11:51-12:16